Black
    1999 Trans Am M6

Will bad 02 sensors fail emissions?

I'm pretty sure i have two bad 02 sensors. The SES light is only on sometimes but when i've had it scanned at Autozone, they can tell me two are bad. In CT, i would probably fail emissions because of a SES code right?
    1999 Trans Am M6
    SLP Short Throw, Lid and CAI, Strano Springs, Koni Sport Shocks, BMR STB and SFC, UMI PHB, Pacesetter LT's and ORY, Magnaflow Catback, DMH 3" E-Cutout, LS7 Clutch, Motive 4.10, 160 T-Stat, MSD wires,, 17x9.5 Chrome C6's wrapped in Hankook 275/40/17

Tuned at Mongillo Motors in New Haven, CT - 303 RWHP and 308 RWTQ

Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

Yes it will cause you to fail an inspection!!!

And yes it is possiable to ruin both of them. I've had customers do it by running leaded race fuel and some octane boosters.

You can check them once they get to temp. with a multi meter to see if they are cycling voltage or not.
    Don't be afraid of the bottle!!! Be afraid of your tune!!!

Black
    1999 Trans Am M6

Quote Originally Posted by LS2Tuner View Post
    Yes it will cause you to fail an inspection!!!

And yes it is possiable to ruin both of them. I've had customers do it by running leaded race fuel and some octane boosters.

You can check them once they get to temp. with a multi meter to see if they are cycling voltage or not.
    Yea, thats what i thought. I definitely know they're bad, cuz i've looked at them already.
    So now i have to decide.... get two new 02's or get lt's, catted y and 02 simms.....

Black
    2002 Camaro SS

went through emissions with my 02 ss last year. All they did for me was plug into the ODB2 port and scan it, I think it's as simple as no codes = you pass. To what extent they read the computer I don't know. I imagine they specifically look for operating O2 sensors in the computer programming, so it's not like you can reprogram it and delete the O2's, or even the SES code altogether?

The only good thing about emissions now is it's not at a state facility. I swear they screened their employees and you had to be an crooked asshole with an ego to work there. At least now it's done by private businesses, so if you can find a decent shop they won't be looking for anything to fail you on. The place I went to was good, AJ's 851 river rd in shelton. if you're close, stop by and ask. I stopped in prior to my emissions to check the place out and ask questions and they were cool. I have a black ss with no dents or marks and I was very hesitant about getting emissions done.

Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

Quote Originally Posted by GottaHaveLS1 View Post
    Yea, thats what i thought. I definitely know they're bad, cuz i've looked at them already.
    So now i have to decide.... get two new 02's or get lt's, catted y and 02 simms.....
    You should be able to call and ask what there inspection includes........ It should only be looking for codes. But don't know ever state is different.
    Good Luck.

in az they only look for codes, so if you have your own code reader, just erase the codes b4 you get your inspection. Try not to do it too far b4 the inspection. If you just erase the code without fixing the problem the code will eventually come back.

Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

Quote Originally Posted by 2manycis View Post
    in az they only look for codes, so if you have your own code reader, just erase the codes b4 you get your inspection. Try not to do it too far b4 the inspection. If you just erase the code without fixing the problem the code will eventually come back.
    Not on ALL codes. Your some what right....... There are hard codes that will come back instantly if the problem is not fixed.

Black
    1999 Trans Am M6

Quote Originally Posted by LS2Tuner View Post
    Not on ALL codes. Your some what right....... There are hard codes that will come back instantly if the problem is not fixed.
    would the codes for bad 02's fall into that category?

Quote Originally Posted by GottaHaveLS1 View Post
    would the codes for bad 02's fall into that category?
    no O2 sensors will not throw a hard code

Thread Information