Voters
343. You may not vote on this poll
  • 99 FRC Corvette

176 51.31%
  • 01 SS Camaro

167 48.69%
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast

What should I do... 01 SS or 99 Vette?

This is a discussion on What should I do... 01 SS or 99 Vette? within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; If you only live to be 64-then 32 is middle aged. I honestly didn't want a Vette when I was ...

navy blue
    2002 Z-28 Camaro M6

If you only live to be 64-then 32 is middle aged. I honestly didn't want a Vette when I was 20-I wanted a Camaro. I think it all comes down to what do you want--there is no one answer to this that will fit every person.

Evr sena bdgr killa snak? Roastem's Avatar

Pewter
    '99 Z28 M6

Quote Originally Posted by texfire
    THE VETTE GETS 'EM WET!!!!!!
    Can't go wrong with a vette, fastest and best looking by FAR...!!!
    Money no object, I would have gotten the Vette, just because its a Vette. However, when is money not going to be an object? This is the real world by the way.

My car cost 8 grand with the first set of mods in my sig and 85000 miles
    $1500 for rims and tires
    intake $400 (install myself), cam $360 (install myself), springs and Ti retainers $200 (install was $350)

That rounds out to $10810, and NO PAYMENTS!!!

Cheapest I saw a HIGH mileage 97 Vette was $15000.

That leaves $4190 before I even get to the Vette mark, and guess what, I got 372 tire smokin HP at the wheels to boot?

It looks wicked, it sounds wicked, and it is wicked.

ANYBODY HERE LIKE GOING FAST AND SAVING MONEY?
    Heads 'n Cammed, Moser 12, 3.73's, Weight Reduction, 13" Brembo Kit
    BMR track suspension, full exhaust, the works...
    412whp/394wtq 1/4 mile slip coming soon!
    Gone: '01 Laser Red Cobra 3.73's/Full Bolt-ons

Pewter
    '99 Z28 M6

Quote Originally Posted by Capster78
    Ill stick to my TA. I enjoy the look on the faces of unsuspecting corvette owners when a POS Trans Am puts a few cars on them right infront of their girlfriends.

I love blowing the doors off superexpensive cars!

navy blue
    2002 Z-28 Camaro M6

The Camaro vote is picking back up--GO CAMARO!!!!!!!!!!

black
    2002 corvette coupe

I'm married and let me tell you fellas, when I go to the mall and cruise by the front door or pull up to the bank, OR, THE BEST REASON OF ALL, is that at least three times I have passed the police/state trooper at more than 10 over with them sitting and waiting and they f^&*ing waved!! I guess they like the car so much and wish they had one, they just dreamily stare and sigh. The vette gets more respect from the general public. On the other hand, if I was trying to build a street monster, I' definately go with the T/A or Camaro, bc they after market is cheaper and the car has a meaner, more sinister appeal to it, while the vette seams more regal and pimp.

I'm leaving my vette mostly stock, save intake, exhaust and maybe programmer. It's a vette, it doesn't need to prove itself (in the eyes of the general public).

If I had the other above cars, I would mod the hell out of it, rims, front fascia lip, turbo maybe(god what a beast that would be, I love boost), it would be seriously mean.

The vette is above being super street aggressive, in the same way as a ferrari is only to a lesser extent. I am a father now and I pass people (usually anyway ahem) in fourth and not third. I will take him to school and all the kids will oh and ah (they would at the ss or ta too though), and not ever drive my vette super fast. I 've been at 150 once and 140 20 times and all the speeds under that ALOT. So most of my speeding is done, hence the vette, if I had the other car. its would be blowing-off, barely idling, snorting plumes of nos, black, black, black rims with silver lips and wear my ballcap backwards
    shit i want both

end/rant

Silver, Black
    03 Viper, 05 Escalade

i wish old mason would tell us what happened...

SleeperZ28
    My Budy just got a 01 corvette and I was about to dump my 01 Z28 to get one too, the when I came back to earth I realized that, Yes Vettes are reall cool, and being a young adult with a Vette is not very common, but there's no back seat, no spare (run flats are quite expensive I might add) much lower to the ground, so prepare to go sideways to get into some driveways and parking lots. But its a Vette. I could be 10 different colors, blad tires smoking like a chimney, but its still a Vette. That being said I'm still keeping my camaro, and I plan on making him look stupid after a fed mods are done to my car. And I far as towing, I have a hitch on my camaro never had a problem, and he's getting one hitch on his Vette.

Black
    2002 Camaro SS

So what did he get? POst some pics of the car thread starter
    2002 Camaro SS:
    383 Stroker Motor From DSE - 445HP
    Tremec T-6
    Moser Rear End - 373's
    A lot more, but wont Fit

Red
    2000 Camaro SS

Not talking shit, but I get at least 100 stares a day in my Camaro SS, even had the Texas Highway Patrol do a complete 360 around my car while driving 10 mph over the speed limit, nod at me and take the next exit. If I could afford a new Vette I'd buy one but I aint got no complaints.

Black
    2002 Camaro SS

before I did all the work to my car I was going to trade it in for a WS6 and do this work to one of them. If you look at an SS and then a WS6....well IMO the trans am looks much better, and looks much meaner.

torch red
    1997 corvette coupe

Vette or Camaro???

I looked around for a couple of years for some type of fun car that I really didn't need, but wanted. I would have bought a C5 Vette, Camaro, Firebird or an older Grandnational. I found an unbelievable deal on a 97 Torch red a4 vette with 11K original miles in flawless condition, so I bought it. (For $13,500). There are deals around if you look and wait for them. I'm extremely happy with the vette, it's fast, quick and a real nice vehicle all around. If you are looking to keep the vehicle near stock like I am, then you can't go wrong with either vehicle BUT the vette is the one everything compares itself to. If you are looking to get into mods, the f body will be cheaper to mod than a vette. Anybody that runs a stock vehicle that runs with or beats a vette has a hell of a ride because the LS1 is wicked. I have a 3.15 "performance" axle in mine and run low 13's on the run flats, just stab the throttle and go. Z06's are insane for a stocker. I would have been happy with the other vehicles, but I'm glad I found the vette. Chuck.

Silver
    1999 Corvette

13500 wow, how did that happen?

torch red
    1997 corvette coupe

Vette or Camaro

That was the price the dealer offered for a trade in on a new C6 vert.I had first dibs from the owner. Fortunately she wanted the car to go to a private owner that really wanted it and would treat it right. ( I guess that is a vette thing-some owners get overly attached!) This car had never seen a rain drop according to the original owner.This deal was part two of what is shaping up to be a good year. It started with a paid 7 day trip to Maui.Chuck

Hugger Orange/W stripes
    1999 Z28 M6

The driver is what matters

Quote Originally Posted by Mason 71
    I have been wanting an ls1 for school for a long time now. I am about to have enough money for one. I have looked into a camaro and I am pretty sure I want an 01 SS, and after looking into a corvette, a 99 FRC would be what I would get if I didn't get a camaro. I want to have somthing I can mod and have a good return on its value. Which one would have greater depreciation in value? Oh and I found out that the insurance is cheaper for the corvette than the camaro. So, what should I do? I drive to and from school every two weeks, its about 40 miles one way. Thanks

Mason 71,

You're twenty so this might not mean much coming from a (about to be) forty-one year old.

I like both cars. The Z28 (not an SS, but it has the hood) I just bought was available. I think the performance difference between an F-body and a 'vette is close enough that the driver is what matters. The parts situation is completely in favor of the F-body too. Corvettes are the Chevrolet flagship for performance cars. No disputing that.

Here is the one thing a 'vette can't do for me. I took my T-tops off and had my wife and two kids (6 and 10) in the car taking a little jaunt around the area at LEGAL speeds. The kids were having a blast, and as a father, that is a PRICELESS thing. No 'vette allows that. You and one other can have a blast in a 'vette, but not the whole family. I doubt you have a family yet so you may be happy with a two-seater. If that's what matters to you - and you have the means - go with the 'vette.

I'm also a cop, so I try to drive with some sense. There is something to be said about cruising at 5-10 over and letting little snobs pass you at high speeds KNOWING you could both blow their doors off AND lock their little stupid asses up. There's a big difference between controlled and stupid driving styles. Stupid kills people....innocent people, and that is unacceptable.

Cops, troopers will always eye sports cars. NC SHP used the Camaros and I know enough of them to tell you that they are missing the F-body cruisers since all (or most all) of them are phased out now. Even the 5.0 Mustangs (the FIRST real Hi Perf patrol cars used) in the 80's used by SHP did not get the respect of the Camaros. Most LEO's (Law Enforcement Officers) have an appreciation for performance cars. Many also have very good driver's training and proficiency. Remember, patrol guys make a LIVING driving cars. Yeah, I agree, some LEO's can be jerks, but the majority are good people and when they see someone driving a nice, high-performance car with some restraint and respect, they acknowledge it. You are getting mutual respect from them when they wave and/or nod. Most Crown Vics are done at 130mph, but there aren't many people who have 175mph cars who will successfully get away from a good LEO in real life situations.

Sorry, I'm not trying to go off on a tangent, but I wanted you to know that either an SS or a 'vette will only be as good as YOU make it.

I went for an F-body. Now you know why.

Good luck with your choice,

John
    Last edited by jad628; 05-03-2006 at 10:55 AM.

Pewter
    '99 Z28 M6

Quote Originally Posted by GatorSS View Post
    IMHO = In My Humble Opinion
    I thought it was In My Honest Opinion.

Pewter
    '99 Z28 M6

Quote Originally Posted by Rhino21149 View Post
    It handles well for a 3600 lb car
    Actually, it is about 3450 or so. But a Vette is about 3150 or so. 300 lb diff, that is a real fat ass passenger.

Pewter
    '99 Z28 M6

Quote Originally Posted by TGrits10 View Post
    the flip-down back seats
    Well pinch my nuts and call me stupid, I didn't know those seats folded down.

navy blue
    2002 Z-28 Camaro M6

IMHO = In My Humble Opinion It's an attempt at deflecting testosterone driven typing fits by P.O.d Camaro drivers. Kind of what happened at the first part of this thread. Yes -I am guilty of that. I have learned a little about restraining my self and trying harder to understand what others are saying on these forums. The reason I bring this up was to point out that Mason hasn't posted anything since the original beginnings of this never dying thread. It could be because of the out of control arguments that erupted over this. I hope not........... I wanted to thank jad628 for his priceless inside info into the highway patrol --kudos man!

"Arguing on the internet is like competing in the special olympics. Win or lose your're still retarded."

I'm 25 and I have the financial means to buy a new Vette if I really wanted, but I don't want a Vette. Maybe when I'm 50 I'll buy one, but right now I wanted a fast intimidating car, so I bought a '01 WS6. I love it and do not regret my purchase at all. The Vette is sweet car, I mean there's a reason they can cost $60,000 plus out of the factory, but the Fbody is a wonderful thing to set your eyes upon. IMO test drive them, find which one you like, and once it's yours, you can do anything to it you want.
    Last edited by marcgo2; 06-24-2006 at 02:19 PM.

navy blue
    2002 Z-28 Camaro M6

"Arguing on the internet is like competing in the special olympics. Win or lose your're still retarded." good one-haha just looking at the voting-dead tied up-I don't think there is any one right answer for this question.

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast

Thread Information