Thread: winter startup

bright rally red
    2002 ss 35th

winter startup

Iv had the 02 camaro ss in storage since september. I start it up once a month does the freezing temps do any harm when starting the car or should I just leave it alone.

I start mine up twice a month at least in the winter even though my garage is heated and drive it around the block if weather permits. Let it run till the thermostat opens and blows heat out the heater. Move it back and forth at least. Letting a car sit all winter is not that great for it.

Dark blue metallic
    2000 TransAm

Quote Originally Posted by charlesss View Post
    Iv had the 02 camaro ss in storage since september. I start it up once a month does the freezing temps do any harm when starting the car or should I just leave it alone.
    I would recommend that you use a battery tender to keep your battery charged. It's a good thing to at least start you car once every couple of weeks (better if you can take it for a drive if possible) - it keeps the oil circulating in the engine so the moving parts have a film of lubricant on them. Try not to rev a cold engine: let the oil circulate for a bit through the engine until you start feeling some heat. Also, turn on the A/C (with the temperature knob cranked up) and let it run for a bit. There's compressor oil in the Freon which keeps the A/C compressor lubricated, and circulating the Freon helps keep the A/C system seals and hoses from drying out. As the saying goes, "Use it or lose it" is very true...

Quote Originally Posted by Fastcar View Post
    I would recommend that you use a battery tender to keep your battery charged. It's a good thing to at least start you car once every couple of weeks (better if you can take it for a drive if possible) - it keeps the oil circulating in the engine so the moving parts have a film of lubricant on them. Try not to rev a cold engine: let the oil circulate for a bit through the engine until you start feeling some heat. Also, turn on the A/C (with the temperature knob cranked up) and let it run for a bit. There's compressor oil in the Freon which keeps the A/C compressor lubricated, and circulating the Freon helps keep the A/C system seals and hoses from drying out. As the saying goes, "Use it or lose it" is very true...
    Great stuff!
    If it doesn't have a turbo or a V8, it doesn't belong on the road.

Hey guys look it came back from the shop! I still need a bigger wing though...

bright rally red
    2002 ss 35th

good points to remember thanks.

Thread Information