Thread: window

black
    98 z28

window

Last night I rolled my window down and than I could not get the window to roll back up. Today I took the door panel off and two screws that were holding the window regulator were laying in the clear plastic shield. To get the window up, we removed the last screw holding the regulator in place so that we could get to the window motor screws, but in the process things started falling apart. The spring from the window regulator fell to the bottom of the door and the guides of the regulator assembly are no longer in their tracks. It looks like the channel that runs vertical might be slightly bent.

What I think happened was that the window assembly bound up and the torque of the window motor just ripped torqued everything pulling the assembly off the inner door and causing the channel to bend. Has anyone replaced basically the entire window assembly or have any insight to where I can find information about how to disassemble. I have found disassembly of a third generation window regulator but I don't know how helpful this will be; I have a 98 camaro. Any ideas or tips will be helpful, I am kinda lost at this point.

black
    98 z28

I have replaced both window motors in my car already. I am borderline expert on replacing window motors. The entire actuator assembly has been ripped off the door.

Ignition Orange Metallic
    '08 G8 GT

well my drivers side started dying last night... luckily I got it back up. I might be doing this fix NEXT weekend (as this weekend is st. patties day! ).

Quick Silver
    2002 Z06

Man screws falling out in the door panel. Was someone in there recently? Maybe your car was built on a wedensday

For all you window motor pros, you may want to fix the wiring so you don't have to do that every other year.

Slow Passenger Window - Want Passenger Express Down - Tired of Replacing DayTime Running Light Bulbs

Camaro Owners Click Here
    Firebird Owners Click Here

Need instructions to replace your F-Body window motor?
    www.AutoTrix.net

Black
    2000 Camaro SS

Same thing happened to my 98 except for the screws falling out. The rivets ripped out of the door. I bought a used door and am in the process of transfering the inards from the damaged door to the replacement. The one problem (of many) I ran into was the spring on the regulator fell off and I'm not sure if I need to just put it back on or install it with some tension to it. Anyone know?

Miss Pennsylvania ls1blackbeauty98's Avatar

'98 Black Gone :(
    01 WS6 Midnight Blue

i just had a window problem
    the steele peice that guides the window that has the rivits broke, i had to replace that channel. wasnt a bad job just trying to get the window to line back up on track was a bit of a challenge, we didnt use new rivits we used bolts. my window still isnt 100% but alteast it goes up and down staying on track

Black
    2000 Camaro SS

zman98- you mentioned the vertical track had a bend to it. Both of the tracks i have have a slight bend to them to follow the contour of the door. I have no idea what caused the rivets to rip out of the fiberglass.

Something Diabolical... chuckie669's Avatar
    2000 C5 Torch Red

edit... removed
    Last edited by chuckie669; 03-26-2008 at 06:28 PM.

Black
    2000 Camaro SS

Update- I bought a new GM regulator (with motor attached) on eBay from thepartsladi for $106 plus $15 s&h. My first attempt to install ended in failure. I couldn't get the mounting holes of the regulator to line up with the door. Rather than allow my frustration to lead to broken parts, I stopped and will try again in a day or two.

Black
    2000 T/A

guys I'm going to be honest, don't buy gm regulators and motors... just go to autozone, o'reileys...

I've had several f-bodies, and even my dad(who works for gm) said they're almost identical.

and the regulators from autozone are like $40 with a $5 core

Thread Information