Voters
343. You may not vote on this poll
  • 99 FRC Corvette

176 51.31%
  • 01 SS Camaro

167 48.69%
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910 LastLast

What should I do... 01 SS or 99 Vette?

This is a discussion on What should I do... 01 SS or 99 Vette? within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; I have both an 01 Z06 and a 98 Z28. I admit the z28 is a fun car but it ...

BLack
    1996 C5

I have both an 01 Z06 and a 98 Z28. I admit the z28 is a fun car but it no vette. I've had 4 C5's including the Z06. Before that I had a 400rwhp 97 coupe. The vette outperforms the F-body in every way out of the box in speed,brakes and handling. . If you want to build a fast straight line car buy a F-body. Mod's are ton's cheaper.

If you can pick up a clean F-body under 14k then great get one most of the vettes are pretty rough at that price range especailly if you want an M6. There is no way I would pay $20K + for an f-body there are alot of nice C5's for that price. The vette will hold it's value much more then the F-body also.

With that said I picked up this 98 Z28 for my daily driver and couldn't be more happy. Great look nice power and good MPG.

Silver
    2002 Z28

First off you shouldnt be buying an LS1 car if you need to tow something lol, definately get the vette... if you say its cheaper insurance and around the same price, its definately a step up. It will be faster too, especially with a few mods. but if you are looking for something that will hold its value, dont buy an american car

Black
    '05 Ninja ZX-10R

I just read through 5 pages of this pissing match before I got sick of it. Vettes vs Camaros, Camaros vs Vettes....

When are people going to realize that all cars are equally inferior to zx-10rs?

Blue
    1999 WH Holden Statesman

Dude no contest you gotta go 69' Split Window.

Navy Blue Metallic
    '99 T/A WS6 M6

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by WHPhantom View Post
    Dude no contest you gotta go 69' Split Window.
    NO SUCH CAR..........1963 Corvette Split Rear Window....
    99 WS6 M6 NBM !Cags,!Cats,Vinci/Crane,Hurst,Detroit TruTrac,3:73,31 Splne,Edel.Race LT's,ORY,QTEC,Flow,ARP,Percy,MSD,SLP,AC/DELCO,Bosch,GMPP,Cntrfrce DF,Htchkiss,Susp.Tech,Lakewood,285's,Bilstein,Pro-kit,SLP,RK Sprt,A/Meter,Red Optima,Magnaflow S/S Tips,Hd Pins,Tint,Fire.Ex,[*4 Hot Rod Power Tours*]

Silver
    1998 camaro z28

I'm in the same situation. But my financial situation has come to this conclusion. I can buy a ls1 camaro z28/ss and modify it fairly well with the diffrence in cost. OR i can buy a nice used c5 corvette with low miles for about 25,000. The camaro would be able to be built to a road warrior daily driver, and the corvette would pretty much stay stock.

The cars have totally diffrent stylings. I love hte aggressive look of the 98-2002 camaro's, (that's why i got one.) But you have to love the supercar styling of the c5.

to me when choosing between the two cars, it has to do with what type of "respect" your looking for. you'll certainly get some type of respect when pulling up against a stock mustang gt, then letting them hear the turbocharger spool up. But i've given the same respect to a NEON who stuck right with me on the highway with 4 people in the car.

But no matter how much money you spend on a camaro, it will always be a camaro in other's eyes. A corvette will get more looks and respect from what i would say the general public.

and example of this would be the hot new chick you just went out with going to her friends saying either, "and he drives a camaro" or " he drives a corvette." we all know which one people are going to say "OH REALLY?" about.

Both cars are beautiful and fast. I personally think the biggest problem is looking down deep into your heart and think about which route your going for. This is ofcourse all based on the fact that not many of us are made of money like myself and have to set limitations on our cash flow

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

I see Vette's everday. Does nothing for me. When I see a TA or an SS my blood starts goin. I vote F bod ftw.

Silver
    1998 camaro z28

Quote Originally Posted by BitViper View Post
    The vette of course..but the insurance at 19 will kill you...for that matter..the insurance for a SS wont be small either....

Have fun!
    i'm 25, and my insurance is only 2 dollars diffrent between a ls1 camaro and an ls1 corvette.

I bought my 98 vette for just under 20k w/ 75,000 miles on it. Insurance on a vette isnt that bad, even with myself living in california and having 3 points on my record. in total i pay 500 a month for car payment and insurance. Im 21. I would ahve to say a vette is far superior in handling compared to the camaro. Power wise they are the same ie (ss/c5) Mods are much cheaper for a camaro then a vette its an absolute joke how much shit cost for these cars. my brake pads for the front only from chevy cost 200 bucks and totaled almost 400 just for a front brake job.But in looks and styling and knowing your driving a vette at the young age u are is an awsome feeling. I get old men giving me looks everyday like why in the hell im i in that car. everyone in cali owns a damn camaro but i dont see alot of ws6 around and i like those better then the camaro. Really think about this decision first. But i say vette if u can get them for around the same price.

U. S And A Greatest country in all of world

Stock
    2002 Camaro

as long as it's not a Mustang.............. corvette and camaro both great cars. it's all about what you want.

Limited Edition #1242
    2002 Camaro SS LE

If you're going to buy the 01 SS I would recommend, depending on how much you plan to spend, opt for an 02 SS LE. There is a no reserve bein sold on E-bay now. They will run you between $20k and $28k. But, it will, again, depend upon your wallet. It's a good investment...and a great machine!

My other car is a cop car

White
    1998 T/A

I've owned both, Fbody is more pratical if you are racing it. If you commuting then, Vette
    Good Luck with your decission.

Silver
    2002 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by 332camarob4c View Post
    I've owned both, Fbody is more pratical if you are racing it. If you commuting then, Vette
    Good Luck with your decission.
    How did you come up with that, just wondering. I would think the Camaro, having 4 seats and more cargo room would be more practical. They are both RWD, bad gas, dont see why the vette is a better commuter.

navy blue
    2002 Z-28 Camaro M6

Quote Originally Posted by jmhvenom View Post
    How did you come up with that, just wondering. I would think the Camaro, having 4 seats and more cargo room would be more practical. They are both RWD, bad gas, dont see why the vette is a better commuter.
    Bad gas? Mileage-my 02 gets over 30 mpg on straight highway-16-17 around city.

1 BAD ASS BOWTIE StangKiller615's Avatar

Black on Black
    2001 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by Rhino21149 View Post
    I am really surprised at the reactions and responses this generates. WOW, people are touchy and I guess there are a lot of rose-colored glasses out there.
    But I will stock to my guns (I own and love both a vette and an F-body so I think I both know the facts and can be objective:

- F-bodys do not handle well. They CORNER well, but that is not the same thing: put big enough rubber on a wide car with a low center of gravity and a solid axle and it will stock like glue on smooth sweeping turns. But F-bodies don't change direction well, and they do not have a linear, communicative, and nimble turn in combined with a small polor moment of interia -- things needed for good handling like a vette or a Prosche. A Vette will out corner an F-body (or a Prosche for that matter, and handles nearly as well (I have a 2004 Carrera, too, so I know this, too). The biggest difference I notice in handling between them is that our Camaro is a real handful to keep pointed in a straight line when launching hard compared to the Vette, which is just point and shoot (both run drag radials, and both can do mid 10s, so its a valid comparison).

- F-bodies weigh more than Vettes. By 5%-10%. The factory says so and I've weighed them from time to time (stock ours differed by 8.3%). that makes a difference. More difficult to measure but more important- the F-body has a pretty poor polar moment of intertia - the vette's weight is near center so it can change direction much more quickly.

- Finally, vettes are faster, period. Winning a street race or two proves nothing. With few exceptions, in any year since the F-body was produced, the slowest production vette offered by GM was faster in just about any way you would want to measure it than the fastest Camaro or Firebird they offered (Yeah, I know the exceptions, too: e.g., ain 1970 a 300 Hp base AT vette vs. a SD455 Firebird -- would not have been close etc.), but certainly since '95, I can think of no exceptions.
    Thats because F-bodys are straight line drag racers, they were not built for road courses. Muscle car's are dragsters, the Vette is not actually considered a muscle car. So I dont understand why everyone is talking about the F-bodys handling. The vette belongs in the Porshe class. If you compare prices of the F-body and vette, you can take that extra money drop it into the F-bod, and walk that vette dry. You get the most bang for your buck out of the F-body.

Black
    1999 Corvette

Where heres my opinion, i actually have a 99 corvette, and i am in the process of trying to get a Ws6. My car has a lot of miles, and i can get the same engine in the wS6 with have the miles for the same price.....

RED
    2002 Blackbird

Neither.... get a WS6

Blue/Yellow/White
    95 T/A 383

My honest opinion here is, go with whatever fits your style. I would pick an SS/WS6 over a 'Vette any day of the week. But I love huge power, good cornering, and mean look.

I like rolling up in a thundering powerhouse with people pointing fingers at me, with my paintjob it happens every day. I like it when people say "is that a Camaro?" when it's a T/A. It surprises everybody, and I love it. If people question how fast my "CAMARO" is, I take them for a ride, and then they have a new found respect for T/A. Instilling that respect adds a whole new dimension to the situation in my eyes.

Just my .02

Silver, Black
    03 Viper, 05 Escalade

i cant believe this thread is still living...he hasnt posted in like a year lol

Compulsive F bomb dropper sgt0704's Avatar

silver
    1998 Z28

The real question is, what did he fucken buy?

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910 LastLast

Thread Information