Results 1 to 20 of 20

White residue inside exhaust tips???????????????????

This is a discussion on White residue inside exhaust tips??????????????????? within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; I've noticed it a few times not all the time. It's intermittent just like the stumbling I've been having at ...

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    1,083

    SOM
    2002 SS

    White residue inside exhaust tips???????????????????

    I've noticed it a few times not all the time. It's intermittent just like the stumbling I've been having at cruising speeds in 6th. I'm starting to wonder if they are related some how. I'll get some pics when I can.

    The stumbling stopped after I changed my fuel filter but I feel it stumbling or hesitating in the gas pedal and the sotp meter still. The code was low voltage driver bank (lean).

    02 sensor seems to be working correctly (not slow and varying just like pass bank).

    No race gas car is stock with kooks lts and kooks catted y. Crane 1.82 roller rockers.

    Yesterday i felt ever so slight hesitation and sure enough the service engine light flashed and stayed on. Today it went out.

    Thoughts?


    Last edited by 5abivt; 05-30-2011 at 07:41 AM.

  2. #2
    Super Moderator
    pajeff02's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Mansfield, PA
    Posts
    21,576

    Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

    Have you checked your fuel pressure?

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    1,083

    SOM
    2002 SS

    I haven't. The code only pops under cruising conditions, wouldn't it be using very little fuel? Even then the code only pops on drivers side

  4. #4
    Super Moderator
    pajeff02's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Mansfield, PA
    Posts
    21,576

    Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

    Has the MAF been cleaned lately?

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    1,083

    SOM
    2002 SS

    Check ya I cleaned the maf and o2 while I was at it.

  6. #6
    ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Posts
    9,965

    White
    2008 Hummer H3

    Quote Originally Posted by 5abivt View Post
    Check ya I cleaned the maf and o2 while I was at it.
    Not sure you should clean the 02's...

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    1,083

    SOM
    2002 SS

    I used an o2 safe cleaner and just wiped the outside I didn't spray inside it. I pulled it out just to see if it was fouled.

    All the drivers bank plugs are fouled rich but I'm assuming it's from the ECM adding fuel to compensate the lean code.

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    1,083

    SOM
    2002 SS

    Anyone have an idea what the white residue could be? I'm not burning coolant that I know of. Temps are in check. Everything I google says race gas does it but I only use 91/94 available everywhere here.

    Here my 02 fluctuations..

    http://m.youtube.com/index?desktop_u...?v=gT6tH8bp07o

  9. #9
    Smiles for 9.5 Years cammed goat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Paterson/Ridgewood, NJ
    Posts
    11,474

    Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

    Did you pull the upstream or downstream O2 sensor. I only ask as my car had a PO136 for bank 1, sensor 2. I replaced the driver's rear O2 and the light went out. Cleared the code and all is well. Keep us posted.

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    1,083

    SOM
    2002 SS

    It's pre cat bank 1 sensor 1 so upstream of cat. I didn't really want to shell out $180 for an 02 if it's not the problem if you know what I mean. Trying to rule out exhaust leak first before I buy an 02.

    Few weeks ago well after the issue started I did go to install air delete plates on the headers and found the gaskets destroyed. I ordered new ones still hbe to get little gaskets in there but the code is still the same drivers side only.

    I have noticed a slight trend. Yesterday on the way home I was babying it. Getting on the freeway easy and hitting cruise at 75mph she was smooth as silk for the 8 miles or so. Not even a slight hesitation. Somedays when I hit the on ramps hard before I get on the freeway or I'm just blowing the doors off fellow co-workers I notice it seems to happen. Once I hit cruise after spirited driving the hesitation is usually there.

    This isn't a great pic as it's been raining and the exhaust has been getting wet but you can see the white dots.. Sometimes it's like that x10 on both tips. Ill get a better pic soon.

  11. #11
    O U 8 1 2 Spaz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 1999
    Location
    over here...
    Age
    39
    Posts
    25,693

    []D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

    Quote Originally Posted by 5abivt View Post
    It's pre cat bank 1 sensor 1 so upstream of cat. I didn't really want to shell out $180 for an 02 if it's not the problem if you know what I mean. Trying to rule out exhaust leak first before I buy an 02.

    Few weeks ago well after the issue started I did go to install air delete plates on the headers and found the gaskets destroyed. I ordered new ones still hbe to get little gaskets in there but the code is still the same drivers side only.

    I have noticed a slight trend. Yesterday on the way home I was babying it. Getting on the freeway easy and hitting cruise at 75mph she was smooth as silk for the 8 miles or so. Not even a slight hesitation. Somedays when I hit the on ramps hard before I get on the freeway or I'm just blowing the doors off fellow co-workers I notice it seems to happen. Once I hit cruise after spirited driving the hesitation is usually there.

    This isn't a great pic as it's been raining and the exhaust has been getting wet but you can see the white dots.. Sometimes it's like that x10 on both tips. Ill get a better pic soon.
    Click for full size

    do you have cats??? looks like little pieces of the ceramics inside the cats is breaking off and getting chucked out...

  12. #12
    None Shall Pass Knight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    East of Cleveland, Ohio
    Posts
    3,828

    Black
    99 WS.6 - Modified

    Quote Originally Posted by Spaz View Post
    do you have cats??? looks like little pieces of the ceramics inside the cats is breaking off and getting chucked out...
    My thought too.

  13. #13
    Smiles for 9.5 Years cammed goat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Paterson/Ridgewood, NJ
    Posts
    11,474

    Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

    Yep. Exhaust pressure is prob building and popping the substrate out the tailpipes.

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    1,083

    SOM
    2002 SS

    Added more pics I just took to First post.

    I was almost going to rule out cats because wouldnt my rear o2s throw a code? Then I realized I have a feeling they were turned off via tune.

  15. #15
    Smiles for 9.5 Years cammed goat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Paterson/Ridgewood, NJ
    Posts
    11,474

    Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

    Most tuners will turn off the secondary O2s. So, you might have a cat inefficiency code and not know it.

  16. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    1,083

    SOM
    2002 SS

    Yeah I think you are right. With a borderline pass last year, and now my tips looking like this i can't believe that there isnt something wrong. I think they are turned off. WHile you guys are here.. any suggestions on a cheap cat to replace these with? magnaflow 3" bullet ceramics or maybe I should go mettalic?

  17. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    1,083

    SOM
    2002 SS

    ALso I should add it was raining real hard last night. I think the little balls may have something to do with water being in or on the tip as well ? WOndering if that might help figure out whats causing it.

  18. #18
    Smiles for 9.5 Years cammed goat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Paterson/Ridgewood, NJ
    Posts
    11,474

    Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

    I am partial to Magnaflow. Look for Magnaflow bullets for your car.

    Take your pick:

    http://www.lmperformance.com/t/80-7/1.html
    Last edited by cammed goat; 05-30-2011 at 09:03 AM.

  19. #19
    Senior Member JayTA98's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    Posts
    3,351

    Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

    Quote Originally Posted by 5abivt View Post
    Yeah I think you are right. With a borderline pass last year, and now my tips looking like this i can't believe that there isnt something wrong. I think they are turned off. WHile you guys are here.. any suggestions on a cheap cat to replace these with? magnaflow 3" bullet ceramics or maybe I should go mettalic?
    it looks to me like ceramic particles like mentioned before. I don't think the rain has to do anything with it besides that if the area is wet the particles will stick more easily.

    Wipe the tips off and start the car run it for a few miles and recheck. If it is coming from the exhaust you will see them more from the inside.
    You can also get a black towel and put it against the tip. have someone rev it up and hold the towel against the tip hold it for a min or until you cant anymore and see if the particules are on the towel as well.

  20. #20
    Stang Killer TransAmFanatic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Harvey, La
    Age
    33
    Posts
    294

    Pewter
    1999 Trans Am

    hesitation is prob a intake vacuum hose busted, check by the throttle body, and behind the intake manifold. and as far as the white residue, i have no clue.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Question: What is this Black Residue From Exhaust
    By j nix in forum External Engine
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 06-11-2011, 05:56 PM
  2. black residue in exhaust
    By jamesg1750 in forum General Help
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 05-28-2009, 06:08 PM
  3. White exhaust tips bad??
    By JDMC5 in forum Nitrous
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-08-2008, 12:46 PM
  4. How to remove white chalky wax residue?
    By Tnhillbilly in forum Showcar and Detailing
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 06-25-2008, 04:05 AM
  5. White powder baked on exhaust tips
    By sneaky7980 in forum Internal Engine
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-17-2007, 04:47 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •