Red
    99 camaro Z-28

Wierd sound from under my car!

Here recently my car has started making a wierd ticking noise from underneath. When the car is put in drive or reverse from neutral and the tranny shifts in to gear the car makes a ticking noise near the middle rear of the car. Also when i accelerate it does it as well. I check the torque arm bushing but it looked good. The noise is getting worse every day. It acts like when ever a load is put on it something is popping. Thanks for the help!

Bright Red
    1998 Trans Am WS-6

Does it only do it while you accelerate? If so I would check the transmission mount. It happened to me...it could be the drive shaft hitting the underside as the transmission moves. It is a cheap part...after I replaced it the problem was gone.

Life in the Fast lane sunsetorangess's Avatar

Met. Sunset Orange
    01 SS

Check your U joints.
    J
    2001 SS, Its not the car its the Driver that matters....

Red
    99 camaro Z-28

Thanks for the input. Ill have those two things checked out. I know it sounds crazy but it sounds like a piece of tin or thin metal popping or snapping. I can me sitting still in park and pull it back in drive or reverse still with my foot on the gas and as soon as the transmission shifts while not moving it pops. It also does it while accelerating and when I let off the gas.

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

make sure your catalitic converters haven't taken a shit... sometimes they shit out and break pieces of ceramics crap stuff that rattle inside your exhaust..

PEWTER
    2001 TRANS AM WS6

U Joints Tick Like That I Would See It All The Time At Work

Bright Red
    1998 Trans Am WS-6

I do remember a ticking sound when I put my car in gear before my transmission mount went...I ignored that sound until I started to feel vibration while I accelerated...my mechanic told me I needed a new drive shaft. I got a new one at the dealer and put it on myself and after $500-$600 I still had my problem. It wasn't until after I started reading on LS1.com I was told to look at the transmission mount. I climbed under my car and sure enough I had a big crack in my mount...something my former mechanic did not see. I think the part was under $50...all my problems went away. The mounts take a beating with all the torque. Before you spend all kinds of money take a good hard look...your mount be just going bad so it might be not as easy to see.

Quick Silver
    2002 Z06

Sounds like U Joints to me also.

However, I've had several tranny mounts of the years look just fine until I pulled the cross member off and the mount came with it. Sometimes it will detach from the metal plate and the weight of the transmission will keep it looking like there is nothing wrong. Hard to see without taking it apart sometimes.

Good luck!

Slow Passenger Window - Want Passenger Express Down - Tired of Replacing DayTime Running Light Bulbs

Camaro Owners Click Here
    Firebird Owners Click Here

Need instructions to replace your F-Body window motor?
    www.AutoTrix.net

Red
    99 camaro Z-28

Well guys replaced u joints and the sound is still coming from underneath my car. I guess ill check my transmission mount next.

2 badass birds

RED/black
    97ws6/05 GTO

mine was the over the axel pipe(by rh rear tire) just barley touching the shield, slight tweek by hand all is well.

Red
    99 camaro Z-28

Ok, finally had anough and went to vengeance racing and let ron take a look at it for me. He came to the conclusion that its in the rear end. He said its the crush pinion or bearing I guess thats went bad and the pinion and ring have some play in it now. This is making the drive shaft resonate the popping noise like a ticking of metal to metal. So I guess now its time to rebuild the rear end.

Thread Information