Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

What year LS1 TA should I get?

This is a discussion on What year LS1 TA should I get? within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; A stick isnt any faster (unless you're an extremely good driver) than an auto. The auto does rob some power ...

Black
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

A stick isnt any faster (unless you're an extremely good driver) than an auto. The auto does rob some power but keep in mind an auto can launch a lot harder. Generally, thats why a 6 speed will have a higher trap speed (less power loss). As for the rest...I agree with you. 6 speeds will also be a better roll racer (if you're into that) because the dead spots in an auto suck ass. Just remember not to underestimate a stalled auto from a roll though.

Tuning isnt any more difficult for a 98. It just has its limits. Ie...no speed density tuning and cant support a 2-3 bar tune. Unless you go with forced induction and push more than 12psi a 98 pcm will be fine. And even with that...you're looking at over 600 to the wheels. Hell, there is a guy 30 minutes from with with a 98 using the stock pcm pushing over 700rwhp with 13psi and single turbo.If you can't get enough power, get a piggy back like BS3 and call it a day.

The only way to tell an ls6 from an ls1 intake is by looking at the bottom...or part # obviously. The one on the right is an ls6. the flat bottom allows the plenum volume to be increased, also the intake ports are slightly worked over to improve flow.

Last edited by ~redlinels1~; 12-05-2005 at 02:18 PM.

Driving like i stole it!! dafizzman1's Avatar

Arctic White
    1998 Formula

Quote Originally Posted by GottaHaveLS1
    This is just a reply to some previous posts. I just think that the m6 is faster, more fun, fuel efficient and better for downshifting, etc. Driving a stick well also takes a lot of skill. I've also heard that an automatic tranny takes less hp to the wheels. In my opinion i think its a waste for a fast car to have an automatic...
    very true!

Arctic White
    1998 Formula

Quote Originally Posted by ~redlinels1~
    The only way to tell an ls6 from an ls1 intake is by looking at the bottom...or part # obviously. The one on the right is an ls6. the flat bottom allows the plenum volume to be increased, also the intake ports are slightly worked over to improve flow.

thanks.
    i was curious because they look identical from the top.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

"This is just a reply to some previous posts. I just think that the m6 is faster, more fun, fuel efficient and better for downshifting, etc. Driving a stick well also takes a lot of skill. I've also heard that an automatic tranny takes less hp to the wheels. In my opinion i think its a waste for a fast car to have an automatic..."
    Dont have much "experiance" do you?

4004spd
    Thanks for the posts...

Black
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by dafizzman1
    thanks.
    i was curious because they look identical from the top.
    No problem. Just remember guys. If you buy a used ls6 intake ALWAYS ask for pictures of the bottom. Its really easy to pawn an ls1 intake off as an ls6. It happens more often than not.

quicky06
    400 for a powder job on the block?

thats outrageous. i had that done on the 380 in my dune buggy and it cost me $100

now that i know the owner of the shop it cost me 5 bucks and lunch

Arctic White
    1998 Formula

the color was a special color and was expensive. (i thought yellow was yellow, guess not). i forgot that i had the bumpers painted too. so yea, just the block was really cheap.
    If you have the means and the desire, be prepared to do whatever it takes.

so far:
    suncoast creations functional ram air setup,pacesetter LT's/ORY,magnaflow,pro 5.0,hurst stick,LS6 cam,4:10 gears/stock rear(screaming for mercy!!!)
    -still more to come!!!!!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information