Results 1 to 13 of 13

What's wrong with my engine?

This is a discussion on What's wrong with my engine? within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Under acceleration at 1/4 or 1/2 open throttle, the engine in my 2000 WS-6 seems to lag as soon as ...

  1. #1
    Junior Member Ponti-MANIac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    In your head
    Posts
    81
    2000 Pontiac Trans-am WS6

    What's wrong with my engine?

    Under acceleration at 1/4 or 1/2 open throttle, the engine in my 2000 WS-6 seems to lag as soon as it hits 2500 rpm and continues to feel like I'm pulling a bus unless I mash the pedal. I have an m6 tranny and it doesn't seem to matter what gear I'm in although when driving it sanely I'm usually in 2nd or 3rd at the time it happens. It almost feels like the engine is retarding or the engine breaking caused from compression is causing a problem. (Again under WOT there is no problem) Does anyone else have this happen? The engine has 59k miles on it and runs excellent so I don't know if this is normal or not but I don't remember noticing this issue when I bought the car 2 years ago.
    The only mods are an SLP lid, Borla cat back, TB bypass, Diablo Predator tune. (Engine lag is noticible with stock tune or performance tune).
    Please advise if you have any ideas.
    Thanks.

  2. #2
    Awaiting Activation
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    LS1 land
    Age
    28
    Posts
    1,667
    i had a problem that sounds similar to yours. Try cleaning your MAF. Use electronic contact cleaner.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Jacksonville, FL
    Posts
    2,725
    Set the Predator to real time data and look at KR and timing when it happens. No codes?

  4. #4
    Junior Member Ponti-MANIac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    In your head
    Posts
    81
    2000 Pontiac Trans-am WS6

    Quote Originally Posted by 2001NBMZ28 View Post
    Set the Predator to real time data and look at KR and timing when it happens. No codes?
    What specifically should I be looking for and what readings would be an indicator of something being wrong? (I'm still learning how to use the programmer to full advantage)
    Thank you!

  5. #5
    Junior Member Ponti-MANIac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    In your head
    Posts
    81
    2000 Pontiac Trans-am WS6

    Quote Originally Posted by 99blueZ View Post
    i had a problem that sounds similar to yours. Try cleaning your MAF. Use electronic contact cleaner.
    Thanks for the input, I'll take your advice. Sounds easy and I've got nothing to lose.

  6. #6
    Senior Member Too Fast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Age
    53
    Posts
    5,167

    Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

    Yes, clean the MAF. That could be the issue. Also, could possibly be a Throttle Position Sensor dead spot, with your engine off ignition on, get the TPS to show on your Predator. Now, slowly floor the accelerator while watching the TPS reading. It should be smoothly ramping up to almost 5 volts, with no dead spots. It is easy to check that and eliminate it. However, a bad TPS usually causes a hesitation. Good luck.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Jacksonville, FL
    Posts
    2,725
    As far as KR is concerned, ideally you don't want any. Cleaning the MAF is an excellent idea.

  8. #8
    Junior Member Ponti-MANIac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    In your head
    Posts
    81
    2000 Pontiac Trans-am WS6

    Quote Originally Posted by 2001NBMZ28 View Post
    As far as KR is concerned, ideally you don't want any. Cleaning the MAF is an excellent idea.
    Thanks Guys for the great advice! But just another show of my ignorance on this subject, what exactly is KR and what is the proper cleaning procedure for the MAF (screen, plug connection or both?)
    Thanks, again.

  9. #9
    Awaiting Activation
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    LS1 land
    Age
    28
    Posts
    1,667
    i assume by KR he means knock retard.

    As far as cleaning the MAF i went and bought electronic contact cleaner at radio shack and it comes with a straw to shoot it out of. Pretty simple. Take off your MAF and look at the inside. There are little tiny flimsy wires going between metal pieces. If they are dirty your car runs like shit. Spray these little tiny wires with the cleaner. BUT BE CAREFUL!!! They are very delecate. Do not touch the wires. Just spray them and let the cleaner do the work. Also, make sure you let it air dry fully before putting it back on and going for a test drive. Also pick any crap out that might be caught in the screen. Hope this helps - let us know how it goes!

  10. #10
    Junior Member Ponti-MANIac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    In your head
    Posts
    81
    2000 Pontiac Trans-am WS6

    Quote Originally Posted by 99blueZ View Post
    i assume by KR he means knock retard.

    As far as cleaning the MAF i went and bought electronic contact cleaner at radio shack and it comes with a straw to shoot it out of. Pretty simple. Take off your MAF and look at the inside. There are little tiny flimsy wires going between metal pieces. If they are dirty your car runs like shit. Spray these little tiny wires with the cleaner. BUT BE CAREFUL!!! They are very delecate. Do not touch the wires. Just spray them and let the cleaner do the work. Also, make sure you let it air dry fully before putting it back on and going for a test drive. Also pick any crap out that might be caught in the screen. Hope this helps - let us know how it goes!
    Thank you again and I will definetly keep you posted. It may be a few days 'til I get around to removing the MAF but I'll let you know.

  11. #11
    Veteran 0rion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    ohio
    Posts
    22,468

    98 Formula
    06 duramax

    Symptoms also sound like plugged cats.

  12. #12
    Junior Member Ponti-MANIac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    In your head
    Posts
    81
    2000 Pontiac Trans-am WS6

    Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    Symptoms also sound like plugged cats.
    Plugged cats at 59k miles? There is plenty of exhaust pressure when I put my hand over the tail pipes. Wouldn't I get and SES light if that was the case?
    Thanks.

  13. #13
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    nm
    Age
    59
    Posts
    11

    dark blue
    02 trans am

    Same problem???????

    I seem to have the same problem. When taking off my 02 Trans Am acts like it is flooding out, no power between 2K and about 3.2K RPMs. Then when WOT it goes like a rocket. Sometimes just stopping at the red light and restarting the engine takes the problem away. I have cleaned out my MAP and even bought one from SLP. I think it is time for a tune up of sorts. Like change the MAP and wires and plugs and etc.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •