Voters
343. You may not vote on this poll
  • 99 FRC Corvette

176 51.31%
  • 01 SS Camaro

167 48.69%
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

What should I do... 01 SS or 99 Vette?

This is a discussion on What should I do... 01 SS or 99 Vette? within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; the isn't anything wrong with the quality of a camaro my brother has owned about 15 camaros from 67 to ...

sixstringsandharleys
    the isn't anything wrong with the quality of a camaro my brother has owned about 15 camaros from 67 to 02 and he has enjoyed everyone of them and is always looking for another one. i guess if you think chevy does such a bad job why don't you go buy a ford and be really disappionted

Ws6ramair
    You may have gotten the wrong guy. In my opinion GM rules, I do have a WS6 TA. I love my car to death, however, the fact is, Vettes ride better than F Bodies. Not the F Bodies ride bad, Vettes just ride better. You know, that hole independent rear suspension vs. solid axle deal.

Black
    99 SS

oh i forgot the SSR, but that thing pretty dropped off the face of the earth didnt it?

Quote Originally Posted by Zboner
    oh i forgot the SSR, but that thing pretty dropped off the face of the earth didnt it?
    lol, yeah. Yet another GM failure.

Modding is an Addiction bww3588's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by _JB_
    lol, yeah. Yet another GM failure.
    its a sad attempt to bring back the old 53 style truck. too bad its like all the other GM proudcts now that are worth a damn, overpriced.
    Last edited by bww3588; 10-17-2005 at 01:13 PM.

quicky06
    get the ss

yes vettes are great but they cost to much, the insurance costs to much, they are more expensive to take care of jsut because its a vette.

ys the handlings great and its lighter, but unless you have a second car fo a daily driver your goin to hate that vette. you cant fit a damn thing in it. and it gets annoying driving it around all the time. if i could aford it i would get a vette and a f250 with a diesel but i cant so i got a camaro. i would never drive te vette in the winter, or probly not the rain because i would have to get rid of all the horible hard water spots afterwards.

the ss is more bang for the buck in the long run

I just sold my 99 FRC Vette and bought 01 WS6 that has a cam and head package on it and a complete BMR moly suspension with a 12 bolt.3:73.I loved that vette but I think I will get more use out of the WS6.

Hark_Z
    It is very suprising how many people are firm believer's of how the ss's and ws6's are faster than the base vette's. I mean a regular TA or z28 pretty much can/often do dyno just about the same as ss's/ws6's. From what I've seen, vettes typically dyno more than f-bodies, and weigh less.. this just seems silly. I'm not denying that some f-bodies will dyno more from the factory and be faster than vettes but it just seems like a lot of people are coming out and boldy saying that the f-bodies are faster. I just don't see it. Plus it is a given that the vette handles better. I am way more accustomed to riding in f-bodies than vettes so I can't really give too many personal experiences with the ride of a vette, but I have heard more than enough to believe that a vette rides altogether better. I would say generally that an f-body would cost less for insurance and be a more practical daily driver. I love both f-bodies and vettes to death and they are both great cars. I guess it just depends on your income, personal preference, and what you look for in your car.. Me personally, I am completely obsessed with f-bodies and my vote goes for the ss.

NBM
    98 Z

--Vette is faster because it weighs 250lb less, engines tend to make a bit more power but that's cancelled out by the slightly greater losses through the transaxle/IRS setup.

--Ride is a wash, vette doesn't have as much suspension travel (because it sits so low) so it needs to be stiffer, but the frame is SO much stiffer that once again...it pretty much cancels out.

-- Vette cockpit is roomier for the front seats, rear seats obviously don't exist...so fbody wins points for being able to toss crap into the back seat/footwells. The cargo area under the hatch is surprisingly large in the Vette, something like 15 cubic feet without even obstructing rear view, 20+ if you stack to the ceiling. And it's all in one space, not hacked up awkwardly like in the Fbody. From my experience, the Vette is preferable for day-to-day stuff (backpack, duffel bags, shopping bags, golf clubs, other random items), but if you're really cramming it full (heading home for the summer), the Fbody ends up gaining an advantage from the flip-down back seats. If you're tossing in 4 sets of golf clubs, with the Vette you just toss 'em in; in the Fbody you have to put two in the back seats, slide one carefully into the rear well, and squeeze the last one in diagonally on that flat area behind the seats. Just an example.

--Insurance is cheaper on the Vette. Look it up, I'm not lying. Vettes crash less often because they aren't primarily owned by aggressive 20-something-yr-olds (that's us...though I haven't crashed...yet...??).

--Overall, yeah the Fbody probably ends being more bang for the buck, as it's still wicked fast, handles and rides well enough, looks cool, etc....but the extra money for a Vette is eminently worth it, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Hark Z
    I guess it just depends on your income, personal preference, and what you look for in your car...
    --Yeah, but it still amazes me how often people choose the Fbody when the cost isn't a big factor.
    Last edited by TGrits10; 11-06-2005 at 06:21 PM.

Hark_Z
    I'm curious to see what you went with Mason??

What exactly is the magic age gonna be to where the vette gets cheaper for insurance than an f-body?!. I'm 18 and would love to have an early 90's/LT4 vette rather than my '94 z28..

Black
    99 SS

god luck on the LT4 not many out there, and i dont want to know how much they cost

Hark_Z
    I meant LT1 vette, guess I was dreamin LT4.. A lot more for insurance for me? I wanted to know what you guys think, I'm afraid to get a quote..

NBM
    98 Z

Quote Originally Posted by Hark_Z
    I meant LT1 vette, guess I was dreamin LT4.. A lot more for insurance for me? I wanted to know what you guys think, I'm afraid to get a quote..
    Don't be scared, get a quote, you'll be pleasantly surprised. I had just turned 21 and had at least one ticket on my record when I bought the C5; insurance was ~$750/6mos. Though that's likely lower than you'd get because I piggybacked onto my parents' policy. I got a quote from USAA (cheaper insurance for military) and it was like $800/6mos for me, no family/fleet rate or anything. All of this was for Fort Lauderdale, and insurance is usually pretty high in sofla...or any urban area for that matter.

Red
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

i would get a vette. but depends on milage and shape of both cars.

At 19 you probably have many friends and nothing looks dumber than 3 people in a Vette, which WILL happen with a two seater. Buy the SS.

Hark_Z
    I don't wanna get flamed for this but LT1 f-bodies tend to fall apart..and mine has for sure. How are the vettes in terms of quality?? (from someone who has experience)

Black
    99 SS

everything falls apart if you dont take care of it

pewter
    1999 Z28

The two criteria offered by the original poster for our consideration were:1) Depreciation 2) Insurance
    The only right answer: Corvette! what's wrong with you people??!!!

NBM
    98 Z

Quote Originally Posted by ZedTwoEight
    The two criteria offered by the original poster for our consideration were:1) Depreciation 2) Insurance
    The only right answer: Corvette! what's wrong with you people??!!!

Black
    2002 Camaro

Gee... Where do I begine??? Lets start with insurance, There are a couple of loop holes you can look for, I dont know which insurance is cheaper but I can tell you that if you already have something like a beater for a daily driver then you are in great luck. You can list that vehicle as the primary car on your policy and pay not shit for it since its a beater that isnt a sports car, has only 4 or 6 cylinders, and has 4 doors hopefully, then you can list the Vette or Camaro as a pleasure vehicle and your insurance policy for the Camaro or Vette litteraly drops in half. I do this with my Camaro and Silverado. OK.... If I had the money to spend I would definately like to own a Vette while im young, Lets face it if you have the money now to buy a Vette then you should almost always have the money to buy a Camaro, not too many people under the age of 35 can afford a Vette, for this reason I would pick the Vette. If your looking to mod the car of your choice then the F-Body is the winner hands down due to its mass production and popularity of the aftermarket suppliers. You can mod a F-Body in 10X more areas than you could with a Vette and you can do it way cheaper.
    Bottom line is you almost have to put every personal opinion that was stated in this discussion in the trash and realy just look at the facts that were mentioned about the two, After that you need to make your own dicision, You will only be truely happy with what you pick and not what people tell you to pick. That being said... Best of luck to you and hope your happy with what you choose.
    However..... I think if you turn 35 and buy your fist Vette then, You might tell yourself I wish I would have.....

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread Information