Results 1 to 16 of 16

Why would this happen?

This is a discussion on Why would this happen? within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Why would it crack this way?...

  1. #1
    Yeah baby! Yeah! silverWS6's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    okc
    Posts
    2,571

    Silver 2002 WS.6
    Red 1989 Formula

    Why would this happen?

    Why would it crack this way?


  2. #2
    Member zmg00camaross's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    missouri
    Posts
    764

    pewter
    2000 camaro ss

    Bad luck, vibration or manufactor defect

  3. #3
    Senior Member bills98ta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    St Thomas, PA
    Posts
    5,047

    White
    1998 Trans Am

    Missing the rubber in the socket, or binding it when tightening / loosening.

  4. #4
    Yeah baby! Yeah! silverWS6's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    okc
    Posts
    2,571

    Silver 2002 WS.6
    Red 1989 Formula

    Quote Originally Posted by bills98ta View Post
    Missing the rubber in the socket, or binding it when tightening / loosening.
    No it happened while driving the car, not while putting it on or taking it off...

  5. #5
    Senior Member bills98ta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    St Thomas, PA
    Posts
    5,047

    White
    1998 Trans Am

    It might have been cracked before you got it. Brand new, it's hard to see it, until it gets dirty. Nothing your motor caused. That's the good thing !!!

  6. #6
    Smiles for 9.5 Years cammed goat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Paterson/Ridgewood, NJ
    Posts
    11,474

    Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

    May have been dropped at the parts store by an employee.

  7. #7
    Yeah baby! Yeah! silverWS6's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    okc
    Posts
    2,571

    Silver 2002 WS.6
    Red 1989 Formula

    No no guys, cuz when I first put em on the car was running great! And then one day it started acting funny and messing up and stuff.. so I checked my plugs and that one was cracked on piston #4 so I replaced it and my baby was back to normal. And it hasn't done it again, that happened about 4 months ago but I barely got around to posting it, I know I slacked it.

  8. #8
    Smiles for 9.5 Years cammed goat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Paterson/Ridgewood, NJ
    Posts
    11,474

    Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

    Could have been a defect in the ceramic and maybe the heat caused the crack to spread?

  9. #9
    Impounded
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Beaver Dam KY
    Posts
    7,746

    79 T/A -91 Firebird
    1998 Trans Am -Oynx Black

    Ceramic heat cycled and cracked. It does happen often. Its just a defect.

    Probably was dropped and the heat cycles caused it to split.

  10. #10
    Moderator Cutlass's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Madison, WI
    Posts
    6,996

    1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

    It may not even be a crack all the way through. It probablly carbon tracking. The spark jumps down the outside of the white insulator and etches a carbon track. Its caused by bad plug wires and other things. When ever you have a carbon tracked plug, you need to also change the plug wire on that cylinder because the wire will usually have a carbon track as well which will lead to the plug carbon tracking again.

  11. #11
    Member TOMASINO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    downers grove
    Posts
    206

    white
    2000

    Quote Originally Posted by silverWS.6 View Post
    No it happened while driving the car, not while putting it on or taking it off...
    stock coils??? or aftermarket??

  12. #12
    Yeah baby! Yeah! silverWS6's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    okc
    Posts
    2,571

    Silver 2002 WS.6
    Red 1989 Formula

    Quote Originally Posted by Cutlass View Post
    It may not even be a crack all the way through. It probablly carbon tracking. The spark jumps down the outside of the white insulator and etches a carbon track. Its caused by bad plug wires and other things. When ever you have a carbon tracked plug, you need to also change the plug wire on that cylinder because the wire will usually have a carbon track as well which will lead to the plug carbon tracking again.
    Now that i remember i did have to change the wire cuz my header was actually burning it, and it was burned up on the outside a little bad...

    it has msd wires with stock coils

  13. #13
    Senior Member JaycenK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Holiday,FL
    Age
    40
    Posts
    1,378

    Green
    1997 Camaro Z-28

    Quote Originally Posted by bills98ta View Post
    Missing the rubber in the socket, or binding it when tightening / loosening.
    What he said!!! you wouldn't even know you did it. I cant tell you how many time I have done this on my LT1 cause there is no room and you bind it ever so slightly and it gets one or two heat cycles on it then BAM!!!
    miss fire.

  14. #14
    Yeah baby! Yeah! silverWS6's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    okc
    Posts
    2,571

    Silver 2002 WS.6
    Red 1989 Formula

    Quote Originally Posted by JaycenK View Post
    What he said!!! you wouldn't even know you did it. I cant tell you how many time I have done this on my LT1 cause there is no room and you bind it ever so slightly and it gets one or two heat cycles on it then BAM!!!
    miss fire.
    i would also think that if it was like piston #7 or #5 or maybe even #8 or #3 but #4 is fairly easy to reach

  15. #15
    Member TOMASINO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    downers grove
    Posts
    206

    white
    2000

    Quote Originally Posted by silverWS.6 View Post
    Now that i remember i did have to change the wire cuz my header was actually burning it, and it was burned up on the outside a little bad...

    it has msd wires with stock coils
    just change that coil with the broken plug , but before try one more time with ac delcos plugs

  16. #16
    Yeah baby! Yeah! silverWS6's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    okc
    Posts
    2,571

    Silver 2002 WS.6
    Red 1989 Formula

    I've always used tr-55's and it had never happened and I just changed the plug and wire and its been about 5 months now and its been good... I think it was just like manufacture defect

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Has anyone had this happen?
    By TA98 in forum General Help
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 12-05-2009, 10:46 PM
  2. How does this happen??? Again!
    By FORD RECOVERY EXPERT in forum Almost Anything Goes
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 10-31-2009, 10:14 AM
  3. Question: never had this happen before..
    By Brad(WS/Z0.6) in forum Manual Transmission
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-03-2009, 03:25 PM
  4. Could this actually happen to us?
    By Mr. Hyde in forum Political / Debate Forum
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 05-28-2008, 07:49 AM
  5. this ever happen to anyone?
    By badazta in forum Almost Anything Goes
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 05-23-2007, 03:20 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •