Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    4004spd

Thumbs up What year LS1 TA should I get?

Hi all
    New to the board. I have been looking at several LS1's Pontiac TA's. My budget will allow a nice 98 or 99. Which would be the better choice? I had a LT1, 2 yrs ago that I really liked, but ended up selling it. Now looking to add a LS1 to sit next to my 79 400 4speed TA. I could wait awhile until I can afford a 01-02. But I have found a few nice LS1's in the 7500-8500 range with anywhere from 80k- 100k. Is there any reason why I shouldn't buy one with a 100k. I want a automatic since I already have a 4 speed car. Any help or suggestions would help.
    Thanks

Pearl White

Yes!, this is exactly what I was going to post. I too am looking at early year LS1 TAs and was wondering what potential problems are there with higher mileage 98-99s? Any important differences between these and like 01-02 TA's, like LSD or anything? Im coming to you from DSMs and Supras and imports in general so Id appreciate any and all facts.

Black
    1998 Camaro SS Vert M6

Welcome to the board! Where in GA are you? Are you thinking of buying from a dealer or private sale? I wouldn't shy away from an LS1 with 100K on it but I would caution you to do your home work on anything you buy with that many miles on it.

Black
    1999 Trans Am M6

The O2 and 01 cars are better in numerous ways. They have the LS6 Intake. Better slave cylinder. Some even come with a LS6 block... around 15% i think. 99 and up also has the 16.8 gallon tank opposed to 15.5 in 98 i think. Also, i would recommend getting a ws6 no matter what year. I think i would much rather have a 99 ws6 than a 01 TA. One other thing... get a stick, even if you have to learn because the 0-60 time of an automatic TA is almost a second longer than a manual. Plus its more fun!

Black
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by GottaHaveLS1
    The O2 and 01 cars are better in numerous ways. They have the LS6 Intake. Better slave cylinder. Some even come with a LS6 block... around 15% i think. 99 and up also has the 16.8 gallon tank opposed to 15.5 in 98 i think. Also, i would recommend getting a ws6 no matter what year. I think i would much rather have a 99 ws6 than a 01 TA. One other thing... get a stick, even if you have to learn because the 0-60 time of an automatic TA is almost a second longer than a manual. Plus its more fun!
    I hope you're joking about the 0-60 comment.

An ls1 is an ls1. There are advantages and disadvantages of all years. Of course, the 01-02 are usually "better" but for the money you save buying a 98-99 can go towards modifications. It all depends on your budget though. Like it was mentioned earlier though. Do your homework. There are plenty of 98-99s rolling around with 50k miles on them for 8-9k. Just because its a few years older doesnt mean the new one is running better.

05 Wrangler
    00 Z28 sold :-(

One other thing... get a stick, even if you have to learn because the 0-60 time of an automatic TA is almost a second longer than a manual. Plus its more fun!
    Yea an auto is a tad slower due to more loss through the drive-train...but no where near a second, especially 0-60 which is from a dig Autos tend to be better drag cars due to the lack of driver error, easier launches..etc. Also throw in a high stall and a auto is a monster from a roll too. I like sticks and autos...they both have their perks and downsides.

Get a 99 over a 98 if you can...the PCM in 98 is completely different than 99+, so it can be a little more expensive to tune. I wouldn't not get a car just because it's a auto or isn't a 01+ with the ls6 intake manifold...there's a after market for all that. If the price is right get a 99 or 00 and put the money saved into the car.

LT's, 3400 stall, FIPK,CB
    2002 Z28

From 0-60 I would say the auto cars are a bit quicker, above that is where the M6 cars shine. I've never seen anywhere that a A4 is almost 1 second slower from 0-60. Doing many ET drags with cars with same basic mods as me and a M6, Inormally beat them in the 1/8th and they picked up after and beat me by about 1/10th at the end of the 1/4. Plus, adding a stall converter to the A4 really makes a difference. The 01-02's have advantages and the earlier cars do too, like slightly bigger cam etc. They are all pretty much the same in the long run.
    Last edited by rotwiler; 12-04-2005 at 06:37 PM.

Black
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by SeVeReDiStOrTiOn
    Yea an auto is a tad slower due to more loss through the drive-train...but no where near a second, especially 0-60 which is from a dig Autos tend to be better drag cars due to the lack of driver error, easier launches..etc. Also throw in a high stall and a auto is a monster from a roll too. I like sticks and autos...they both have their perks and downsides.

Get a 99 over a 98 if you can...the PCM in 98 is completely different than 99+, so it can be a little more expensive to tune. I wouldn't not get a car just because it's a auto or isn't a 01+ with the ls6 intake manifold...there's a after market for all that. If the price is right get a 99 or 00 and put the money saved into the car.
    I agree. If you ever want to go with forced induction or any major mods (besides typical heads and cam), shy away from the 98's because they cant support a speed density or 2-3 bar tune. In order to do this, you need to get a piggy back such as BS3 or replace the entire pcm with a 99+ pcm which is a lot of work.

On the same hand, I heard Hptuners might have found a way around it. But we'll see.
    Last edited by ~redlinels1~; 12-04-2005 at 06:55 PM.

Detailing + Design third_shift|studios's Avatar

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

Black
    1999 Trans Am M6

0-60 mph : 5.2 sec.(manual), 6.0 sec.(auto)
    http://www.modernracer.com/pontiacfi...ransamws6.html

This isn't the only site that i've seen this information on.

1966 Corvette Coupe

oh and just to let you know.... 98 and 99s have egrs and smog systems.... i dont think an 00 does so i would rather get one that doesnt have it... egrs have always given me probs on all my vehicles so i would rather not deal with it...

Black
    99 SS

get the 99 they have a stronger engine then a 98,(stronger rod bolts) and a better different PCM also.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Quote Originally Posted by SeVeReDiStOrTiOn

What! If you want to play Speed 3 ( The movie) and be banging shifts and making varoom noises with your lips then by all means get a M6....and a clutch/rear end etc.
    If you want to go quick get a A4 and a 3500RPM stall.....Adjust the shift points and firmness.....TransGo shift kit to beef it up a tad and no M6 can shift faster nor spool up quicker than a properly set up A4.
    Why do you think top fuelers/funny cars/Pro Stock all run automatics?
    Now if your Auto RX/Road Racing etc. of course you need a M6...but stop light to stop light....highway punch....1/8 or 1/4 mile...an A4 properly set up will walk an M6 of equal or superior RWHP everytime.....

Black
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

0-60 mph : 5.2 sec.(manual), 6.0 sec.(auto)
    http://www.modernracer.com/pontiacfi...ransamws6.html

This isn't the only site that i've seen this information on.
    Step...away...from...the...magazines. Would you like to explain why so many A4's have a better 1/8th mile time?

Driving like i stole it!! dafizzman1's Avatar

Arctic White
    1998 Formula

i was wondering if it is only the 00 and up that have the ls6 intake because i have a 98 formula and the manifold looks damn close to the ls6.

and the M6 is so much more fun and plus my girlfriend cant drive it! lol

and are the problems w/ the tuning going to be a real issue or just a little more difficult?
    thanks
    If you have the means and the desire, be prepared to do whatever it takes.

so far:
    suncoast creations functional ram air setup,pacesetter LT's/ORY,magnaflow,pro 5.0,hurst stick,LS6 cam,4:10 gears/stock rear(screaming for mercy!!!)
    -still more to come!!!!!!

Collectors Edition Yellow
    2002 Pontiac Trans AM WS6

Quote Originally Posted by ~redlinels1~
    Step...away...from...the...magazines. Would you like to explain why so many A4's have a better 1/8th mile time?
    Consistency and lack of error as some 1 mentioned!!! Even though i have an M6 autos shifts are flawless to where as we could miss a gear, shift too late/eairly and various other things...

Collectors Edition Yellow
    2002 Pontiac Trans AM WS6

Quote Originally Posted by dafizzman1
    i was wondering if it is only the 00 and up that have the ls6 intake because i have a 98 formula and the manifold looks damn close to the ls6.

and the M6 is so much more fun and plus my girlfriend cant drive it! lol

and are the problems w/ the tuning going to be a real issue or just a little more difficult?
    thanks
    How much did it cost to power coat your whole block??? Looking to doing that myself.. Looks nice BTW!!!

Driving like i stole it!! dafizzman1's Avatar

Arctic White
    1998 Formula

thanks.
    i rebuilt the whole drivetrain on the car so i figured lets do something different.
    (realatively inexpensive because my uncle's friend from birth owns a body shop. all i had to do was buy the paint. around $400)
    the paint goes all the way down to the oil pan.

regreting it now that i didnt do the mods then but at the time i thought a stock LS1 would be enough, but experience tells me otherwise now! haha

05 Wrangler
    00 Z28 sold :-(

Quote Originally Posted by dafizzman1

thanks
    The ls6 manifold didn't go in until 01...if you have one on your 98 it's an aftermarket with the egr put in. The ls1 and the ls6 manifold look very similar...but the ls6 doesn't have egr and is about a inch taller. You can buy a ls6 manifold w/egr from slp...new around 400 bones.

The 98 pcm is probably just more of an inconvenience..anytime one year is different then the rest it can be a pain. Hopefully someone that knows a lot about tuning will chime in.BTW.. nice lookin motor

Black
    1999 Trans Am M6

This is just a reply to some previous posts. I just think that the m6 is faster, more fun, fuel efficient and better for downshifting, etc. Driving a stick well also takes a lot of skill. I've also heard that an automatic tranny takes less hp to the wheels. In my opinion i think its a waste for a fast car to have an automatic...

Thread Information