Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Why does my 5th gear suck??

This is a discussion on Why does my 5th gear suck?? within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Originally Posted by Firebirdjones Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS Yea, I definitely don't drive mine like Driving Ms. Daisy Coming from ...

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    Yea, I definitely don't drive mine like Driving Ms. Daisy

Coming from someone who constantly preaches about 4.56 gears and lower and running around at 3K+ RPM, I'm finding all this questioning a bit odd to be honest
    Yep, it's there so I use it. My 69 Z (with 4.88's) is a muncie 4 speed, the chevelle with 4.10's is a 400 turbo. No overdrives, I buzz these around and don't think about it. However they aren't driven daily.
    The 2000 camaro on the other hand is a daily driver for my wife (and sometimes the whole family) Otherwise I wouldn't care didely about the 6 speed. Now with 4.10's the car is about perfect. With a .50 overdrive there is no reason not to put a rear gear in these things. I'd have liked a 4.30 to be honest. The beauty though is enjoying some rear gear while still knocking down mpg. Can't do that if you don't use it
    I understand. Mine isn't a DD either, as you probably know. It has 27K miles on it. So we're in agreement. I really didn't soak the kind of money I did into mine to worry about MPG to be honest. If I want good gas mileage, I'll drive my 6 cylinder car with active fuel management. I do agree that having the option is nice though. I like the 4.11 gears I have. It makes it hell on wheels and that's the feel I want. Cruising in 6th at 40mph or less for me just isn't an option. If I go through a tank of gas and a tank of methanol in a single cruise, I had fun, and that's what I'm after. The sound and feel is just too addicting to drive it any other way. At least for now. However, if and when I ever want to change those driving habits I have the option. Probably isn't going to happen though. Not with my plans for the car I'd say I'm usually cruising around at 2500-3K and I usually wind it up pretty good when shifting. Not always, but more times then not.
    It's on jackstands.

I understand. Mine isn't a DD either, as you probably know. I'd say I'm usually cruising around at 2500-3K and I usually wind it up pretty good when shifting. Not always, but more times then not.
    You'd be right at home then with a classic car and some rear gear

2001 3.8 Black - sold
    2000 SS Black M6

WOT and going into 5th, youd be doing like 140?...you do this on a regular basis?

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    I understand. Mine isn't a DD either, as you probably know. I'd say I'm usually cruising around at 2500-3K and I usually wind it up pretty good when shifting. Not always, but more times then not.
    You'd be right at home then with a classic car and some rear gear
    I will own one some day. Feel free to keep me to my word on that.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information