Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Yellow
    1978 Z28 in market for TA

Why the price differance?

So this is my first post here, (i have been lurking for just a bit) and i need a little input. I have really been looking into getiin a 99-02 Trans am when i get back to the states, and i have noticed that there is a significant price differance between the same year Trans am vs Z/28. why is that? It is basically the same car right? Thanks in advance

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Trans Ams are far cooler imo.

383 w/Meth & ProCharger
    2001 Camaro Z28

I agree, Trans Am's look great in my rearview mirror.

The motor and driveline are all the same. If you plan on doing mods to your future fbody....I suggest you spend the least amount on buying which ever car and put the extra money towards modding it. All depends on what you plan for the car.

Red
    2001 ws6

because people arent as interested in buying a catfish to drive around in

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by ntimid8r View Post
    I agree, Trans Am's look great in my rearview mirror.
    Ditto.

NBM
    2002 z28 camaro

Quote Originally Posted by SBnBOTL View Post
    So this is my first post here, (i have been lurking for just a bit) and i need a little input. I have really been looking into getiin a 99-02 Trans am when i get back to the states, and i have noticed that there is a significant price differance between the same year Trans am vs Z/28. why is that? It is basically the same car right? Thanks in advance
    I noticed that when I was shopping for my car. That is the ONLY reason I went with my Z is the difference in price. Yes the T/As look better blah blah blah but I wanted the power train more than anything.

Plus we all know what P.O.N.T.I.A.C. stands for. LOL!

Yellow

thanks for the input. id really like the TA since i like the looks a little better i just dont know if that will justify the extra $ in my own head. and since i already have one Z/28 maby ill just get another. i guess whatever deal hits me in the face is what ill do. i know the common issues with TA's but what about camaros?

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

I bought my Camaro SS new in 02, haven't ever had one issue with anything on it. I also had a 96 Camaro that I put close to 209K on and it still runs.

Someone else will chime in with maybe an issue they had, but I am not aware of any common issues with them.

Black
    00 NHRA Formula

thanks for the input. id really like the TA since i like the looks a little better i just dont know if that will justify the extra $ in my own head. and since i already have one Z/28 maby ill just get another. i guess whatever deal hits me in the face is what ill do. i know the common issues with TA's but what about camaros?
    Trust me...if you think the T/A looks better GET ONE! You will most likely spend a lot of time in it, admiring it, others admiring it...you want to buy the one you really want.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 Firebird Formula

Quote Originally Posted by bryceslu View Post
    Trust me...if you think the T/A looks better GET ONE! You will most likely spend a lot of time in it, admiring it, others admiring it...you want to buy the one you really want.
    Agreed, get the one you like looking at. The economical route would be to buy the cheaper one and spend the money on mods (if you want to mod it), but you don't want to spend a lot of money and wish you had something that looked different. I've been there before, as I'm sure a lot of us have. Get what YOU will be happy with, because you may have it for a loooooooong time.

As for the price difference, maybe it's because Pontiac closed production.

Pewter
    99 Z28

^^ +1 If you like the look of the T/A better, buy the T/A. Worry about money for mods later.

Black
    2000 Pontiac Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by bryceslu View Post
    I agree.

Scott

Black
    2000 Pontiac Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    Someone else will chime in with maybe an issue they had, but I am not aware of any common issues with them.
    I bought a 2000 T/A new in 2000 and had a few problems with it: Both sun visors fell off, one on my birthday(!) and the cracks on the interior part of the door. Does the Camaro get them? I have also heard about the headlight motor's gearing going bad and the taillight water problem which has happened to my "new" 2000 WS6. Good luck in your F Body search.

Scott

SOM
    2001 Z28 (Sara)

I purchased the Z28 because I liked the look far better than the trans am.

SteveC

pewter
    2000 ss slp

buy a ss or a Z28then wth the spare money (since u didn't buy a TA) put nitrous and a procharger on it then u dnt have to worry about any T A's

Sold: LS1 '85 El Camino ls1camino's Avatar

2000 Grand Prix GTP
    2000 Trans Am WS6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by sscharged View Post
    buy a ss or a Z28then wth the spare money (since u didn't buy a TA) put nitrous and a procharger on it then u dnt have to worry about any T A's
    Famous last words
    2000 Pontiac Trans Am WS6 M6: 427ci LS3, Built T56, Moser 9" w/ 4.11 Gearing, Full Suspension, and 6-point Cage.
    2000 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP: Twincharged w/ a T67 Turbocharger
    2007 Chevrolet 3500 Dually Duramax: 3" Downpipe, Dual 4" Exhaust, EFILive Tuning

NBM
    1998Z28

Exclamation

Probally because they aren't gonna make any more Pontiacs. Kinda like having one the last ones made. Not worth all that much now, but in the future who knows? Maybe China will buy Pontiac like they did Hummer. Then you can ride around in a T.A. Ricer!!!! I'll just keep my Z28!

Yellow

Thanks for all the input guys! i got some more questions but ill start a new thread because the dont really apply to this one. (another chance for you to educat me)

Navy Blue Metallic
    `98 Formula M6 HdTp

My advice is never settle for anything less then what you want.

There are obviously several different options for LS powered F-bodies
    Camaro Z28, Firebird Formula, Firebird Trans Am, Camaro SS,
    Formula WS6, Trans Am WS6, Formula Firehawk, Trans Am Firehawk
    Each of these vary in standard content but all have the same drivetrain and available options.

Z28's and Formula's are more understated in appearence with the Formula having more std Content. The Trans Am has always been top of the line F-body with more std content and an in your face attitude. The SS, WS6 and Firehawk Pkg's basically add more performance oriented styling ques to their respective models.

And going back to my original statement,
    Pick the one that best reflects what you want
    Craig
    Semi Retired Street Racer
    2012 Lava Red Mustang GT Coupe Brembo/3.73's
    Build Date 3/17/11, Last Lava Red GT

Gone but not forgoten
    NBM `98 Formula M6 HdTp
    1 of 1 Build Date 3/12/98

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by NavyTATwo View Post
    I bought a 2000 T/A new in 2000 and had a few problems with it: Both sun visors fell off, one on my birthday(!) and the cracks on the interior part of the door. Does the Camaro get them? I have also heard about the headlight motor's gearing going bad and the taillight water problem which has happened to my "new" 2000 WS6. Good luck in your F Body search.

Scott
    Nope!

Pontiac is known for it's extra doodads that break or quit working. But as far as looks go, the T/A is pretty as compared to the Camaro. Camaros have a little cheaper feel inside aswell. Imho the composite head lights are what throws the whole front end off on the Camaro, they should have stayed with the sealed beam single quads imho.
    Last edited by Smittro; 10-13-2009 at 04:29 PM.

Thread Information