Thread: Wheel Bearing?

pewter
    2000 camaro

Wheel Bearing?

Quick question--has anyone had a rear wheeel bearing go bad? My right rear tire is very loud now on the road...figured i could fix my rotating the tires...nope...still loud enough i cant hear anything on my cell phone...(yea yea...im getting to the 40's but that not the case!:>)

I am guessing its the wheel bearing making the racket...anyone else have this and if so how much do they go fore?

Thanks and Merry Christmas...Happy holidays the whoel 9!

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Yes, the rear wheel bearings have been known to fail. Unfortunately, this may also result in the axle being damaged. The rear axle is retained by a c-clip in the center section of your rear (assuming you have the stock 10 bolt). You will need to remove your wheel, the caliper and caliper bracket, and brake disc. If you car has traction control (ASR), you will also need to pull the sensor from behind the backing plate. After removing the c-clip, the axle should slide out and you will then be able to inspect the axle surface where the bearing runs and replace the bearing and seal.

Black
    99 WS.6 - Modified

^This. Plus, it's a good tme to inspect everything else back there too. Check the brake caliper and pins, pads, parking brake, ect.

white
    98 Ram air T/A Ls1/T-56

and Youll be changing the fluid also..

I bet it is the rear, once it goes it is a domino effect. I eneded up with new axels and a rear end. Spray hits hard.

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

Its possible the axle, bearing or both are damaged. How many miles? do you just do daily driving with the car? If you are going to do some track time or drive the car hard it will be a matter of time before the rear end breaks down, i will suggest a 12 bolt. If you just need to do DD the 10 bolt will be fine but if the carrier bearings, pinion bearings or axles are bad it will start to eat alot of money to get it fix.

Now I had my 10 bolt for a while (knock on wood) and it is still good. I had a bad axle and bearing. I ended replacing the bad axle, new bearings in both sides, new seals, new gasket and new gear oil with additive. It not hard to replace the bearings and axles but you got to make sure you have the tools for it. If you cant afford an axle you can get a repair bearing for the time if a reapir bearing has not been used before. A repair bearing moves the bearing to a different location allowing the bearing to ride in a new undamaged area of the axle.

I used a repair bearing but it only lasted me 6 months.

Bat mobile black
    2000 Trans am WS6 M6

This is a common wear and tear item. The bearings themselves are very cheap i got mine from auto zone. Its really not hard at all to change them. While you have the rear end cover off try to clean out as much old oil as you can. The only way to pull the axles out is to take a bolt (8mm or 10mm, cant remember) out that holds them in. Be VERY CAREFUL removing it since it is covered in oil you can strip it very easy. The bearings will probably be pretty hard to get off. I ended up putting a long piece of metal pipe in from one side to the other and knocked them out that way. After that just bang the new ones in, grease them up, and put everything back together and you should be good. If you said you cant talk on the cell phone from the noise, then you probably have fucked up axles by now. Just a thought...

pewter
    2000 camaro

wheel bearing

thanks for the responses....its a daily driver with 121k only made it to the track once with the car. i have been driving it for a while with the noise (albeit a lot less)..actually in the summer drove it from sarasota to new orleans. i had the rear end fluid changed last year...i am worried though becuase i was hoping that it might just be the tire wear. The nexen 3000 i have on there have 20k miles and are fish scaled pretty bad. I just had them rotated and it did not improve. I think im going to get a new set of tires....next pay check and see if that helps..ill start from easy fix to the big stuff....uggg...
    thanks again...

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

If you change the bearings and your axles are bad you can always buy used ones as long as the teeth are not bad. Check the area were the bearing rides as well. I bought mine from a local place that parts out muscle cars for $50. If the wheel lugs are bad you can replace those easy. here is a pic of my bad axle:

That line in middle was causing awful noise when driving.

2001 CAMARO SS / Black
    2009 COLORADO V8/dk gray

Hope it's not your pinion bearing...

Thread Information