Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Silver
    '02 Trans Am WS-6, 6M

Wiper Arm Bracket Nightmare.

My '02 T/A's driver wiper arm bracket is broken (in half). I have the replacement part and I can't get the arm to loosen from the post! I've WD-40'd it and taped it with a hammer, and all the other normal ideas. I was going to cut the cowl cover to get the thing out , but I found out the covers are discontiuned. Has anyone experienced this??? If so any ideas??? I can't drive the thing as is.

11 years of bangin gears cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Do you have a battery terminal puller? That's what I use.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

^^ This. You probably need to relieve the pressure on it and it'll pop right off. Just do not pry against the windshield glass as it will crack.

Silver
    '02 Trans Am WS-6, 6M

Thanks,

Okay, bought the puller (as suggested) with a little modification (putting the nut on the know side to the end of the thread), it did pop off. Now the question comes up in regards, to the bracket, what village did GM kidnapp the idiot from that came up with this design? The upside down bolt was reverse thread pattern , it took forever for me to figure why it was tightening up!!! But got that done. Im out of wheel bearing grease so Im going to use idaletectric grease for the ball joint and its seal. And I thought changing the spark plugs from atop on my 89 T/A was a pain!!!!

Silver
    '02 Trans Am WS-6, 6M

Quote Originally Posted by cammed goat View Post
    Do you have a battery terminal puller? That's what I use.
    Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    ^^ This. You probably need to relieve the pressure on it and it'll pop right off. Just do not pry against the windshield glass as it will crack.
    Alrighty, got it back together, but the ball joint for the wiper transmission popped back out, so I had to take it apart again. I used a set of clamps to try to "press" the joint back in to the seal/sleeve. Does it take much pressure to keep that thing in place?

All I should have to do to finish up is to tighten the nut down and that should work to "press" the arm , or am I wrong on that?

Also the nut for retaining the wiper arm rolled down the fender and I can't find it (figures) , so I guess Im going to have to try to find a replacement for that as well. Does anyone know the demensions/thread pitch for the nut by chance?

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

I think you have to put some arm into popping the ball joint back into the sleeve. I *think* the sleeve is nylon. Should make a noticeable "pop" when snapped back in.

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Another thing...make sure the entire assembly is back in its original position. You want the wipers flush with the cowl...not in your field of view when not in use.

Silver
    '02 Trans Am WS-6, 6M

I think you have to put some arm into popping the ball joint back into the sleeve. I *think* the sleeve is nylon. Should make a noticeable "pop" when snapped back in.
    I didn't notice a "pop" but I was also affraid of bending the end of the transmission as well. The clamp I used escaped from my hand after some preessure I did use, I was hoping that was enough.

Silver
    '02 Trans Am WS-6, 6M

Another thing...make sure the entire assembly is back in its original position. You want the wipers flush with the cowl...not in your field of view when not in use.
    I did line everything back the way it was before I did the work ( the blades in the "park" position) . So I shouldnt have a problem there.

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

OK.

Silver
    '02 Trans Am WS-6, 6M

Well, I put the ball joint in the socket and hear the pop. When I start driving on the nut to reattach the arm, it pops out again. Talk about frustration!!!

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Might be twisting itself out of the socket. You might have to hold the wiper assembly together with one hand and wrench with the other. Or use a pair of channel-lock pliers to hold the two ends together while you tighten the nut.

Silver
    '02 Trans Am WS-6, 6M

I channel locked the two peices together and then put the arm back on. I turned the wipers on and it went to the top of its action, then the joint popped out again, refusing to come down. I'm dropping it off at a shop in the A.M. . That nylon sleeve is a non replacement part by itself and I'm just getting too frustrated repeating the same acts and not seeing a change. Last time something like this happened, I eneded up rebuilding my '89 top to bottom, and I don't have the cash to do that right now.

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Ok. I assume the nylon sleeve is cracked.

Silver
    '02 Trans Am WS-6, 6M

I think it probably is. I'll let ya'll know shortly after I find out. (Heres hoping I dont have to buy a whole new wiper trans!!!)

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

You're not getting the cup over the ball the whole way.. Had this trouble over and over myself too.. The cup seats further than you think.. I would also recommend slightly exceeding the bump stops for the arms durring reassembly.. Other wise the driver wiper will exceed the weather strip on the A-pillar due to the play in all the rubber jointed mechanisms..

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

^^ Agree. If for any reason the original part is broken, you may be able to source a replacement through a local boneyard. If not, you can try GM Parts Direct for a new one, or Trans Am Creations for a used part.

Silver
    '02 Trans Am WS-6, 6M

We'll see if I didn't seat it far enough. Dropped it to a local indy shop and showed the guy what I was talking about. He's going to try to reseat it first, and then take it from there if it won't work. When I start getting too frustrated (like with this time) I know to hand it off to a wingman.

Silver
    '02 Trans Am WS-6, 6M

Alrighty, just got the car back. The mechanic was able to totally resecure the ball joint into the sleeve. Its working fine now. Only ran me 50 bux. There was so little room to work in there for any of the tools I had to work, I'm more than happy to pay that little (especially as opposed to a new transmission). Thanks to everyone for the help!!

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Glad you got going again.. Now wait till the BCM fails and takes the wiper pulse board with it.. The pulse board is in the cawl too.. I have big hands and can't get in there.. I stripped that arm with the ball on it trying,, and the driver wiper would just sit there while the pass. wiper would wipe.. Had to tear it all apart for like the 7th time and remove the driver wiper drive, then weld the stripped lever with the ball back on the rotating assembly.. Total PITA..

Thread Information