SOM
    2002 SS

Where are the water drain routes on the camaro?Water inside!

Can anyone show me if there are any links or where the drain routing is? I for in my car and saw a puddle on the drivers side footwell where my heels are when driving !! As I drove the wetness pushed backwards so I'm guessing so far it's from the front.

Heading home now will pull the drivers seat and see if I can get the carpet up to see if I can find anything ..
    Last edited by 5abivt; 05-15-2011 at 04:00 PM.

SOM
    2002 SS

Anyone have guesses where the water came in from? Ar was parked on a downward angle on the driveway overnight and it's been pissing nonstop for days now. Never had an issue until today so I'm wondering if perhaps drain passages etc got blocked? This is seriously fffff*d up. It's my dd .. Was selling it and now this shchi hash happens !

white
    04 2500 4x4 crew cab

It leaked in from the hatch. There are drains under the footwell behind the rear seat. Park it nose up on the driveway. (Reverse of how you had it.) Then pull the trim just inside each door. Pull up on the carpet, and you should be able to feel rubber stoppers. Pull these out, open the doors, and let it sit. There are two runways from the front footwell on each side to pass under the seats. trust me, I just washed my carpet today.

SOM
    2002 SS

Wow thanks so much I really hope I can find out where it's leaking. I'm still using a towel to suck up all the water from the drivers seat area and under the pedals, I have the seat out and carpet rolled against the centre console.. There's SO much water but it's drying up real nice.

So those rubber stoppers.. Are they supposed to be there? If I remove them is that to drain only? Is there any way to Prevent this from happening again?

white
    04 2500 4x4 crew cab

Keep the car parked nose UP. Then it wont leak inside. Its all about the hatch scuppers and gutters. open your hatch, and look at the plastic gutters on either side. Then look at the top of the tailights, then you will see where it drains.

SOM
    2002 SS

So I guess the rear hatch weatherstrip isn't sealing as tight on one side? Passenger side is super dry everywhere. Drivers side is the issue. I did pull back the panel where the mid speakers go in and I can see that the sound deafened is wet. This part is elevated above the floor so it must have been coming from the hatch I guess. If I had a leak or sealing issue up front i can't see how it could get all the way back and up under the rear seat.. Then again carpet will aborsb :/

Thanks for the pic and the input. My car looks ugly parked ass down lol. I'm not a fan of the cme/valance. I'll just park it nose up when it rains I guess.

white
    04 2500 4x4 crew cab

And when you wash it. That's when you will understand how it works. You can see the water run out over the tailights.

SOM
    2002 SS

I definitely know how it works in the back lol.. It's one of my major peeves getting all the water out of the rear lights and bumper area because I can't stand the water that streaks out after a short drive. Ive mastered getting it all out though. 15 mins with the leaf blower in every crevice solved it.

Ok so I put the hatch down real slow dns noticed the rear weatherstrip has a solid piece in it right where it meets the hatch at the 90 degree bend. I'm assuming it's for this very reason ; so it's a better seal when the hatch is shut. I tried shutting my hatch and can see that theres probably not that much squish when closed. Is there a way to lower the hatch mechanism to allow the hatch to go downwards? It did always look a few mm high when closed.

SOM
    2002 SS

Also a few hours before I went out and noticed it my daughter set off the panic button.. I can bet she didn't miss the hatch button lol. So MAYBE, my daughter hit the hatch button and it lightened the seal on the weatherstrip letting all the pooled water inside..

white
    04 2500 4x4 crew cab

Can somebody else step in and explain this better? I can try in Spanish?

Light Pewter Metallic
    2001 Camaro SS

I had this happen to my car as well. parked at a buddies on a hill nose downwards. it rained and I had water underneath the rear seats. I'm not sure how to explain it any better but make sure you park nose high on a hill and you will never have an issue.

SOM
    2002 SS

Quote Originally Posted by az gt eater View Post
    Can somebody else step in and explain this better? I can try in Spanish?
    What am I missing? I don't quite get what you mean here. If I do .. You are saying that when parked nose down the water can't drain from around the hatch by flowing towards the tail lights and down and out over the bumper no?

Light Pewter Metallic
    2001 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by 5abivt View Post
    What am I missing? I don't quite get what you mean here. If I do .. You are saying that when parked nose down the water can't drain from around the hatch by flowing towards the tail lights and down and out over the bumper no?
    that is what he is saying. that water pools instead until there is too much and runs into the interior.

SOM
    2002 SS

Ok cool I was pretty sure I understood that.

What I am moving on to is why it is only on one side of the interior and how I can possibly prevent it from happening or help it not to happen again. How the water enters is through the seal between the hatch and the rear quarter right? That's the weatherstrip I'm talking about.

Light Pewter Metallic
    2001 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by 5abivt View Post
    Ok cool I was pretty sure I understood that.

What I am moving on to is why it is only on one side of the interior and how I can possibly prevent it from happening or help it not to happen again. How the water enters is through the seal between the hatch and the rear quarter right? That's the weatherstrip I'm talking about.
    i am assuming it was the drivers side because thats the side mine was on. i think az gt eater's point was that you can prevent it my parking the car nose high and you will be without issue.

SOM
    2002 SS

Yeah drivers side. I understand that it can be prevented by doingthat but if my weatherstrip isn't sealing as it should it would bother me. I don't think GM intended the hatch to leak if you are parked on a slight decline. That's why I was just asking if it was possible to lower the rear hatch locking mechanism or if there was a way to shut it tighter etc.

Anyhow I'm all buttoned up and ready to crash for work at 5am :/ thanks for all the help and info much appreciated!!

Thread Information