Sebring Silver
    2000 Z28

What should I do here?

Ok basically since I put my 3.73 gears in, my car is piss slow at 0 to 25 mph. Not because of anything mechanical, but because my damn tires wont stay planted at ALL. I cant go quarter throttle without spinning. If I try to take off fast at all, it sits and spins. I tried lowering the psi to 20 last night, warmed them up, and still nothing. The tires are brand new dayton daytona's so thats not the problem. Anyone have any suggestions on keeping these damn things planted, or at the least spinning while pushing me forward, lol. And please dont say D/R's cause thats after the winter. Cant really afford anything right now after putting this damn car together. Im wondering what you guys would do with the stock tires.
    2000 Silver Z28 w/ Sports Appearance Package, P&P TB, FTRA, Direct Flow Lid, Pace Setter LT's, ORY, Flowmaster 80, TCI 3000 Stall, Trans Go Shift Kit, Computer Tune, Richmond 3.73's, Bilstein suspension, Edelbrock torque arm, UMI Suspension bars, drilled and slotted rotors.

2002 Z28 A4 NBM
    Sadly now demodded :(

Driver mod.....

Jetstream Blue Metallic
    2008 Z06 Corvette

What temp. is the asphault? If it's really cold, and I see you're in New York, then you're looking at quite some time before you "hook up"! I read that you heated up the tires, but still.....just a thought.

Sebring Silver
    2000 Z28

yeah it is pretty cold out, Im trying to get the best out of my car before the snow hits. which im surprised hasnt happened yet. anyways, my cars an automatic, so the driver mod isnt very effective there. And Im good at launching, at least I was with the 2.73's.

Slow SS

Black
    2002 Chevy Camaro

being good with 2.73s is going to be a world of difference from being good a 3.73s. Hell most people need practice when going from say 3.43s to 3.73s. You could always try soaking the tires in solvents like kerosene and laquer thinner, that is what my buddy does with his race car, but then you would need new street tires......

j/k, dont soak them, it only works on the track.

Sebring Silver
    2000 Z28

Haha yeah I hear you there. But Ive tried just about every launching technique; Stomping on it, Brake stalling, feathering it (which is too damn slow because anymore will break them too loose), and really low brake stall with feathering it. Nothing seems to be working. What would you guys say is the lowest psi you would run on street tires?

SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

Heating up the tires, especially street tires does not work.

You just need to start out gradual and get into the throttle as you feel the car hooking up. Same thing with a stick car! I got an M6 w/ 4:10's and I can't let the clutch out and stomp on it. It will just spin.

You just need to get to know your car better and suspension mods will help to plant the wheels into the ground!

Bright Rally Red
    2000 Camaro SS #5075 M6

im thinking a 12 bolt and some slicks

Edit- sorry didnt read your whole post...since your on a budget I dunno

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

If those are 18 or 19 inch Y2Ks I see in the picture, they aren't good for hooking up.

Blog Entries

09 EclipseGT 75 Chevy 4x4
    2001 Trans-Am 13 F-XT

I know your not going to want to hear it, but it doesn't sound like your tires are working to great. What size are you running? I couldn't find a decent size that would give you good grip with anything other than 17" tires and yours look bigger than that.

Sebring Silver
    2000 Z28

Im just running 17's in the rear and the front.

Blog Entries

09 EclipseGT 75 Chevy 4x4
    2001 Trans-Am 13 F-XT

Do you have the 275/40/17?

Black
    2002 Camaro B4C

I have a similar setup and I found that the brand of tires do make a difference. I have a B4C Camaro setup by Florida Highway patrol and with the z rated goodyears they don't break loose until full throttle. I changed to a new tire and they break loose all over the place.

Life in the Fast lane sunsetorangess's Avatar

Met. Sunset Orange
    01 SS

Might wanna consider some new rubber, Persoanly i went through Drag radials and a few sets of street tires trying to find something that would hook. At the track i ended up going with Mt slicks and on the street, i got some fuzions.
    J
    2001 SS, Its not the car its the Driver that matters....

Thread Information