Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

What's the best LS motor for a 02 Camaro?

This is a discussion on What's the best LS motor for a 02 Camaro? within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; I'm wondering which engine you have too. An alternative would be to bore out the LS1 engine your SS should ...

1994 POS

I'm wondering which engine you have too. An alternative would be to bore out the LS1 engine your SS should have to the same specs of the LS7, after all its the same block and will be a heck of a lot cheaper.

Jesus died to save you! Killer_bluebird's Avatar

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by 02_camaro
    whoever said i had a v6 camaro? I got a SLP SS, but its doesn't have a ls1 which i think is retarted.
    You have an 02 camaro SS and it doesn't have an LS1 enginge in it?

Can you post more info on your car?

Another alternative is a 402-408 LS2. They are relatively inexpensive and are putting good numbers (over 500hp).

Quote Originally Posted by MadSeason
    I'm wondering which engine you have too. An alternative would be to bore out the LS1 engine your SS should have to the same specs of the LS7, after all its the same block and will be a heck of a lot cheaper.
    this thread is funny. Do none of you know anything about the cars you drive?

02 Camaro - If you car is an SS and doesn't have an LS1 it must be an Lt1. Which is retarded as the LS1 was not available when the lt1 was in production.

any major engine swap is going to cost BIG money. If you do infact have an LT1 then the easiest and cheepest thing is to build it. 500+bhp isn't so hard to acheive. But it all depends on what you want and how much you want to spend.

BlackHawk T/A
    Quote Originally Posted by 300bhp/ton
    this thread is funny. Do none of you know anything about the cars you drive?

02 Camaro - If you car is an SS and doesn't have an LS1 it must be an Lt1. Which is retarded as the LS1 was not available when the lt1 was in production.

any major engine swap is going to cost BIG money. If you do infact have an LT1 then the easiest and cheepest thing is to build it. 500+bhp isn't so hard to acheive. But it all depends on what you want and how much you want to spend.
    The LT1 became obsolete in 1997 when the LS1 was brought to life and isn't going to be in an 02 Camaro...

02_camaro
    See when I bought the car the guy told me that he sold the LS1 for money so he could try to pay off the rest of his payments, so when I bought it, it was a rolling chassis but it had the stock TH-400 tranny in it, so I have a buddy who works with a salvage yard and he got me a stock WS6(which go in T/A) that had 20,000 miles on it and he installed it for me at no charge. So theres the story of my car.

n2ows6
    what year T/A did this motor come out of if it was a 01-02 it is a perfect match right down to the cam shaft. but 98-02 were all ls1's be it SS or T/A WS6. With a small amount of them coming stock with a LS6 block/ Which is a even stronger block.
    First find out what you have then go from there . If it were me I'd stay away from the whole 427 thing . a 3.90" bore has a faster rev than the 4.25 bore.

02_camaro
    Oh, so it is a LS1? It doesn't say it anywhere or anything. I feel stupid.

Cyclone Grey Metallic
    2006 GTO

A TH 400 was NOT a stock transmission either. 4L60E was the stock auto. All LS1s were in fact the same so you have only one real question, if the TA was an 01-02 then you have the LS1 with an LS6 intake, otherwise you have the 98-00 LS1s which can have very small differences like the PCM or fuel injector size.

I dig music..I'M ON DRUGS Deviant Hawk's Avatar

Arctic White
    '01 T/A Firehawk

I feel like I should go outside and look under my hood real quick. wow. . .

02_camaro
    good god peole, shit im only 17 and i got the car 2 weeks ago holy crap. im a ford guy not a chevy kind of guy. but whatever i need to study more about chevys.

Ric

Red
    2000 T/A WS6

Oh, do you have the RS??? That's a totally different aminal.

Ric

Red
    2000 T/A WS6

Look on the door sticker, driver side. Somewhere on there you'll find "LS1" if your car came with an LS1. Does it SOUND like a V8? If so, then it's most likely an LS1, considering it'd be a step backards to put a good ol' 350 in there.

silver
    1999 trans am

will the LS7 be a bolt-in replacement for an LS1? luv to put one in my '99 trans am.

1994 POS

Quote Originally Posted by dotcom2000
    will the LS7 be a bolt-in replacement for an LS1? luv to put one in my '99 trans am.
    Not exactly... Harnesses, sensors, computer, oil pan, ect... will have to be reworked to fit one into an Fbody, but it will bolt right in.

Sebring Silver
    2000 CamaroSS

Look at your VIN number.

Read it from left to right.

If your car had an LS1 engine, the eighth digit will be a G.

I believe the designation for the six cylinder engine is J.

Good luck.

Bob
    Last edited by rbob93; 09-11-2005 at 03:42 AM.

zeppelin77
    LS6 service engine part #12498399 405HP comes with F body oil pan $5199.00 from crate engine depot

Rhino21149
    The LS7 is rated 505 HP under the new SEA "certified horsepower" rating (i.e., no BS with either over- or under-rating it) with the ZO^s exhaust. Challenge with an F-body would be getting an exhaust big enough not to limit it- really would need a full dual H pipe (the ZO6 has 3" dual H-pipe). On the other hand the LS7 doesn't have really good exhaust manifolds from the factory so you'd pick up something there.

I would expect the LS7 crate engine, when available ina year of so, to be about $9-$10K and Gm has announced it will be a dry sump version. Even though it is a really good high-end quality engine, it will still be a stock component engine. Probably end up with about 450-455 RWHP for about $12-$13K total expediture.

For that much, you could shop around for the components to put together an aftermarket engine that would produce about 10% or more HP. I got an FE 408 for my Camaro: $4400 for the short block with good components from HP Engrng, $2800 for big port AFR heads, and about $3000 for everything else: headers, cam, intake manifold, thorttle body, etc. It dynoed 490 RWHP normally aspirated and has the strength to take serious (250+) shots of nitrous.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information