Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

pewter
    99 Trans Am

wIll 15w40 work in my 99 TA?

I work in a mechanic shop and we use Exxon 15w40 in all of the machines cars and trucks here. We have never had a oil related problem in the 32 yrs I have been here.I use it in my other cars and I have never had anything oil related to happen to them. When I tear one down for anything. there is nothing but cleaness,but I need to know if this oil will work just as good in my 99 TA,it seems to be a good oil, Exxon 15w40.What do you think.I know it's Dino oil but it's free.I change my oil every three months.never gets 3000 miles on any of them.

Awaiting Activation
    That is diesel oil, and is kinda thick for our motors on start up.... I run 5w50 synthetic, you get the best of both worlds. Pay now or pay later.

SOM
    2001 Z28 (Sara)

15w40 oil is used exclusivly (sp) in diesel engines, and I would think it would be to thick for the LS1 engines.

In your geographic location, I would use a 10w30 weight oil.

SteveC

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

At ever Cat dealer in MI, They use 15w40. Its more commonly used in diesels. Even Cat is starting to stray away from 15w40 and go to a 10w30.

pewter
    2000 camaro ss

The motor is designed to run on a 30 weight oil. Putting 40 weight just make it harder for your engine to circulate and raise
    Oil temps for fun which isn't good. So do your engine a favor and run a Quility 5w30 or 10w30 oil

pewter
    2000 camaro ss

Quote Originally Posted by 99_Z28 View Post
    That is diesel oil, and is kinda thick for our motors on start up.... I run 5w50 synthetic, you get the best of both worlds. Pay now or pay later.
    I hope sarge sees this maybe set you straight, why run a 5w50 do you think it protects better

Post 40, 50, too thick...

Unless you’re doing some extreme racing and see that your oil is shearing down from the high temps generated, you don’t need a 40 or 50 grade motor oil.

You know for sure what motor oil grade you need for your application by comparing the read outs of an accurate oil temperature & oil pressure gauge.

But then again, Sarge runs 10.90 ETs with his modified GTO and uses 10W-30 motor oil.

For a lot of engines, especially LS1 powered ones; the better rout to go is a good 0W-30, 5W-30 or 10W-30 motor oil.

CompSyn

Black
    2000 Camaro Z28 (sold)

The manual says to use 10W 30 in above freezing temps, and 5W 30 in below freezing temps....

Awaiting Activation
    Quote Originally Posted by zmg00camaross View Post
    I hope sarge sees this maybe set you straight,

why run a 5w50 do you think it protects better

My motor is kinda tired, so when the car is getting beat on and the motor gets hot the oil pressure will drop. So I dont think it would be a good idea to run water for oil.

Tan
    2002 GMC Yukon

Quote Originally Posted by CompSyn View Post
    Unless you’re doing some extreme racing and see that your oil is shearing down from the high temps generated, you don’t need a 40 or 50 grade motor oil.

You know for sure what motor oil grade you need for your application by comparing the read outs of an accurate oil temperature & oil pressure gauge.

But then again, Sarge runs 10.90 ETs with his modified GTO and uses 10W-30 motor oil.

For a lot of engines, especially LS1 powered ones; the better rout to go is a good 0W-30, 5W-30 or 10W-30 motor oil.

CompSyn
    Yep. You should run lower multigrade as you can. Including 0 and 5 for winter. 10 when it isn't so cold. Generalizing here, I know.

teal
    1998z28m6- 1999z28a4

what is a good additive for the oil i use lucas is this a wast of money .

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by zparker View Post
    What’s your objective with using the Lucas oil additive?

515 HP TrickFlow Package BADASS2000SS's Avatar

440 RWHP / 410 TQ
    2000 SLP CAMARO SS

Try reading up on this thread:

http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1299
    2000 SLP Camaro SS M6 * 515 HP TrickFlow Package * FAST 92 MM Intake * Nick Williams 92 MM TB * Volant CAI * Granatelli MAF * Full Custom True Dual Exhaust with X-Pipe * Tuned by Breathless Performance

teal
    1998z28m6- 1999z28a4

longer oil life better lubrication

White
    01 Camaro 6speed

i use to use 10-60 in my 01 M3 and that was a high reving motor, but in our cars i dont think you need it at all unless your burning oil. I went from 5-30 to 10-60 in my M because i was burning oil and the problem was solved not to mention thats what BMW all of the sudden recommended for there M cars. So it really depends on how your motor is running and what your doing with it.

longer oil life better lubrication
    I haven’t seen any Used Oil Analysis results that substantiated the claims of “longer oil life better lubrication”.

Not trying to trash Lucas, just stating the facts as I know them.

CompSyn

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Totally useless. Waste of money. Does more long term harm than good.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Quote Originally Posted by karpetcm View Post
    i use to use 10-60 in my 01 M3 and that was a high reving motor, but in our cars i dont think you need it at all unless your burning oil. I went from 5-30 to 10-60 in my M because i was burning oil and the problem was solved not to mention thats what BMW all of the sudden recommended for there M cars. So it really depends on how your motor is running and what your doing with it.
    Yeah....the bearing clearances on those things I could stick my finger between.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Quote Originally Posted by Street Fighter View Post
    I work in a mechanic shop and we use Exxon 15w40 in all of the machines cars and trucks here. We have never had a oil related problem in the 32 yrs I have been here.I use it in my other cars and I have never had anything oil related to happen to them. When I tear one down for anything. there is nothing but cleaness,but I need to know if this oil will work just as good in my 99 TA,it seems to be a good oil, Exxon 15w40.What do you think.I know it's Dino oil but it's free.I change my oil every three months.never gets 3000 miles on any of them.
    Yeah the diesel oils in a gasoline engine are used quite a lot for the cleaning agents found in them. Problem is diesel oils are loaded with catalytic converter killing add packs. With the cat issue out of the way......Exxon 15-40 wouldn't hurt your motor but is a little too thick. You need to be wary of oil flow ( often confused with oil pressure) through the bearings......a 40 weight doesn't flow through the bearings nearly as well as a 30 weight. Often times the misinformed will say "I have low oil pressure" and slap in heavier weight oils. Big mistake. They just doubled their bearing wear......The pump does not create pressure...the pump creates flow....pressure is from resistance to flow...from the journals/bearings etc. In an older engine those clearances have become "looser" from normal wear and your oil pressure will drop...but you have the same flow....
    So for an older engine continue to use a 30 weight....yes your oil "pressure" may be a tad less but your lubricating properly....

teal
    1998z28m6- 1999z28a4

no additives just good oil or syn ?

Thread Information