Why does this just start leaking ?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

This is a discussion on Why does this just start leaking ?!?!?!?!?!?!?!? within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; I'm talking about that damn irritating metal line on the steering rack that runs from the (more) left side of ...

Black, Red
    01 Z28, 05 Z71

Why does this just start leaking ?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

I'm talking about that damn irritating metal line on the steering rack that runs from the (more) left side of the steering rack to where the steering shaft goes into it. I understand the alternator rubs on it when the motor mounts sag but that's not the issue this time. It just started puking fluid everywhere when I turned right. It was very tight so loosening the nut off and re tightening it just pissed it off more. I had to drive roughly 30 miles to get home after I realized the problem and just ran out of fluid as I pulled in the driveway. I grabbed one out of a salvage yard and replaced it. The salvage yard line looked like absolute dog shit and was bent badly but it didn't leak at all. My old one looks straight and has a pretty clean seal on the flare end of the line. I really don't like how the part is discontinued and the dealership and it's a flare end unlike any I have ever seen before and it will just up and start leaking whenever it feels like. As always, any help or insight on this matter would be greatly appreciated
    20121005_184004.jpg
    Last edited by Z28dryva; 10-05-2012 at 06:19 PM.

Smiles for 9.5 Years cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Quote Originally Posted by Z28dryva View Post
    I'm talking about that damn irritating metal line on the steering rack that runs from the (more) left side of the steering rack to where the steering shaft goes into it. I understand the alternator rubs on it when the motor mounts sag but that's not the issue this time. It just started puking fluid everywhere when I turned right. It was very tight so loosening the nut off and re tightening it just pissed it off more. I had to drive roughly 30 miles to get home after I realized the problem and just ran out of fluid as I pulled in the driveway. I grabbed one out of a salvage yard and replaced it. The salvage yard line looked like absolute dog shit and was bent badly but it didn't leak at all. My old one looks straight and has a pretty clean seal on the flare end of the line. I really don't like how the part is discontinued and the dealership and it's a flare end unlike any I have ever seen before and it will just up and start leaking whenever it feels like. As always, any help or insight on this matter would be greatly appreciated
    20121005_184004.jpg
    The part I highlighted sounds like a flaring issue. If a flare is faulty, the line will either leak or will shift with vibration. I can't tell if that's a conventional flare or a bubble flare in the pic, but I've been told a bubble flare is the best.

Black, Red
    01 Z28, 05 Z71

It's flared back probably 1/4" from the end of the line and it's completely flat and seems to consist of several layers so it's definitely a double or triple flare of some sort. Like I said, I have never seen one like it before. The other end is a conventional single flare that goes into the rack body itself but this end is very peculiar. It does have the original rack as far as I can tell which means it has 206k miles on it so I guess it could definitely be a vibration issue, it just worries me that the thing can just start leaking with no warning leaving you stranded or forced to limp it home and pray you don't burn up the pump. I changed the sorry sucker and had to pull the alternator off to get on the damn nut enough to actually loosen it all the way and unplug it from the fitting. It's ridiculous

Black, Red
    01 Z28, 05 Z71

Lets see if this helps anything. This is the line after I cleaned it up and I'm still baffled as to why it was puking fluid everywhere
    20121008_171325.jpg

Smiles for 9.5 Years cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Looking at that pic, the flare looks uneven. Like it's flared more on the top than on the bottom.

Black, Red
    01 Z28, 05 Z71

I guess with that big black thing on the back of the alternator sitting on it, it bent it and unflared it over time. I cut that thing back a few inches while I had the alternator off so hopefully that does the trick. I had one do this on my old Camaro but the black thing actually rubbed a hole in the line. Lets just say the salvage yard that I got my new line from had 50 steering racks laying in a pile and 40 of them had this line missing so I'm clearly not the only person with this issue. Sucks monkey balls that this is something the dealer has decided to discontinue

Thread Information