Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Will my rear end snap ???

This is a discussion on Will my rear end snap ??? within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Girdles are a worthwhile addition, but I say that with a rearend that is worth spending money on. Under load, ...

Girdles are a worthwhile addition, but I say that with a rearend that is worth spending money on.

Under load, the pinion tries to climb the ring gear. This forces the ring gear (and the carrier it's attached to) outward. The only thing holding it in there are a pair of (usually) cast iron caps. They aren't the strongest. Some aftermarket rearends will use billet caps for strength.

One way to give the cast iron caps some reinforcement is to install a rear cover with a girdle support, that has preload bolts to support the caps. This keeps the caps from squirming around (and they do move around). This also helps to prolong gear life. As the caps squirm around under load, and that carrier moves slightly (we are talking thousanths) Your gear pattern is no longer set where it's supposed to be and abnormal wear on the ring and pinion is the result.

Something Diabolical... chuckie669's Avatar
    2000 C5 Torch Red

Be happy its lasted 11 years. These cars go thru some hell.

Black
    BLK TA modded 12.2@113mph

FirebirdJones Where would I find the cover Summit and you mean a rear end cover right? I just ordered a relocation torque arm bracket the rear end mno problem but I snapped my tranny case really badly A new tranny is on the way and that was on the street at 20mph I floored it and SNAP oil all over the rd :-( Trans mount broken so new I would always recommend the torque arm not to be mounted on the tip of the tranny.. I might as well do it right I'll change teh 10 bolt later

Quote Originally Posted by Durango View Post
    FirebirdJones Where would I find the cover Summit and you mean a rear end cover right? I just ordered a relocation torque arm bracket the rear end mno problem but I snapped my tranny case really badly A new tranny is on the way and that was on the street at 20mph I floored it and SNAP oil all over the rd :-( Trans mount broken so new I would always recommend the torque arm not to be mounted on the tip of the tranny.. I might as well do it right I'll change teh 10 bolt later
    Yep I'm talking about the differential covers. Summit sells them. They have their own brand I believe that may even be a little cheaper.

Black
    BLK TA modded 12.2@113mph

So it will make my rear end stronger by holding thinds in place ??????

Black
    99 WS.6 - Modified

As strong as a 7.5" 10 bolt can get.

Well, to an extent yes. We are still talking about the 7.5 inch rear that has many other inherent weak areas like axles, pinion diameter, spider gears. The ring gear diameter is so small, that when you start adding more gear and the pinion gets smaller, so does your contact patch. A 4.10 ratio for example only has 1.5 teeth of the ring and pinion contacting at any given time. It's just a product of the small ring gear. Even a 3.73 gear only has 2 teeth of contact. It's not very much when you consider the power some people are trying to push through it. Very easy to shave the teeth off.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information