SOM
    01 WS6

What's it worth?

I have an opportunity to buy a pewter 1999 Trans Am (not a WS6) with 18,xxx miles. Has a few issues as it's been sitting for 4 years. Has a few dents and peeling clear over right front wheel well. Needs tires and possibly brakes all around. Cracked dash plastci, drivers side door panel and the driver seat looks like a really fat lady drove it for 18,xxx miles. Needs sun visors too. Engine runs incredibly well....like an 18k mile car should.

Purchase would be to flip....what's it worth?
    Last edited by 86GrandNat; 08-12-2015 at 07:07 AM.

Silver & Blue
    02 Camaro SS, 04 GTO

I do not think the mileage is correct for this vehicle because of the condition. If it is correct I would not go over 7k for a 4a car or8k for a 6m car. Pictures would really help a lot.
    My ride is a 2002 Camaro SS SLP #3296 with 30k, LTH, 3" Y, CME, Frost tune, K&N, ported TB, Blackwing lid, Bellows, MSD, Denso Iridium, and 85mm MAF, Bilsteins, Eibach springs, SLP strut brace, Adj. Panhard, TA Girdle, UMI, Pro 5.0, Nitto NT555
    My wife has a 2004 GTO with the rare SAP, 18" wheels, K&N Cold Air System, MSD, Ported TB, Frost tune, Denso Iridium, Flowmaster cat-back, 3200 Yank, 75k

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

There is a fairly low mile T/A on a dealer lot we drive by with an asking price of $19,500.00. That's about $9,000.00 more than I would pay.

Blog Entries
    Some friends said I overpaid, some UNDER ?! Very good condition all-orig. '99 30th Ann. WS6 t-top 6-speed with Hurst shifter and Traction Control, manual and car cover, no water leaks, only 1 rattling speaker. Learher seats good but some wear and aging/musty smell. 37k miles, new Conti tires all-season Contact with about 1k miles on them. I had ti fix a few bulbs and charge A/C with refrigerant, but all else o.k. Price ? I paid about $ 18 k. Too high or great deal? New Jersey region.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by 86GrandNat View Post
    I have an opportunity to buy a pewter 1999 Trans Am (not a WS6) with 18,xxx miles. Has a few issues as it's been sitting for 4 years. Has a few dents and peeling clear over right front wheel well. Needs tires and possibly brakes all around. Cracked dash plastci, drivers side door panel and the driver seat looks like a really fat lady drove it for 18,xxx miles. Needs sun visors too. Engine runs incredibly well....like an 18k mile car should.

something there isn't adding up.......that's the worst 18k mile car I've ever heard of. For comparison.....my 98 has 99k miles on it and I have zero of those issues.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Agree. My 2002 35th LE SS now has 25,XXX miles on it and my car is damn near flawless.
    Boost gets you laid, unless your name is Jon.

Silver
    1999 Trans-Am, 2012 Sonic

I have a 126,000 mile 6m car that is super clean. Purchased it with 121,000 bone stock with a slightly worn side bolster front seat, missing passenger sun visor, worn floor mat. A few of the common oil leaks, and perfect paint..paid $7k 4 yrs. ago. Fast forward 4 yrs. and $10,500 in added fun factor and I nearly have my dream car. $6-8,000 would be max
    Last edited by kingls1; 08-16-2015 at 12:42 PM.

Something Diabolical... chuckie669's Avatar
    2000 C5 Torch Red

Sounds like if legit it's sat for more than four years. And out in the elements too.

So it needs tires and brakes at 18k. Are they worn out or dry rotted? What's wrong with the brakes? May give you idea of what kind of life that car has had.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Seats don't get worn out in 18k miles imo.

Pewter
    2002 Trans Am WS6 M6

My seats still looked new when I bought it at almost 17k. Car was probably around 80k before the leather on the driver side finally started to come apart.
    Mods - Lid, Skip Shift Eliminator, MGW shifter, UMI SFCs, Founders Lower Control Arms, Founders Panhard Bar, Founders Adj. Torque Arm, UMI Torque arm mount, MWC Drive shaft safety loop, KONI Yellows, Strano Springs, Strano Sway bars, UMI Upper and lower A Arms, 160 thermostat, TSP headers and TSP true duals Monster stage 2 clutch, racetronix fuel pump, Strange S60 rear axle and tune by Frost.

My seats still look like brand new with 110k miles on them. If that mileage is legit that has to be the roughest 18,000 mile car I've ever heard of. I have 45 year old unrestored cars here in better shape than what you described.

Usually the low mile 4th gens like that around here have no problem what so ever fetching $15-$20k whether they are auto or stick as long as mileage is legit and the car shows well. In the local auctions there are always a few every year that pass through and fetch nearly $30k.

It really depends on your location, advertising, and who's buying etc... But if you're in the mindset of flipping a car to make money, 4th gens aren't the car to do it with. As most of these cars are viewed by young people that really don't want to pay what someone else feels it's worth, or even book value in some cases. Toss in the fact there are too many beaters around for chump change makes them even harder to sell. Only way I see to make money with them is to buy totals and part them out, you make more off the parts than the sum of the car itself.

Personally I'd move onto more desirable vehicles that fit your demographic and skill set to flip and make money with.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    My seats still look like brand new with 110k miles on them. If that mileage is legit that has to be the roughest 18,000 mile car I've ever heard of. I have 45 year old unrestored cars here in better shape than what you described.

Usually the low mile 4th gens like that around here have no problem what so ever fetching $15-$20k whether they are auto or stick as long as mileage is legit and the car shows well. In the local auctions there are always a few every year that pass through and fetch nearly $30k.

It really depends on your location, advertising, and who's buying etc... But if you're in the mindset of flipping a car to make money, 4th gens aren't the car to do it with. As most of these cars are viewed by young people that really don't want to pay what someone else feels it's worth, or even book value in some cases. Toss in the fact there are too many beaters around for chump change makes them even harder to sell. Only way I see to make money with them is to buy totals and part them out, you make more off the parts than the sum of the car itself.

Personally I'd move onto more desirable vehicles that fit your demographic and skill set to flip and make money with.
    sound advice

BLACK
    1998 PONTIAC TA

My car is 1998 with 98,xxx on the odometer. Drivers seat has a little wear on it, but no rips. Paint is in great shape, minus a few scratches and a couple of dings. My car has been in a garage for the last 12 years, so im sure that helps in the overall condition of the car. The dash isn't cracked either, but i've seen a bunch of these cars with the cracked up dashes. It seems the car your looking at has been road hard and put away wet. With 18k on the clock and the condition its in, I find it hard to believe the mileage is correct. I would think that maybe the milage had been tampered with. I think 8k would be my offer.
    1998 Pontiac TA, stock heads, FAST 90, FAST 90 TB, FLP LT, off road y-pipe with cat delete, flow master muffler, comp cams 54-457-11 223/231-610/617-112 LSA, Pro charger D1SC with FMIC @ 8psi, FROST tune, VIG 3200 stall, built 4l60e, snow meth kit, MOSER 12 bolt 373 gears, Derale 13900 trans cooler.

Blog Entries
    What think mine is worth to private no-rush buyer now? '99 TransAm 30th Anniv. Ed. t-top Hurst 6spd stick ws6 white w blue stripes and original blue alloy wheels. EVERYTHING works now incl. A/C, radio, power antenna, air-powered lumbar/lateral seats, cd player in dash. 39,000 miles even. Very clean. Have original leather rear deck 30th Anniv. shelf pad/mat. Never crashed or rusted. $25-28k ?

Green
    97 Firebird

Quote Originally Posted by 86GrandNat View Post

I've noticed this a lot! What would be the best/most economic place to buy that front (near the windshield) dash panel, part # 10422746?

11 years of bangin gears cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

HawksThirdGen
    Cleveland Power and Performance. Used to be Cleveland Pick-A-Part
    GTOG8TA

extreme dimensions, driveshaft shop, harrop, hid(35watt/6k) lows, hurst, k&n, led fogs, maverick man, mishimoto, nitto, revshift, slp, stern st-1, smoked sidemarkers, whiteline poly radius rod bushings

Sunset Orange Metallic
    2002 Camaro SS M6

Not sure were I heard the quote but I remember it goes something like....."A car is only worth as much as someone's willing to pay for it"

Light pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS vert

There is a silver 99 T/A RA on Autotrader for $32,000 has 125 miles on it. Stored in climate controlled room.
    2000 Chevy Camaro SS Convertible A4 Light Pewter metallic- SLP lid, SLP Loudmouth 1 Exhaust.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Low miles isn't always a good thing. Means the car has likely sat without being started, which is terrible for the motor.

Thread Information