Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 47

When to change to Synthetic Oil?

This is a discussion on When to change to Synthetic Oil? within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; I've been thinking about changing to synthetic oil. I was always told by friends to wait until 15,000 miles. I ...

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Somers, NY
    Posts
    31

    Black
    2002 Pontiac Firehawk

    Question When to change to Synthetic Oil?

    I've been thinking about changing to synthetic oil. I was always told by friends to wait until 15,000 miles. I have 13,000 miles, so the time to switch is near...right?

    Furthermore, which synthetic oil should I use?? Royal Purple, Mobil1, Castrol, ????

  2. #2
    member since may 2000 nhraformula's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    n/w chicago
    Age
    46
    Posts
    6,933

    black
    2000 nhra edition formula

    why do you want to change? alot of the synthetic oil out there isnt even 100% synthetic anymore
    2000 nhra edition formula
    a few bolt ons, 379 rwhp
    11.96 @113.25

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Somers, NY
    Posts
    31

    Black
    2002 Pontiac Firehawk

    Two reasons: 1) It's better for the engine (urban legend?) and 2) So I only have to change the oil once a year... I drive approx 2,00 miles per year and don't want to worry about the oil breaking down after 3 months and 1,000 miles. Maybe I'm making a mountain out of a mole-hill... My Grandfather told me since I was a little boy, "Changing the oil is the most important thing you can do for your car. It's the secret to making your car last forever!"

  4. #4
    member since may 2000 nhraformula's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    n/w chicago
    Age
    46
    Posts
    6,933

    black
    2000 nhra edition formula

    Quote Originally Posted by 2K2 HAWK View Post
    Two reasons: 1) It's better for the engine (urban legend?) and 2) So I only have to change the oil once a year... I drive approx 2,00 miles per year and don't want to worry about the oil breaking down after 3 months and 1,000 miles. Maybe I'm making a mountain out of a mole-hill... My Grandfather told me since I was a little boy, "Changing the oil is the most important thing you can do for your car. It's the secret to making your car last forever!"
    i change my oil once a year also because i only drive 3k or so per year.
    i use good old conventional oil and all is fine.

  5. #5
    Grand Imperial Wizard Sarge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Texas Department of Corrections
    Posts
    18,123
    Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

    Todays SM rated conventionals are as good as synthetics for 3-5 thousand mile Oil Change Intervals firstly. The only advantages of running a synthetic today for those OCI's would be heat tolerance above 300f and cold starting pumpability....and that is fractional at best....Secondly...you can change to synthetics anytime you wish...day one or 100,000 miles...doesnt matter.....that urban myth comes from in the early days of synthetics...they cleaned seals and gaskets causing leaks that had been prviously plugged by sludge and crap.....that scenario doesnt exist today.....I would rethink Royal Purple as they have been delivering some world class shit results lately for Used Oil Analysis.....
    This is my signature. It is mine. Nobody else has one like it.

  6. #6
    LS1 Advisor SLP_WS6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Norman, OK
    Age
    39
    Posts
    25

    2000 Silver WS6 M6
    2002 Black Tahoe

    One thing to be cautious about is the oil filter. Yes, a synthetic will not have as much heat breakdown, and will maintain it original properties much longer than conventional oil, but the filter would be a weak point if you only plan on changing the oil once a year. I would recommend changing your filter at least every 6 months to be safe!

    My favorite oil for the cost/benefit factor is Mobile One. Yes, there are some more expensive, marginally better ones out there but it's not worth the expense.
    Last edited by SLP_WS6; 07-19-2007 at 09:00 AM. Reason: claification

  7. #7
    Single Malt rbob93's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL
    Age
    68
    Posts
    2,707

    Sebring Silver
    2000 CamaroSS

    Quote Originally Posted by SLP_WS6 View Post
    My favorite oil for the cost/benefit factor is Mobile One. Yes, there are some more expensive, marginally better ones out there but it's not worth the expense.
    Pennzoil Platinum kicks Mobil One's ass in cost & performance

  8. #8
    Grand Imperial Wizard Sarge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Texas Department of Corrections
    Posts
    18,123
    Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

    For sure ^^^^^

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Fredericksburg, VA
    Age
    30
    Posts
    151

    Black
    2001 T/A M6

    I also use Mobil1

  10. #10
    UberTapping Friction Pimp Anthracis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Omar's Tittie Taverna & Grill, Deh Rawod
    Posts
    1,447

    18D Cock Diesel
    1999 Z28; 98 SS #2043 RIP

    +1 Pennzoil Platinum
    "I am the executioner. When a crime is committed and the exalted state does not take vengeance nor move to punish, then comes time for the executioner to declare himself. I have waited long enough. The criminals are hereby sentenced to death. By fire. By earth. By water."

  11. #11
    Member Bandit1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Philly PA
    Age
    33
    Posts
    348

    black
    2002 TA WS7

    sarge what type of oil and what brand do u recommend?

  12. #12
    Grand Imperial Wizard Sarge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Texas Department of Corrections
    Posts
    18,123
    Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

    Right now ( as formulations change with the wind these days) Pennzoil Platinum 10-30 is about the best oil out there.....

  13. #13
    2 SS's are better than 1 Jays00ss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Lathrop, Missouri
    Posts
    2,479

    NBM / Silver
    00 SS / 71 SS Elcamino

    mobil 1 or royal purple with a mobil 1 filter (twice the filtering area as a fram)

  14. #14
    Slow'er'Ass Mr. Luos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Thornton, CO
    Posts
    23,785

    Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

    Delco filter.
    Pennzoil Platinum 10w-30. At least once the VP runs out.


    No more wasting money on Mobil 1. Good oil...just not $6 a quart good.

  15. #15
    Member MegaMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    woodbridge, nj
    Age
    30
    Posts
    250

    green
    95 firebird

    Quote Originally Posted by Sarge View Post
    Todays SM rated conventionals are as good as synthetics for 3-5 thousand mile Oil Change Intervals firstly. The only advantages of running a synthetic today for those OCI's would be heat tolerance above 300f and cold starting pumpability....and that is fractional at best....Secondly...you can change to synthetics anytime you wish...day one or 100,000 miles...doesnt matter.....that urban myth comes from in the early days of synthetics...they cleaned seals and gaskets causing leaks that had been prviously plugged by sludge and crap.....that scenario doesnt exist today.....I would rethink Royal Purple as they have been delivering some world class shit results lately for Used Oil Analysis.....
    Interesting. Are you saying that a good conventional oil, changed at the proper intervals, will be just as "healthy" for a car as a good full synthetic?

  16. #16
    Member Stricken1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    248

    Black
    2001 Trans Am WS6

    Quote Originally Posted by rbob93 View Post
    Pennzoil Platinum kicks Mobil One's ass in cost & performance
    Yeah thats what I heard until I used PP last time...let me tell you the crap came outta my car like black syrup.....M1 has never ever looked that bad. I change my oil every 3k using syn oil I will never use PP again! Oh and I work for Pennzoil if that aint a statement I dont know what is.

  17. #17
    MANWHORE TEAM suede's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Your Mom's Bedroom
    Posts
    4,548

    Negro
    2000 Trans Am WS.6

    I talked to the mechanic who works on every kind of car about oils one day and the synthetic came up. His take on it was synthetics are better for the change interval and better viscosity. He also said the one he recomended was mobil one and his least recomended was penzoil. I trust his word, he rebuilds engines for the local racecars and for anyone else too and has seen the results of each

  18. #18
    Junior Member alkaydenz-28's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    meridian, ms
    Posts
    23

    pewter
    1999 z-28

    i use kn oil filter and mobile 1 full synthetic, but, i dont think there is a "best" oil out there. you can use the most piece of crap of oil out there (not unless your racing), as long as you check / change your oil regularly. i always check my oil every gas fill. if it dont look right to me, even if i just changed my oil 100 mile ago, i would go ahead and change it. and also, like the other members are saying, changing your filter is as important as changing your oil.
    Last edited by alkaydenz-28; 07-24-2007 at 08:27 PM. Reason: add info

  19. #19
    MOTOR CITY MARO' SSTODD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    LIVONIA,MICHIGAN
    Age
    50
    Posts
    786

    PEWTER
    2000 CAMARO SS #3821

    Quote Originally Posted by Stricken1 View Post
    Yeah thats what I heard until I used PP last time...let me tell you the crap came outta my car like black syrup.....M1 has never ever looked that bad. I change my oil every 3k using syn oil I will never use PP again! Oh and I work for Pennzoil if that aint a statement I dont know what is.
    I think that means the oil is working, you do not want it to come out clean looking like it went in.

  20. #20
    Slow'er'Ass Mr. Luos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Thornton, CO
    Posts
    23,785

    Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

    Quote Originally Posted by SSTODD View Post
    I think that means the oil is working, you do not want it to come out clean looking like it went in.
    After even just 1,000 miles...my oil better be dirty. Or I am switching oils.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. What oil to go with?
    By JohnsSS in forum General Help
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 06-19-2007, 05:45 PM
  2. Change your oil lately? Don't do this..
    By 00ws6m6 in forum Almost Anything Goes
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-21-2007, 04:44 PM
  3. 110,000miles!!
    By white/blue99ta in forum General Help
    Replies: 38
    Last Post: 05-07-2006, 08:17 AM
  4. oil change instructions
    By oneBADDz in forum Almost Anything Goes
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 04-26-2006, 09:10 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •