Window wiper motor...

Figured this would be a cake walk, but as usual, I've found a way to over complicate this. I have the other three bolts taken out already for the windshield wiper motor but for the life of me cant seem to get this star screw out? Any ideas? Do I need a power tool to remove it or what?

HO LS1 White Lt1
    99Z28 97SS #497

I just did the driver side motor using this http://shbox.com/page/windowmotor.html
    and it was a pretty easy (1 hour) job.

Good Luck

shlby123 doesn't need a link on how to fix his window motor. He's showing a picture of the his windshield wiper motor with transmission link.

Make sure you aren't working with left handed threads. Otherwise you might need to use one of those hammer actuated hand impact tools for screw driver bits and other tools like torx / star bits. Obviously you'll need to be very careful not to do damage so supporting the parts from beneath is critical. You are probably working against some thread locker.

HO LS1 White Lt1
    99Z28 97SS #497

Sorry for the brainfart; it was obviously a rough weekend...

Unfortunately my experience is pretty limited when it comes to this stuff so Im sorry if I come off sorta clueless. But, left handed threads? What's all that about I havent heard that term before.

HO LS1 White Lt1
    99Z28 97SS #497

you have to loosen a normal (right hand thread) counter-clockwise; a left handed thread needs to be turned clockwise to loosen it.

Is that most likely what I am dealing with here?

If you can turn the wipers on and watch the rotation of the motor and it rotates clockwise; you might have left handed threads. In some situations, the engineers want to make sure a bolt doesn't loosen because it is being torqued in the loosening direction when in use. When I was young Chrysler had left handed threads on their right side wheel lugs. A totally useless thing but that's just one example. I'm probably mistaken but I think alternator shafts are left threaded for the pulley.

Tried to loosen it as if i t were a left handed thread and stripped the head of the Torx Screw out. I tried to drill it out after that and still cant get the darn bolt out. This is a mess!

I'm sorry to read that and there's nothing I can say to console you.

If you can take a look at a new bolt that you are fighting with then you will have gained an advantage in removing it. Call a dealership and ask about that bolt or better yet, go to the parts counter and ask if you can buy a new one to get a look at it. After you see what you are up against you can go back to work understanding just what you are trying to do.

Try to visualize what the head of that bolt looks like below the surface right where it mates with what it is holding down. If you can center the right size drill bit and go just deep enough, the head will come off as a ring and you can then remove the linkage to expose the shaft of the bolt.

Since the head is now destroyed you have little choice other than to carefully drill the bolt head off. You need to be very careful not to drill into the wiper shaft below or the arbor of the wiper transmission. If done right, hope you will have enough of the bolt left to grip for removal. There's a chance that the resistance will be relieved and the screw will come out easily after the pressure of the head is gone - unless a thread locker had been used when installed. If you are not comfortable drilling or grinding the head away then you need to find someone who is. The right tool and patience is everything - work a little then break away. Select the right size drill bit and remove small amounts at a time. An alternative method would be to drill first then finish it off with a dremel tool with a carbide burr but in either case you have to be very careful as you remove the smallest amount of material and then inspect your work to make sure you are not starting to cut into something that you don't want to. WEAR SAFETY GLASSES PLEASE!

BTW, Torx screws are among the best fasteners for resisting stripping but if you use one size too small of a driver - things go bad. I know this from working with these fasteners on a daily basis. Once again, I'm sorry for your troubles. After you get out of this you will be better at the next project. I was 9 years old when I tore down my first small engine. Since then, each frustrating experience helped on the next frustrating experience.

Thread Information