Results 1 to 19 of 19

When to replace O2 sensors??

This is a discussion on When to replace O2 sensors?? within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Is there a certain age or mileage when the O2's should be replaced? My car seems to run great, although ...

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Newport, RI
    Posts
    1,550

    Navy Blue Metallic
    '00 Formy A4

    When to replace O2 sensors??

    Is there a certain age or mileage when the O2's should be replaced?

    My car seems to run great, although a bit rough at idle (and has done so since I got it at 65k 3 years ago), and I don't have any SES light.

    I DID get a SES light 2 years ago, it was the cat code, and I got them replaced at a dealer under warranty. No lights or problems since then.

    But I'm creeping up on 100k, and I was wondering if I should think about replacing them. My mileage isn't quite what I think it should be (averaging around 22 so far this summer), and I wonder if myabe degraded 02 performance is the cause.

    Should I think about changing them, or is it a "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" part.

    BTW I just hit 150k on my '97 Jeep, I've had it since 40k, and I'm still running original O2's on that too. Runs great.

  2. #2
    Super Moderator
    pajeff02's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Mansfield, PA
    Posts
    21,576

    Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

    Anything over 80,000 miles is the general replacement window. Their performance degrades over time.

  3. #3
    Member dav-02ws6-m6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    VA
    Posts
    294
    2002 trans am ws6

    Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    Anything over 80,000 miles is the general replacement window. Their performance degrades over time.
    agree my car only had 72000 miles when one of them went out.

  4. #4
    Smiles for 9.5 Years cammed goat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Paterson/Ridgewood, NJ
    Posts
    11,474

    Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

    This is good to know as I am just hit 80k this week.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Newport, RI
    Posts
    1,550

    Navy Blue Metallic
    '00 Formy A4

    Cool, thanks for the info.

    So should I be looking at Bosch or Denso?

  6. #6
    Super Moderator
    pajeff02's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Mansfield, PA
    Posts
    21,576

    Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

    The Bosch 13111's work nice. But, if you do not have LT's, plan on using zip ties to secure the extra harness length.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Newport, RI
    Posts
    1,550

    Navy Blue Metallic
    '00 Formy A4

    Our cars have four, correct? Before cat and after cat?

    Are the 13111's before cat?

    Thanks.

  8. #8
    Member qwk93ta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Fairfield, Ohio
    Age
    54
    Posts
    944

    Black
    00 WS6

    I had Bosch on my 93 T/A and they worked like crap, replaced them with AC Delco no more problems. I just changed mine on my 00 WS6 with 57k miles.

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Newport, RI
    Posts
    1,550

    Navy Blue Metallic
    '00 Formy A4

    Quote Originally Posted by qwk93ta View Post
    I had Bosch on my 93 T/A and they worked like crap, replaced them with AC Delco no more problems. I just changed mine on my 00 WS6 with 57k miles.
    Notice any difference in the way that it ran after you replaced them? And did you replace all 4, or just 2?

  10. #10
    Moderator Firebirdjones's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    12,552
    Most tuners will tell you to replace them every 40-50,000 miles. Over time they do tend to get lazy at trimming fuel. Sometimes not enough to set a slow switching code.
    They are wear items just like sparkplugs.

  11. #11
    Super Moderator
    pajeff02's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Mansfield, PA
    Posts
    21,576

    Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

    Quote Originally Posted by StuntmanMike View Post
    Our cars have four, correct? Before cat and after cat?

    Are the 13111's before cat?

    Thanks.

    The front sensors are what control fueling. The rear units simply tell the PCM if the catalytic converters are working properly. Personally, I would only replace the front ones. The rears I would run until they trigger a fault code and set the SES light.

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Newport, RI
    Posts
    1,550

    Navy Blue Metallic
    '00 Formy A4

    Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    The front sensors are what control fueling. The rear units simply tell the PCM if the catalytic converters are working properly. Personally, I would only replace the front ones. The rears I would run until they trigger a fault code and set the SES light.
    Ok, that sounds good. I was hoping to onlyhave to do one pair, and I was thinking the front ones.

    I found the 1311's on Ebay for $46...seems like a good price, I'll have to order them.

    Thanks for your help!

  13. #13
    Super Moderator
    pajeff02's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Mansfield, PA
    Posts
    21,576

    Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

    Quote Originally Posted by StuntmanMike View Post
    Ok, that sounds good. I was hoping to onlyhave to do one pair, and I was thinking the front ones.

    I found the 1311's on Ebay for $46...seems like a good price, I'll have to order them.

    Thanks for your help!

    I paid $73 each for them at Autozone. That is a good price you found.

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Newport, RI
    Posts
    1,550

    Navy Blue Metallic
    '00 Formy A4

    I went to Autozone today to find out just how long the 13111's were - WOW! 50" !!

    The 13444's (stock part number) are only 16" long.

    So what do I do with the extra 3 feet? Coil it up and hang it out of the way? I haven't had a chance to look under the car, but is that possible to do while keeping it safely away from the exhaust?

  15. #15
    Moderator 35th-ANV-SS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Wherever life takes me
    Posts
    12,465

    Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

    Yes, like Jeff stated, you just have to tuck it up and use something like zip ties to keep the access secure and out of the way of anything hot that could melt the wiring. And just so you know, the rear O2 sensors are interchangeable with the front two even though they monitor different things

  16. #16
    Moderator Firebirdjones's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    12,552
    Quote Originally Posted by StuntmanMike View Post
    I went to Autozone today to find out just how long the 13111's were - WOW! 50" !!

    The 13444's (stock part number) are only 16" long.

    So what do I do with the extra 3 feet? Coil it up and hang it out of the way? I haven't had a chance to look under the car, but is that possible to do while keeping it safely away from the exhaust?
    The 13111's are generally used for long tube headers so an extension harness isn't needed.
    If you are still running stock manifolds then the 13444's are what you want. No need for the 13111's unless you are switching to long tube headers.

  17. #17
    Member bobbyd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    austin
    Posts
    143
    if you can try to go with Denso's. i have read so many hit and miss with the bosch sensors.
    i myself replace miine with one of each and im going to be replacing the bosch with a denso. i think the bosch is a little slow at times.

  18. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Newport, RI
    Posts
    1,550

    Navy Blue Metallic
    '00 Formy A4

    I ended up going with the stock length Denso's. I found them at Rock Auto for 38 bucks each, then I found a 5% off coupon code online. Total with 3 day shipping was 80 bucks and change.

    I see the value of the 13111's in not having to run extensions, but I have no plans at this time to run long tubes. Maybe in the future, but before that I want to do a new converter, so headers are a few years out at the minimun. I just don't want to deal with all that extra harness length right now.

  19. #19
    Member bobbyd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    austin
    Posts
    143
    Quote Originally Posted by StuntmanMike View Post
    I ended up going with the stock length Denso's. I found them at Rock Auto for 38 bucks each, then I found a 5% off coupon code online. Total with 3 day shipping was 80 bucks and change.

    I see the value of the 13111's in not having to run extensions, but I have no plans at this time to run long tubes. Maybe in the future, but before that I want to do a new converter, so headers are a few years out at the minimun. I just don't want to deal with all that extra harness length right now.
    good choice man. if you do end up going with LT's in the future just get some o2 extensions. pacesetter makes some.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Question: 02 sensors. which ones to replace first?will it help?
    By DaytonaBlues in forum General Help
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 01-14-2013, 06:17 PM
  2. Question: Replace One or Both Knock Sensors?
    By lsgunner28 in forum General Help
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-27-2010, 08:17 AM
  3. replace lifters? 98 knock sensors?
    By jmatt07 in forum Internal Engine
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 12-24-2009, 06:42 AM
  4. Question: Replace PCV?
    By kool-aide in forum General Help
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-10-2008, 03:08 PM
  5. what all do i need to replace?
    By FastAssZ in forum Drivetrain
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 03-27-2006, 05:21 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •