Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Why Cant I get into the 12sec with my car

This is a discussion on Why Cant I get into the 12sec with my car within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Yanks may be good but their customer service sucks.. I have a TCI that I have had refeshed and then ...

Arctic White
    2000 Z28

Yanks may be good but their customer service sucks.. I have a TCI that I have had refeshed and then converted to a 4000. TCI has some of the better customer service I have seen in a long time. When they made it a 4000 the flange was not correct. They had it shipped back to them and fixed all on their dime.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Luos View Post
    Yank 3600

Bandimere is at 5800 feet.
    The air sucks.

Never run the car in under an 8K DA. I have driven it when it is like 6K....winter time. Let me tell you....could only imagine having a cool November day out at Atco (in Jersey) with this car.
    Think that cat with the Z06's got a -800DA out there once....Ranger I think??
    Did the correction on mine to -800....let's just say with a little more gear and some weight out....could be looking at 9's set-up proper. Maybe if I get that TBSS I could go all out with the T/A...
    /thinking outloud
    Ya that's the problem living at those nose bleed elevations, when the weather is finally cool enough for some negative DA's the tracks are closed

You are right about the tracks in Jersey, Florida etc...in the fall and spring it's common for negative DA numbers at a track that is barely 150 feet above sea level to begin with. That's where all these magazine tests go so they can print more impressive numbers.

In Ohio at about 700 feet elevation, we never saw DA numbers better than +3,000 feet, most of the time it was 4,000 or more. Damn Ohio humidity and high dew points in the summer. Of course winter, tracks are closed.

Here in Arizona tracks are open year round, and with track elevation at ~1200 feet, I've had DA numbers as nice as 1800 feet so far in the cooler months, something I never had in Ohio.
    But I live 5,000 feet up here on the mountain, (no dragstrip here,,,,yet ) But the difference in power is very noticable on the street, especially if you don't lean the car out.

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    But the difference in power is very noticable on the street, especially if you don't lean the car out.
    I can only imagine.
    Mine feels a bunch stronger just with a 2K drop....couldn't imagine all the way down to 0

Arctic White
    2000 Z28

Track here is at a elevation of 672". DA's during the summer tend not to get above the 3500 range. I ran on a winter DA day of -1300. Heat and humidtiy rob the air...

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by Z28Thunder View Post
    Yanks may be good but their customer service sucks.. I have a TCI that I have had refeshed and then converted to a 4000. TCI has some of the better customer service I have seen in a long time. When they made it a 4000 the flange was not correct. They had it shipped back to them and fixed all on their dime.
    yank has been pretty good to me so far...ive been talking to them deciding between the ss3600 or the ss4000 and they have been very helpful and patient with me .....however i have been looking into the circle D converters and i am extremely impressed

Arctic White
    2000 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by shady milkman View Post
    yank has been pretty good to me so far...ive been talking to them deciding between the ss3600 or the ss4000 and they have been very helpful and patient with me .....however i have been looking into the circle D converters and i am extremely impressed
    I'm talking about service after the sale. I have dealt with both and will never deal with Yank again.

I like what I've seen from Precision Industries (vigilante converters), and I hear alot of praise from Circle D and Edge as well as Yank.

From my own experience I like Coan more than any other, use them in the classic stuff. I gave Fuddle a shot in my 4th gen, been about 3 years now and no complaints here. Their customer service was also horrible, and I believe they aren't even around anymore.

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

Track here is at a elevation of 672". DA's during the summer tend not to get above the 3500 range. I ran on a winter DA day of -1300. Heat and humidtiy rob the air...
    Hmmm....
    10 hour drive....'ish'
    Maybe next year around this time.

I can only imagine.
    Mine feels a bunch stronger just with a 2K drop....couldn't imagine all the way down to 0
    We have to get you down off that mountain sometime

I can drive about 40-50 miles and go from 5,000 feet down to 1,000 feet straight down the mountain, wow what a difference.
    On the same token I can go several other directions and climb higher in elevation,,,ugh. Just about have to tune on the fly

Arctic White
    2000 Z28

I like what I've seen from Precision Industries (vigilante converters), and I hear alot of praise from Circle D and Edge as well as Yank.

From my own experience I like Coan more than any other, use them in the classic stuff. I gave Fuddle a shot in my 4th gen, been about 3 years now and no complaints here. Their customer service was also horrible, and I believe they aren't even around anymore.

Yeah Fuddle is not around anymore. Vig,Circle D,Edge are all good. If you want the best Neal Chance IMO.... But they do not come cheap.

Arctic White
    2000 Z28

Hmmm....
    10 hour drive....'ish'
    Maybe next year around this time.
    We race into December here. November and December are T&T only weekends. Without any mods I think you would be low 10's maybe a 9...

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

We have to get you down off that mountain sometime

I can drive about 40-50 miles and go from 5,000 feet down to 1,000 feet straight down the mountain, wow what a difference.
    On the same token I can go several other directions and climb higher in elevation,,,ugh. Just about have to tune on the fly
    No shit.

Heading into the hills I can feel a large difference. Feels like the Grand Am GT at 14K feet up.

We race into December here. November and December are T&T only weekends. Without any mods I think you would be low 10's maybe a 9...
    Would need a driver mod.

Yeah Fuddle is not around anymore. Vig,Circle D,Edge are all good. If you want the best Neal Chance IMO.... But they do not come cheap.
    Yeah Neal Chance ranks right up there with Coan on price and quality. Ya get what ya pay for. The Coan converter in my chevelle (400 turbo non lockup) was right at $1,000 and that was cheap for a Coan. I wouldn't have it any other way. Drives nice and tight at part throttle around town but will flash near 4,000 at full boogy, yet doesn't slip much on the big end so it doesn't hurt mph, the qualities of a well built converter.
    Last edited by Firebirdjones; 10-21-2010 at 01:21 PM.

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

I'm talking about service after the sale. I have dealt with both and will never deal with Yank again.
    shoot me a pm and tell me more please.

No shit.

Heading into the hills I can feel a large difference. Feels like the Grand Am GT at 14K feet up.

I hear ya, moving here was a huge adjustment for me as far as the elevation goes. I had to retune every friggin car But the worse part is the race track being down in Phoenix, and dropping 4,000 feet in elevation to get there, which requires a different tuneup similar to what I had in Ohio. I can't win.

Red
    1998 Camaro Z28 Conv. M6

I hear ya, moving here was a huge adjustment for me as far as the elevation goes. I had to retune every friggin car But the worse part is the race track being down in Phoenix, and dropping 4,000 feet in elevation to get there, which requires a different tuneup similar to what I had in Ohio. I can't win.
    Curious, what kind of times do our cars run here in AZ???? You would think with the cooler temps they would run pretty good times. I'm thinking about coming up to the phoenix race track to see if I can get into the 12's. I'm assuming with my set up (224Rcam, LS6 intake, LT's & Corsa catback etc...M6) that wouldn't be hard to do. Maybe even 12.5????

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

I have done 12.7 a couple times with strictly bolt-ons. Post a 60', I can't imagine they are that great with 3.73's and street tires.

Quote Originally Posted by jb3golf View Post
    Curious, what kind of times do our cars run here in AZ???? You would think with the cooler temps they would run pretty good times. I'm thinking about coming up to the phoenix race track to see if I can get into the 12's. I'm assuming with my set up (224Rcam, LS6 intake, LT's & Corsa catback etc...M6) that wouldn't be hard to do. Maybe even 12.5????
    If you go to Firebird they are about 1,000-1,100 feet elevation, Speedworld is roughly 1200 feet,,,,not terrible. During the cooler months when I run, factoring in the weather, typical winter temps around 70 degrees, cooling to maybe 50's to 60's in the evening, I've seen DA's around 1,500 feet to about 2,000 feet. I'm sure there have been better DA's here, but I have yet to experience them.

Not bad racing conditions really, and much better than what I'm used to in Ohio. I think you'll find the cars run pretty decent here if you wait until the cooler months since the track elevation is pretty comparable to alot of track around the country aside from the coastline or mountainous terrain.

2002 Z28 A4 NBM
    Sadly now demodded :(

My best time at Firebird is in my sig...
    67 Camaro: K-K + 797-z (look it up), 454/Th400/4.10 12-bolt = 6mpg, PS/PDB/PW tilt, tach, gauges...

2005 Corvette LS2/M6 Magnetic Red Metallic (What else would it be?) w/ Cashmere interior

2002 Z28: NBM/Tan, MTI smooth lid, smooth bellows, !AIR, !cats, 1-3/4" QTP SS LT's, 2-1/2" TD's with X-pipe, MagnaFlows dumped at axle, custom welded SFC's, MidWest Chassis body mount adjustable T/A, 3400 stall, 3.23 gears (was 2.73). Tuned: 343rwhp/357rwt (before TD's). Best: 12.559 @ 108+, 1.73 60' @ 3500' DA w/MT ET Street DR's.

Carbon footprint? CLOWN SHOE!

White
    1998 Trans Am

I just picked up a Circle D 3200 street performance converter for $400. They have one for $725 if you see a lot of track time I may go 4 or 5 times a year so a heavier duty converter wasn't needed for a bolt on car that's getting just a cam. They also make a multi disc for like $900 or so most of my friends with cammed and nos cars run. Give them a call and tell them what you plan on using the car for and they can tell you what the best converter would be they also do restalls if you add more.mods later. My friend OS having his restalled from 3600 to 4200 for the new motor.
    1998 Trans Am 85k miles.
    Bolt ons, MS3 113LSA cam, Circle D Stall, Tune, Modified WS6 style hood, Full Suspension, 6000k HID's, Clear Side Markers w/ Leds, Led 3rd Brake Light and 18" AR Staggered Killer Wheels w/ BFG KDW NT's.- Weekend Toy/DD
    02 Trailblazer -Sold
    09 Ram 1500 CC - Sold
    09 Cobalt SS/TC - Sold
    13 ram 1500 LoneStar CC 4x4 - Magnaflow, K&N,and more to come-DD/Toy

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information