Pewter
    2000 Z28 Camaro

Why does is say 21,265 MSRP on my registration?

Did I overpay, i just noticed this:

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Manufacturers Suggested Retail Price and if you bought it used for more than that I'd say you overpaid.

Life in the Fast lane sunsetorangess's Avatar

Met. Sunset Orange
    01 SS

I would call up your local DMV but the chances are they are charging you on your vehicles MSRP from when it was purchased. With the way the economy is there finding everyway to tax us consumers and screw us in every possible way...
    J
    2001 SS, Its not the car its the Driver that matters....

Pewter
    2000 Z28 Camaro

I paid around 9K for it so yes, it looks like i got screwed

Red
    '72 Chevy C10 SWB

Wow, they rape us anyway they can. Just like insurance and the damn government. I wonder if there is any way of going around that or going off of the vehicle's current value. Probably not...

Pewter
    2000 Z28 Camaro

i will be contacting the country treasurer

Pewter
    2000 Trans Am

I only paid 54 dollars for registration god bless TX

Bone it like you own it FORD RECOVERY EXPERT's Avatar

Black / Stryker Blue
    2K WS.6/ 2K9 G8GT

Shit, Texas charges you sales tax on the KBB of the vehicle, not on what you pay for it...

I.E.:
    99 T/A... Blown engine, 2000 bucks? KBB = 9000..... guess what... you pay .0825% of 9000.....

Unless you Pay Carmax or someone else for a "Certified Appraisal" to verify the $2000 actual worth... but the "C.A." costs bout 100 bucks.... Fuck off government

Navy Blue Metallic
    2001 SLP SS Convertible

I don't like it for the same reason as you, BUT, the reason they do it that way is people committing fraud by telling the dmv they only paid x dollars, not kbb. At least with the presumptive tax everyone pays their share, instead of people trying to scam and then they raise tax rates due to lack of revenue and the honest people end up getting screwed.

Personally I think it's complete BS to pay sales tax on an item more than once. People who drive the same pos truck for 30 years cause the same amount of wear on the roads as someone who buys a different used car every few years, yet the people buying the cars are stuck with the taxes. Greedy MFers.
    Last edited by JAGUAR5822; 03-23-2009 at 03:41 AM.

Pewter
    2000 Z28 Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by JAGUAR5822 View Post
    I don't like it for the same reason as you, BUT, the reason they do it that way is people committing fraud by telling the dmv they only paid x dollars, not kbb. At least with the presumptive tax everyone pays their share, instead of people trying to scam and then they raise tax rates due to lack of revenue and the honest people end up getting screwed.

Personally I think it's complete BS to pay sales tax on an item more than once. People who drive the same pos truck for 30 years cause the same amount of wear on the roads as someone who buys a different used car every few years, yet the people buying the cars are stuck with the taxes. Greedy MFers.

It's not fraud...we shouldn't be taxed on a vehicle that has already been taxed when it was bought new. It's like charging sales tax at a garage sale. It's fuckin bs and there isn't anything we can do about it.

They don't raise taxes because of lack of revenue, they raise taxes because they just want more money. They make plenty of money and waste it on stupid shit, then they realize in order to waste more money on things we don't need, they need to increase taxes and implement new taxes.

I'll call them today and ask wtf is up with this. I found out my parents are paying out the ass on their Bonneville because it's considered a luxury vehicle. What kind of luxury vehicle costs 10k dollars? Theirs was 183 dollars...ridiculous!

I checked every registration at my parents place and they had this MSRP shit on all of them except the cutlass cierra. It's a 1987 and it didn't have it...

Red
    99 Firehawk (M6) #518

I pay $78 here in IL for registration on every vehicle I own and the Governor wants to raise it to $98. I have 4 vehicles and can only drive one at a time, but I have to pay for all of them. I should park some of the cars and only purchase one plate next year if this increase happens- they will end up with less money from me then.

Thread Information