blown5.0

whats the difference between a ws6, TA, Z28 &ss

i am new to the site and after many years of having a fast mustang i have decided its time to get something better suited for a weekend / cruiser car( i am getting old ). i dont know much about the ls1 engines so i came here looking for some help . is there a difference in Hp between the Z28 , SS ,ws6 and a reg trans am ,also how strong are the auto trans in theses cars . what gears did theses cars comes with and how strong are the rearends? also what problem did theses cars have that i should beware of when looking to buy .thanks Jd

2002 Camaro SS

Horsepower wise, they are all about the same depending on tranny type and year model with the exception of freak cars. The 1998-early 2000 Camaro SS and Ram-Air Trans-Ams came from GM with a slightly better flowing muffler than the Z28 and T/A, Larger 32mm front sway-bar versus 30 mm for Z28 and T/A, stiffer springs and shocks than Z28 and T/A, 17 inch wheels versus Z28 and T/A 16 inch wheels, and of course the unique body panels. From late 2000-2002 The Camaro SS and Ram-Air T/A came with the same alterations over a Z28 or T/A but the springs and shocks changed and are the same as the Z28 and T/A. The 6-speeds all came with 3.42 gears. The autos came with either 2.73 or 3.23. WS6 and SS auto cars came only with 3.23 gears. The rear ends are weak and as far as the auto, I've only had LT1 autos and never had any problems with the trannys, but the LS1 makes a good bit more power in stock form over the LT1. Others can chime in about the strength of the autos.

Pewter
    1999 Trans Am

pretty much summed it up for you, If you are looking to MOD and are planning on changing the thing tht where a little better on the SS and the WS6 models then you are better off buyinh a base line Z or TA, SS and WS6 models often carry a higher price tag even if there is nothing done to them

go with the TA in my opinion, smoother body lines

Black
    97 z28

In My opinion.. if you aren't planning on doing alot of power adding, and plan on an auto, I think you'll be fine with the stock rearend... shouldn't have to worry about breaking it too much..
    -SprFstZ28

blown5.0
    hey thanks for the replies lots of good info on this site that i am sure will help me in my search for a f body. My mustang buddies sure will be shocked to see a SS or a ws6 sitting in the driveway lol but its time for a change. oh more ? are there any recalls on the SS i should beware
    Last edited by blown5.0; 01-30-2006 at 11:17 AM.

navy blue
    2002 Z-28 Camaro M6

welcome aboard ! I've been driving F-bodies since late 97 and haven't heard of any recalls of any importance on these cars,maybe somebody else has,I've never had any problems with the two that I've had.

Thread Information