Who has experimented with shift points?

Probably been gone over. Anyway I am looking for real track testing, moving shift points up and down to find the best spot for a stock cam and head LS1.
    I was looking at mine, and the computer is set to shift right at 6,000 which it does right on the button, and the car seems to pull strong and run fine there. I have had people tell me to bump the limiter up and put shift points in the 62-6,300 rpm range but that seems high for such a small cam (02 SS camaro)
    Going to the track Saturday to baseline this stocker before I go nuts on it. Thought I might play with a few simple things while I am there like shift points and torque management just to see if it's worth anything. Any thoughts? Larry.

SOM
    '01 Camaro SS

Well, if you look at a dyno graph along with a gear calculator, you could figure it out. Ideally, you want the highest average horsepower. That'll get you down the track the fastest.

As for torque management....that's a touchy subject sometimes. Personally, I never recommend taking more than 50% out. It's there to protect the transmission and it's internals. Turn off torque mgt. and you'll decrease the life of your trans. It might not die this year or next. But, it's just like powershifting an M6. So, one day, one good shift...and it'll let go.

Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

Well first Larry turn that Tq management OFF!!! You don't need it and the power your making right now isn't enough to break anything. I have played with the points a bunch. On your stock deal depending on what your using to modify the parameters you'll see an et gain or at least what worked best for me at the track. Lower your first shift 100 rpm cause it keeps you deeper in the tq curve. Second raise 50 and third raise 50 and fourth we raised 100.

You know Larry by know I'm a bottle person on pretty much everything. So I'm usually lower the shift points cause on the kit it tends to go to high.

But I have multiple cars on 150 ..........or more with the Tq management turned off on drag radials and no one has broke yet. I think the longest one has been playing for well over 2 years now.
    Don't be afraid of the bottle!!! Be afraid of your tune!!!

Thanks for the response. I'm not worried about the trans,,,I currently have all the torque management off,,,couldn't stand the car nosing over after every shift. If something happens to it I'll just make it better.
    I will experiment with the shift points this weekend and see if it's worth anything. Just want to find a happy spot for it and have some fun too. Still trying to figure this whole computer tuning thing out and the track is good practice for me. Larry.

Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

Try lowering the 1-2 shift 300 rpm and work your way up in 50rpm at a time till you get the best intial et. I've had a car that liked 5800 better than the others for some reason.
    Have fun let me knoe your et's

I'll give it a try. Going this weekend if the weather is okay. I'll post back some times and see how this thing does. thanks Larry.

Hi i don't know if you have trouble with tire spin in 1st gear or not --probably not--but if you do---Raising the part throttle shift points at the lower TPS settings at the 1-2 shift to maximun-will keep the trans from shifting if you have to lift a bit to get rid of tire spin--On my hds/cam C5 I had to enter 75 MPH up to 25% TPS at the 1-2 shift so I can lift a bit without it shifting into 2nd---my WOT points are 6300-6200-6200

Red
    2002 Camaro Z28

Still goofing with mine

I'm using a Diablosport Predator, so the parameters are slightly different. I turned off all the TM, except upshift for obvious reasons. My part throttle shift points are -7% across the board. Does anyone else have "UPSHIFT MP vs TP" as a parameter? I'm just starting with shift points now.

Black
    1998 Trans am

I have a Hypertech PPIII and I was able to pick just over a tenth in the 1/4 moving the shift points and doing away with the torque management. My car is a stock 98 TA A4 2.73. I have a lid and a 3200 Vigilante converter and the free mods is all. I moved the 1-2 shift to 6200 and the 2-3 shift to 6000 and it would shift into 3rd just before the end of the 1/4. I ran a best that day of 13.23 @ 102.50, then I set everything back to stock tune and about 20 minutes later ran 13.38 @ 101.56. I tried lower and higher shift points but this was the best I could get. Good luck and have fun.

Thread Information