Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

When to change to Synthetic Oil?

This is a discussion on When to change to Synthetic Oil? within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Originally Posted by Mr. Luos Very thick AND black after 2700??? Sounds like a good thing to me. You have ...

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Luos View Post
    Very thick AND black after 2700??? Sounds like a good thing to me.
    You have sold me on not using Mobil 1 ever again. Not that I was going to anyways.

And until you can back up your claims with actual data, I wouldn't be calling LS1.com's oil guru an idiot.
    Is THICK a good thing? I mean, if oil is coming out like cement, I cant say thats a good thing, but I maybe wrong here.

I changed my oil today with Valvoline's synthetic. I used a SureGrip Fram filter too. I change my oil often, so if I have a weak link, ill most likely change it in time anyway.

I think the last oil I used was Castrol synthetic. The oil came out black as usual. No hardened metal clippings on the drain plug either, just the "dust."

I think Stricken is suffering what everyone on here suffers from and thats consumer biasism. Because you paid more for it, it must be good. Better to defend the justification of paying more money, than to declare idiocy for spending more money than needed, right? Fuck that. Ill be the first person (and have been) to tell you if I wasted my money or not.

Ive used Mobil 1 before and I wont again because of the price. Its not a bad oil, its just a rip off.

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

By thick...I don't mean wet cement.

But similiar to when it went in when I drain it hot?? That works for me.

back 'n better than ever Kjz99z28's Avatar

White/Black
    1999 Z28

Welp. I've officially been paying too much for oil. PP here I come.

I do have a few questions along the lines of synthetic oil though.. hopefully I'm not hijacking the thread. I've always heard that once you switch to synthetic.. there's no going back. Is this true?

And.. is 5W-30 better for an LS1 or is 10W-30? I'm getting the impression it depends on which oil you run, but I have a feeling there's something I'm not catching on to here.

I am pretty sure that myth has been busted.

Its so funny that myth has been nationally known.

Red
    2001 Trans Am

Amsoil

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Quote Originally Posted by Kjz99z28 View Post
    Welp. I've officially been paying too much for oil. PP here I come.

I do have a few questions along the lines of synthetic oil though.. hopefully I'm not hijacking the thread. I've always heard that once you switch to synthetic.. there's no going back. Is this true?

And.. is 5W-30 better for an LS1 or is 10W-30? I'm getting the impression it depends on which oil you run, but I have a feeling there's something I'm not catching on to here.
    Your motor and gaskets/seals could care less if your running a synthetic or a conventional. So it makes no nevermind if you switch back and forth......that is a holdover from the old days when Synthetics had tons of detergents in them and cleaned seals etc. and started leaks.......The difference between a 5-XX and a 10XX is the flow rate at -40c.....and thats about it.....

back 'n better than ever Kjz99z28's Avatar

White/Black
    1999 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge View Post
    Your motor and gaskets/seals could care less if your running a synthetic or a conventional. So it makes no nevermind if you switch back and forth......that is a holdover from the old days when Synthetics had tons of detergents in them and cleaned seals etc. and started leaks.......The difference between a 5-XX and a 10XX is the flow rate at -40c.....and thats about it.....
    Okay. I was wondering about that. Thanks!
    So if I'll never hit -40c... I need...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information