Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Who drive with Mobil 1 0-40W oil

This is a discussion on Who drive with Mobil 1 0-40W oil within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Originally Posted by INMY01TA You do realize that 40 weight motor oil is thicker than 30 weight motor oil? weight ...

Negro
    2000 Trans Am WS.6

Quote Originally Posted by INMY01TA View Post
    You do realize that 40 weight motor oil is thicker than 30 weight motor oil?
    weight is the first number there bud.... your trying to say viscosities...

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motor_oil

Based on the range of viscosity the oil falls in at that temperature, the oil is graded as an SAE number 0, 5, 10, 20, 30, 40, 50, or 60. The higher the viscosity, the higher the SAE grade number is. These numbers are often referred to as the weight of a motor oil

If you've never heard the term "30 weight motor oil" you're an idiot...!

White
    2001 Z28

I hate to admit this, but your English is better than most of my students.

pewter
    2000 camaro ss

You do realize that 40 weight motor oil is thicker than 30 weight motor oil?
    please show me where i posted ANYTHING saying 30 is thicker than 40?

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by slp1122 View Post
    please show me where i posted ANYTHING saying 30 is thicker than 40?
    that oil is too thin for these engines
    you answered your own question. i have crazy leaks when i go too thin.
    Unless you normally run 50 weight oils in your your engine than what are you implying here? FYI an LS1 is supposed to run a 30 weight, saying a 40 weight is too thin doesn't make sense.

2001 3.8 Black - sold
    2000 SS Black M6

so lighter weight oil burns up more?

i use 5w40 in the winter, and i just noticed on my last change that i lost a little over a quart

BLACK
    2002, CAMARO Z28

Ligher oil will get sucked up thru the pcv faster in my experience. I have used mobil 1 only 2 times in 80k miles and never plan to use it again. Oil usage and excess valvetrain noise. German castrol or pennzoil platinum = nice and quiet and no oil usage.

pewter
    2000 camaro ss

Unless you normally run 50 weight oils in your your engine than what are you implying here? FYI an LS1 is supposed to run a 30 weight, saying a 40 weight is too thin doesn't make sense.
    the OP mentioned he uses a 0w40. the 0 is the viscosity at cold temps i.e. when the car just sits. he mentioned in his link that his car always has a puddle of oil under it after it sits. mine did the same thing when i was using 5w30, now i use 10w40 (hint hint its thicker). this is why i gave my opinion, the 0w40 is too thin. if you still cannot understand what im trying to say here, then i give up on you.

Quote Originally Posted by Spikito View Post
    so lighter weight oil burns up more?

i use 5w40 in the winter, and i just noticed on my last change that i lost a little over a quart
    i use 10w40 and it does the trick for me. my rear main seal is a little worn, so when my car sits is really doesn't leak much anymore

Post Motor Oil Switch

Quote Originally Posted by slp1122 View Post
    the OP mentioned he uses a 0w40. the 0 is the viscosity at cold temps i.e. when the car just sits. he mentioned in his link that his car always has a puddle of oil under it after it sits. mine did the same thing when i was using 5w30, now i use 10w40 (hint hint its thicker). this is why i gave my opinion, the 0w40 is too thin. if you still cannot understand what im trying to say here, then i give up on you.

i use 10w40 and it does the trick for me. my rear main seal is a little worn, so when my car sits is really doesn't leak much anymore
    By SAE specification, motor oils are always thicker when cold. The assertion that an 0W motor oil is too thin when cold thereby being the root cause of an oil leak does not hold water and is incorrect. Motor oil viscosities is a topic thatís been beat to death in this forum.

It looks like this is a case of by changing to another oil product with a differently formulated additive package is the culprit.

A different oil with a different detergent package can eat away at oil deposits left by an another oil. The deposits can be caused by a few ways some which could be from poor maintenance or by motor oils that are more susceptible to thermal break down. These old oil deposits inside an engine can act as gasket material and fortify old gaskets. Then when a more robust motor oil with a better or differing detergent additive is introduced into the engine and eats away the oil deposits, then all thatís left is old gaskets that may be more prone to oil leaks anyway. And then you find a leak.

This is a cause for the old myth that synthetic motor oils cause leaks. It comes from people using one brand/viscosity/type of motor oil for a lengthy amount of time and then deciding to try something new. Then they find a leak and blame the problem on the motor oil switch. But really the oil was not the root cause; rather it was old gaskets that were about ready to go anyway. This could even be experienced by a conventional-to-conventional motor oil switch just the same as a conventional-to-synthetic motor oil switch. It all comes down to differing oil additives interacting in an engine previously ran with another motor oil product.

CompSyn

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by CompSyn View Post
    By SAE specification, motor oils are always thicker when cold. The assertion that an 0W motor oil is too thin when cold thereby being the root cause of an oil leak does not hold water and is incorrect. Motor oil viscosities is a topic that’s been beat to death in this forum.

It looks like this is a case of by changing to another oil product with a differently formulated additive package is the culprit.
    Thank you.
    Quote Originally Posted by slp1122
    Done with you now.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

LOL....folks get so confused...then the internet spreads misinformation like crazy....look this is simple....allow me to put it in mullet speak
    Yes 0 weight oil is thinner than 10 weight oil. But here is where you get screwed up guys....it is a 0 weight or a 10 weight at like -50 below zero!
    At 0f or even 30f both oils are literally the same "weight" or viscosity.... at engine op temp they all are 40 weights. But I think people think 0 weight oil at room temp is thinner than 10 weight at room temp and that is not the case as it pertains to sprouting leaks etc. Just bad science here fella's.....
    If this guys car is leaking oil there is a gasket or seal that needs replace. OK? Has nothing to do with 0-40 or 10-40. Absolutely nothing. He can AUTO RX and try and see if that helps.....if not he needs to replace the gasket/seal whatever is leaking.

Blue
    2000 TA

From my understanding 0 weight oils are group 4 oils-PAO synthetics. 0W40 is one of the best Mobil 1 oils available. PP is a very good oil at a lower price point.

If you're car is leaking oil a "high mileage" oil with swelling agents might reduce the leakage.

Pewter
    2k WS6 4A, 2013 Sonata

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge View Post
    LOL....folks get so confused...then the internet spreads misinformation like crazy....look this is simple....allow me to put it in mullet speak
    Yes 0 weight oil is thinner than 10 weight oil. But here is where you get screwed up guys....it is a 0 weight or a 10 weight at like -50 below zero!
    At 0f or even 30f both oils are literally the same "weight" or viscosity.... at engine op temp they all are 40 weights. But I think people think 0 weight oil at room temp is thinner than 10 weight at room temp and that is not the case as it pertains to sprouting leaks etc. Just bad science here fella's.....
    If this guys car is leaking oil there is a gasket or seal that needs replace. OK? Has nothing to do with 0-40 or 10-40. Absolutely nothing. He can AUTO RX and try and see if that helps.....if not he needs to replace the gasket/seal whatever is leaking.

yup i was at 5-30 m1 with m1 filter twice in a row soon after oil change my pressure would drop from 40 to 20 and stay there peaking at 45 at wot ..so i figured 94k miles auto trans am probably driven like a rental so ill try and reinvent the wheel ..so to speak. was going to try and use rotella 5w-40 but i didnt like the idea of turbo diesel labled oil in my car lol but i dont think it would have hurt anything so i went with the beloved 0-40 m1 euro and the ls1 loves it my oil pressure drops as low as 32 psi and raises as much as 65ish at wot and it sounds better. so from now on this stock ls1 trans am is runnin on the much debated 0-40m1 for life untill my 454r, t56 swap, 12 bolt rebuild. then 10-30 amsoil or redline.
    Last edited by Questioner; 07-30-2014 at 02:44 PM. Reason: typo

Arctic White
    2000 Z28

Wow this thread is what 5 years old?

Pewter
    2k WS6 4A, 2013 Sonata

Quote Originally Posted by Z28Thunder View Post
    Wow this thread is what 5 years old?
    you're the moderator not me.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information