Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Where My D!!! Gas Went???

This is a discussion on Where My D!!! Gas Went??? within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; yes, like everyone is saying, keep the rpm's around 2 grand or so MAX while crusin around, I usually keep ...

SS: NBM, tan top
    1998-SS, 2010 Jetta TDI

yes, like everyone is saying, keep the rpm's around 2 grand or so MAX while crusin around, I usually keep them around 1700 rpm's i'd say, although its been like 7 months since ive driven it

LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

plugs and wires what-not are all great, but will hardly effect gas mileage.

If the mileage is really bad, the front O2 sensors may be past their good life. They don't throw codes they just begin to wander off. As they wander off from clogging their elements, they report leaner and ask for more fuel. If you car is warm and you are not at WOT, they are controlling the fuel mixture. They are ALWAYS the first suspect when mileage is low. If they are OEM, they are DEFINITELY past due for replacement. For best mileage in a STOCK car, change every 25-30K. If you have headers or further mods, that number drop to 15K miles.

PEWETER METALIC
    2002 CAMARO Z-28 M-6

Quote Originally Posted by ls1camino View Post
    Maybe the gauge is reading wrong...it's an approximate, so you may be closer to half a tank
    fbody gauges and accuracy don't go hand and hand. when my light comes on I still have 4 gallons of gas in my 15 gallon tank!

Red
    1998 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by Justin93 View Post
    fbody gauges and accuracy don't go hand and hand. when my light comes on I still have 4 gallons of gas in my 15 gallon tank!
    98 gauges are real gauges and are very accurate, they started putting in the digital inaccurate gauges in 99.
    1998 Camaro SS Hard Coupe Bright Red #1593
    Mods: Lots!!, still my daily driver except for winter
    383rwhp 370rwft/lbs

1979 Corvette
    Mods Lots!!, weekend cruiser
    325rwhp and 320rwft/lbs

2007 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 (Yes its got a HEMI)
    Mods: Catback, BFI CAI, Winter daily driver

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/a little mods...

Quote Originally Posted by vetteemt View Post
    98 gauges are real gauges and are very accurate, they started putting in the digital inaccurate gauges in 99.
    Next question I have now is: Does the 98' have the low fuel light? When I had my 96' FB it did not have one, found this out the hard way....standing on the side of the rad waiting for a gas can to appear from out of my ass...Wife was pissed that day

Onyx Black, M6
    2001 SS Convertible #4498

these cars can almost idle through the gears man....I can count on one hand how many times in the last week I've had to go over 2000 rpms under "normal" driving conditions....and none of those include merging onto the expressway, lol.

torque monsters FTW

My light says "check gages" when the fuel is low. Just refill at 1/4 tank to be safe and keep the fuel pump in good condition.

Onyx Black, M6
    2002 Berger Camaro SS #86

ya it sounds like you arent that far off of normal... i get like 225 a tank. thats staying off of it about 90% of the time... the other 10% is not hippie friendly. do a 1-4-6 or 1-4-5, whatever ur comfortable with, and keep the revs lower.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/a little mods...

Quote Originally Posted by hoosierSS02 View Post
    ya it sounds like you arent that far off of normal... i get like 225 a tank. thats staying off of it about 90% of the time... the other 10% is not hippie friendly. do a 1-4-6 or 1-4-5, whatever ur comfortable with, and keep the revs lower.
    IS that why the Skip shift light is for...not a fan of it...but if it will save some go go juice, I'll try it...

Can't wait till this rain blows over tonight.....want to take it out for a ride....

Onyx Black, M6
    2001 SS Convertible #4498

225? You must be modded, mine is gettingabout 320-330 regularly...and it's a combination of highway/city about 50/50 really....but I baby it 99% of the time too...

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

I also get about 225 miles and fill up is usually 10-11 gallons or so. I'm mostly stock M6

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information