Black
    2002 Camaro

where to hook up halo lights

where do you hook the 2 halo light wires too?? I am guessing its to the parking lights somewhere.

Green
    1997 Camaro Z-28

3 ways to do it. if you want them to come on with the parking lights just use parking light power as a triger and run it to a relay. then run a power wire from the positive block to the relay to power the halo lights. Should really only use what ever circuit you want to turn them on as a triger, not power source. Another way is to use the fog lights as a triger, or use a switch you mount inside the car

black
    02 vette vert

Quote Originally Posted by JaycenK View Post
    3 ways to do it. if you want them to come on with the parking lights just use parking light power as a triger and run it to a relay. then run a power wire from the positive block to the relay to power the halo lights. Should really only use what ever circuit you want to turn them on as a triger, not power source. Another way is to use the fog lights as a triger, or use a switch you mount inside the car
    i didnt hook mine up, but do you think you really need a relay?

Green
    1997 Camaro Z-28

Well it's a good practice to never double tap a circuit. It may work but if you are over loading the wire then you will have problems down the road. I have no idea how much juice those halo's draw or what circuit you put them on but to do it right and not have to worry, yes you should use a relay. I can't see those things drawing a whole lot but plan on doing a relay down the road.

Black
    2002 Camaro

Well it's a good practice to never double tap a circuit. It may work but if you are over loading the wire then you will have problems down the road. I have no idea how much juice those halo's draw or what circuit you put them on but to do it right and not have to worry, yes you should use a relay. I can't see those things drawing a whole lot but plan on doing a relay down the road.
    yeah i have another issue. both the wires are red and black. think it matters what way I hook it up?

Green
    1997 Camaro Z-28

Quote Originally Posted by rabiddog View Post
    yeah i have another issue. both the wires are red and black. think it matters what way I hook it up?
    what wires?
    if your talking about the leads off the halo's it's fine. Does it say how many amps the halo's use? The amount of amps will determine the size wire to power them but what you would do is take the leads from the halo's and run your relay switched power to both positive leads and then take the grounds to a ground on the car or battery. If you want me to tell you how to wire a relay I can.

Standard 4 pin 30amp relay.
    you can get these at radio shack or auto parts store. You can even use the same relays that are in the fuse box under the hood.

Positive Triger from parking lights, fog lights or switch connects to 86 or 85. this should be a positive and a negitive. you can use the positive power from the actual parking light, fog light or switch and connect it to 85 or 86 and then a ground conected to the cars ground system (battery or chassis ground) to the other 85 or 86 what ever one you did not use the positive on.

your source wire for positive power to the Halo should be run from the battery or positive terminal block to pin 30 on the relay and then feed the halo's with another wire connected to pin 87.This wire will go to the possitive wire's at the Halo's.
    On a 5 pin relay like what you find in the fuse box under the hood there are two 87's one is 87 and the other is 87A. on a 5pin use pin 87 as well NOT 87A if you use 87A they will turn on when they are supposed to be off and vise versa.
    So you will take your one power feed wire from pin 87 down to both positive (red wires) feeds. Then connect the to ground wires (black) to a ground on the car or the ground on the battery.

About the only thing else you will need is a multimeter to verify which wire is the positive on down at the parking light or the fog light. If you want to use a seperate switch, you would need to check that the circuit you tap into is a keyed circuit meaning that it turns off when the key is turned off or turns off after the door is opened on the delay circuit. If you tap into a no keyed circuit it will turn on weather the key is on or not. Hope that helps if not shout back at me.

NBM
    2002 Camaro

The halos are a LED strip, so they require very little power. When I wire them up, I tap into the wire for the corner lights. By doing this, they dont come on everytime the car is running and if I want to turn them on all I have to do is turn the light switch over to the first position.
    02 Camaro
    PRC Stg 2.5 5.3's, Futral F14, PP Typhoon intake, True duals, Performabuilt tranny, & 3500 convertor, HSW plate kit.
    *Old Time* 10.90@ 125mph

Black
    2002 Camaro

what wires?
    if your talking about the leads off the halo's it's fine. Does it say how many amps the halo's use? The amount of amps will determine the size wire to power them but what you would do is take the leads from the halo's and run your relay switched power to both positive leads and then take the grounds to a ground on the car or battery. If you want me to tell you how to wire a relay I can.

Standard 4 pin 30amp relay.
    you can get these at radio shack or auto parts store. You can even use the same relays that are in the fuse box under the hood.

Positive Triger from parking lights, fog lights or switch connects to 86 or 85. this should be a positive and a negitive. you can use the positive power from the actual parking light, fog light or switch and connect it to 85 or 86 and then a ground conected to the cars ground system (battery or chassis ground) to the other 85 or 86 what ever one you did not use the positive on.

your source wire for positive power to the Halo should be run from the battery or positive terminal block to pin 30 on the relay and then feed the halo's with another wire connected to pin 87.This wire will go to the possitive wire's at the Halo's.
    On a 5 pin relay like what you find in the fuse box under the hood there are two 87's one is 87 and the other is 87A. on a 5pin use pin 87 as well NOT 87A if you use 87A they will turn on when they are supposed to be off and vise versa.
    So you will take your one power feed wire from pin 87 down to both positive (red wires) feeds. Then connect the to ground wires (black) to a ground on the car or the ground on the battery.

About the only thing else you will need is a multimeter to verify which wire is the positive on down at the parking light or the fog light. If you want to use a seperate switch, you would need to check that the circuit you tap into is a keyed circuit meaning that it turns off when the key is turned off or turns off after the door is opened on the delay circuit. If you tap into a no keyed circuit it will turn on weather the key is on or not. Hope that helps if not shout back at me.
    Hmmmm..... I think I got ya but.... how about you just drive on over from florida and give me a hand! It should only take you about 20hours to get here if you cruise at 70. I am still wondering about the wires I will snap a couple pics when I get in and post them on here.

Green
    1997 Camaro Z-28

lol I need to work on that whole time travel thing so I can get places faster.

Black
    2002 Camaro

lol I need to work on that whole time travel thing so I can get places faster.
    ok here are a couple pics tell me what you think all this crap is for the halo's. Just bought the car but the halo's weren't hooked up

Green
    1997 Camaro Z-28

well that could be a positive and a ground or 2 positives. Take a lead and touch it to the positive terminal and see if one lights up. if so try the other and see if it lights up. if so those can be sliced into the positive feed.
    I would look around and see if those white wires go to a ground anywere. If so,
    If just touching a lead up to the battery does not work then try touching one to the positive and the other to the ground. if still no worky worky then try swapping wich lead is on the ground and the positive and see if they light up.

After reading up on halo's I have found out that like NoscamaroSS said you can just hook it up to the parking light lead because they draw almost nothing in voltage and amps so it shouldn't damage the wire or the circuit.

Red
    2002 Camaro Z28

Thumbs up

Just tap into the parking lights, I have dual halo's with an extra light in the middle for over a year now with no problem.
    2002 Camaro Z28 Bolt ons, Flowmaster catback w/3" QTP electric cutout, Superchips tuned, Granatelli MAF, SLP cold air induction Lid & filter, ZEX powertune plugs, Taylor 10.4mm wires, 160 T-stat w/fan control, Eibach sportlines & BFG-KDW's on 17" SLP SS rims.

Thread Information