343. You may not vote on this poll
  • 99 FRC Corvette

176 51.31%
  • 01 SS Camaro

167 48.69%
Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast
    Mason 71

What should I do... 01 SS or 99 Vette?

I have been wanting an ls1 for school for a long time now. I am about to have enough money for one. I have looked into a camaro and I am pretty sure I want an 01 SS, and after looking into a corvette, a 99 FRC would be what I would get if I didn't get a camaro. I want to have somthing I can mod and have a good return on its value. Which one would have greater depreciation in value? Oh and I found out that the insurance is cheaper for the corvette than the camaro. So, what should I do? I drive to and from school every two weeks, its about 40 miles one way. Thanks

Yellow
    ZO6 Corvette

The vette of course..but the insurance at 19 will kill you...for that matter..the insurance for a SS wont be small either....

Have fun!

Rhino21149
    I'd get the vette, but of course they are very different cars. Have owned both (actually, still own both - a 98 Z28 and an 02 ZO6).

The Camaro is much more practical. You can take a couple of extra buddies along if you have to. It has a hatchback -- I was always impressed that i could use my Z28 to haul home the Christmas tree every year -- its huge back there.

And meaning no offense to anyone, but F-bodies are sort of pigs otherwise: other than the fact that they are a container for maybe the greatest street engine ever built (i really mean this) their only redeeming quality they have is their great looks. Handling is not that good, build quality is only so-so, and they are very big for the actual interior size (match back and Xmas trees not withstanding.

By contrast the vette has room for only two, carries little in the way of serious of bulky luggage, but it is lighter (will get better fuel economy, too), handles infinately better, and has much better class. frc or not, its still a vette, and you see far fewer of them around than Camaros.

NBM
    98 Z

I should slap you for asking this question. In fact i will

I've owned/flogged/modded/RRed/cruised/etc. both.
    Vette = all-around high-quality sports car
    Fbody = piece of absolute garbage with great engine

EDIT: Regarding Rhino's comments on cargo space:
    Vette: Surprisingly large cargo area, but no back seat, and nothing to keep objects from sliding around back there.
    Fbody: cramped, awkwardly-shaped cargo area, but combined with hatch and folding back seat, quite cavernous when needed.
    Last edited by TGrits10; 09-29-2005 at 10:27 AM.

Light Pewter Metallic
    2000 Camaro SS M6

You left off the most important piece of information: price. If they are the same price, I'd buy the 'Vette. Obviously, other issues that may be involved would also factor into the decision. In addition to what has already been mentioned, do you ever plan on towing something, like a small boat, motor & trailer (or something for extra cargo space since you're going back and forth to school)? With the 'Vette, you would not be able to do any towing.

While I agree that the 'Vette is an "all-around high-quality sports car," I certainly do not agree that the Fbody is a "piece of absolute garbage with great engine." Far from it, IMHO.

NBM
    98 Z

Quote Originally Posted by GatorSS
    You left off the most important piece of information: price. If they are the same price, I'd buy the 'Vette. Obviously, other issues that may be involved would also factor into the decision. In addition to what has already been mentioned, do you ever plan on towing something, like a small boat, motor & trailer (or something for extra cargo space since you're going back and forth to school)? With the 'Vette, you would not be able to do any towing.

While I agree that the 'Vette is an "all-around high-quality sports car," I certainly do not agree that the Fbody is a "piece of absolute garbage with great engine." Far from it, IMHO.
    Many a vette has been fitted with a small tow hitch for waverunners, tire trailers, and the like. You won't be able to tow a boat, but some things are doable.

And IMHO, anyone who doesn't see the Fbody for what it is (POS/great engine) needs to remove the rose-colored glasses. It's a fast/fun car, but that's all it is.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

GAWD DAMMIT....FRICKING BOARD CRASHING....OK ...
    I just typed out a Gone with the Wind response full of links etc...and I do not wish to repeat the effort just to see "Server Busy"....and everything lost again...
    Vette*Fbody/Resale value=Vette

Black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

Get the SS, its faster.
    ┌∩┐(◕_◕)┌∩┐

Man: The Mods you are fighting,
    they are the biggest Men I have ever seen. I
    wouldn't want to fight them!

Me: That is why no one will remember your name!

Black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

POS with great engine, I need what you are smoken Then why do you own one. Engine=Awesome Tranny=Awesome Apperance=Awesome and Aggresive. Every car has its ups and downs but to call is a POS is pure........just weird.

f**k fords die dodges

black
    2001 pontiac transam

i have a ta but i owned a 99 vette and i think the vette is better depending on the model it might not be as quick but its still a better car. and all your buddies cant ask for a ride cause you can always get a girl to ride with you and theres no room for them. but make sure which ever one you get you will be satisfied with. by the way what does IMHO mean

TNT
    Who cares about cargo space and which is faster. If the BIOTCH is in the Vette with you and you lose you can tell her you let the SS win and she'll buy it but if it was the other way around the BIOTCH will laugh at you and give you that, "yeah right" look.

GO VETTE

Black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

Alot of women I know like a WS6 or SS better, they are rarer to see on the road then a fucking base model vette. I see at least 8 vettes a day compared to 1 or 2 sightings of a WS6 or SS a week. In fact I am averageing about 1 SS a month, and about 1 WS6 a week. Plus forget the women part, you don't want a bitch that just cares, or likes you for your car. Or you can scrap the hole idea and save for a Z06 old or new

NBM
    98 Z

Quote Originally Posted by blackSS01
    POS with great engine, I need what you are smoken Then why do you own one. Engine=Awesome Tranny=Awesome Apperance=Awesome and Aggresive. Every car has its ups and downs but to call is a POS is pure........just weird.
    I own one because it's the fastest, funnest car I can afford at this time. Rest assured the moment I can afford to, I'll upgrade.

OK it looks good and has a great engine and tranny. It's also has the chassis rigidity of a 1982 z28. And that's the beginning of the long list of weaknesses. I mean c'mon power windows, ergonomics, stock suspension, to name a few. It was designed to be a cheap car with a big engine, and that's what it is, even today 20 years after it was designed.

Black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

Yes window motors suck, rear end sucks. Thats about all the problems I can think of. I don't know what your talking about with suspension. I can take crazy corners all day and not have a problem. It isn't the nicest ride, but its a muscle car, it isn't suppose to ride like a lincoln or caddy. I have owned a 1982 TA, 1983 Camaro, 1984 Camaro and my car doesn't feel anything like them.

Rhino21149
    Quote Originally Posted by TGrits10
    . . . anyone who doesn't see the Fbody for what it is (POS/great engine) needs to remove the rose-colored glasses. It's a fast/fun car, but that's all it is . . .

You are so right. I love 'em but I know them for what they are . . .

But the Ls engine? Maybe the greatest use of metal ever created.

NBM
    98 Z

Quote Originally Posted by Rhino21149
    You are so right. I love 'em but I know them for what they are . . .

But the Ls engine? Maybe the greatest use of metal ever created.

LS-series

Black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

Light Pewter Metallic
    2000 Camaro SS M6

Quote Originally Posted by smurf69
    i have a ta but i owned a 99 vette and i think the vette is better depending on the model it might not be as quick but its still a better car. and all your buddies cant ask for a ride cause you can always get a girl to ride with you and theres no room for them. but make sure which ever one you get you will be satisfied with. by the way what does IMHO mean
    IMHO = In My Humble Opinion

navy blue
    2002 Z-28 Camaro M6

Quote Originally Posted by Rhino21149
    I'd get the vette, but of course they are very different cars. Have owned both (actually, still own both - a 98 Z28 and an 02 ZO6).

The Camaro is much more practical. You can take a couple of extra buddies along if you have to. It has a hatchback -- I was always impressed that i could use my Z28 to haul home the Christmas tree every year -- its huge back there.

And meaning no offense to anyone, but F-bodies are sort of pigs otherwise: other than the fact that they are a container for maybe the greatest street engine ever built (i really mean this) their only redeeming quality they have is their great looks. Handling is not that good, build quality is only so-so, and they are very big for the actual interior size (match back and Xmas trees not withstanding.

By contrast the vette has room for only two, carries little in the way of serious of bulky luggage, but it is lighter (will get better fuel economy, too), handles infinately better, and has much better class. frc or not, its still a vette, and you see far fewer of them around than Camaros.
    Handling is not that good??? You need to watch the SCCA Mid-Ohio runoffs-will be coming up in the next couple of months.The Camaros and Firebirds were out handling and out powering BMWs and Porsches and the Mustangs weren't even a factor.This year though may be the year of the 350Z track edition-last year the Cadillacs were coming on strong-but this is years after the Camaro stopped production.The Camaro weighed the same as the regular Corvettes-so who you callin a pig?It was a damn good car at an affordable price-some of us can't afford a Corvette.I bought two Camaros new(98 and 02)and never had any build quality issues with either car.I'm keeping my 02-you can sell your "slummin" Camaro to somebody who can appreciate it.

Light Pewter Metallic
    2000 Camaro SS M6

Quote Originally Posted by TGrits10
    Many a vette has been fitted with a small tow hitch for waverunners, tire trailers, and the like. You won't be able to tow a boat, but some things are doable.

And IMHO, anyone who doesn't see the Fbody for what it is (POS/great engine) needs to remove the rose-colored glasses. It's a fast/fun car, but that's all it is.
    Yes, I know many older 'Vettes have been fitted with a small hitch, but I hadn't seen a C5 with one. I checked with a hitch shop and they do make one for the C5. So, I stand corrected on the towing issue.

As far as the Fbody being a "POS/great engine" and that all those opposing that opinion must be looking through rose colored glasses, I think it's more appropriate for you to put the bong down and go ahead and exhale. A cheaper car compared to the Corvette, yes, but a POS? C'mon, that's way too extreme.

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information