What are you guys using...

To adapt a fuel pressure sending unit to the fuel rail. Darn thing isn't pipe thread. I'm guessing some sort of metric thread adapter?

Never mind, I found that Texas Speed sells an adapter to convert that to 1/8" NPT, but they don't mention what thread type the fuel rail is.

$15 for a fitting,,,sheeesh. If I knew the other size I could probably find something at the hardware store.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Yeah, I had to use one also. Glad you found it.

Thanks, Appears to be metric according to my thread checker. No wonder they make a special fitting and charge $15 for it. I'm not going to find an adapter that goes from metric to 1/8" NPT at a hardware store. Figures..

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Why do you think it would be simple?

Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    Why do you think it would be simple?
    Silly me

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Been too long for me to remember -- here's a pic:

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    Been too long for me to remember -- here's a pic:

Click for full size
    Yep, looks like the same fitting Texas Speed sells. Nice touch that your setup uses a factory style weather pack for the sending unit. I like little details like that.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

It's an Autometer digital gauge and sender.

Ah I see. I went with an EVO digital.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

Well I'm always looking for small things like this to do while waiting on other projects. Planning on doing my LQ build next summer but not planning on FI but you never know? Still not sure if I want to experiment with laughing gas so I'm just staying away.

I want gauges but not sure what I need vs want.

I know I want fuel pressure and a new tach with shift light but the rest not sure.

So with a NA motor would a wideband be worth having? what other gauges?

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

I like those EVO gauges, very crisp and sharp looking

Quote Originally Posted by SMWS6TA View Post
    I like those EVO gauges, very crisp and sharp looking
    According to reports, those EVO gauges have won best and most popular at the Sema show the last 4 years in a row. They get alot of rave reviews. I just didn't want to spend $2-300 on (what I consider) a better Autometer gauge for my wifes 4th gen, I tend to spend money on the drivetrain, but for an "add on" gauge I'd rather spend the bigger money on the classic cars rather than her daily driver. So this $75 gauge fits the bill for her car.

Anywho, I only wanted the fuel pressure gauge as that's the critical one needed most, and I like to keep tabs on how it's doing, possibly giving me a sign of a fuel pump issue that I could take care of before it leaves you stranded somewhere, if you know what I mean.

AFR gauge is a personal thing I guess. I don't run one myself. Once you set the AFR in the tune, it doesn't really change unless there is something wrong. I tune them with my hand held LM1 Innovative wide band and once it's set I leave it alone, and rarely have to use the wideband on any particular car again unless I've changed something on the engine.
    But some people like to watch it or maybe it's a cool gauge to fill an extra hole if you go for a dual gauge pod?

All the other gauges I need are already incorporated into the factory dash, and are accurate enough to tell me if somethings wrong,,,that's all I care about. Temp gauge just needs to be in a normal range, and I know what temp that is by comparing it to HPtuners on the laptop. And as long as the oil pressure gauge is moving in the right direction I'm fine with it

The tach is accurate enough for me. It's been down the track enough that I know where it likes to be shifted using that factory tach, whether it's exactly what the engine is spinning doesn't matter to me. I shift it at 6400-6500 on the factory tach, so even if that's high or low in accuracy by 200 rpms, doesn't matter, that's where the car runs best at, I set the limiter to 6700 and let it fly. It does seem fairly accurate when it bumps the limiter as it's just barely above 6500 when I do bump it.

What I may do at a later date is hide a small shift light somewhere (maybe inside an AC duct) as that's really all I need.
    Last edited by Firebirdjones; 10-17-2012 at 09:47 AM.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

I went with the double gauge pod on the A-pillar -- top is a wideband A/F and bottom is fuel pressure. On the driver side of the center console, I mounted a transmission temperature gauge since we have a stalled A4. All other functions are monitored with a Hypertech plugged into the OBDII port and I can change the display as needed. Usually have knock retard, engine coolant temperature, incoming air temperature and rpm on that.

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    I went with the double gauge pod on the A-pillar -- top is a wideband A/F and bottom is fuel pressure. On the driver side of the center console, I mounted a transmission temperature gauge since we have a stalled A4. All other functions are monitored with a Hypertech plugged into the OBDII port and I can change the display as needed. Usually have knock retard, engine coolant temperature, incoming air temperature and rpm on that.
    That's a rolling wealth of information overload, I bet you're busy in there

I've watched that stuff on the laptop with HPtuners while tuning (record it and look back is a more accurate statement). I've even seen some people go to the extreme and mount the laptop on a pedestal that is bolted to the floor of the car so they basically have a permanent laptop mounted at all times That's carrying it a bit far I think. I don't want to watch it that much. The digital gauge screen is pretty cool though.

I will however hook it up at the track and record the runs so I can look over knock and AFR and maybe tweak something. But it's not like I'm at the track with it all the time either. Maybe once a year.

Thread Information