View Poll Results: 99 FRC Vette or 01 SS Camaro

Voters
343. You may not vote on this poll
  • 99 FRC Corvette

    176 51.31%
  • 01 SS Camaro

    167 48.69%
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 196

What should I do... 01 SS or 99 Vette?

This is a discussion on What should I do... 01 SS or 99 Vette? within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; 2 really nice cars. just a matter of personal preference i guess. i'll stick with my trans am....

  1. #41
    Junior Member dotcom2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    california
    Age
    63
    Posts
    98

    silver
    1999 trans am

    2 really nice cars. just a matter of personal preference i guess. i'll stick with my trans am.

  2. #42
    Modding is an Addiction bww3588's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Chillicothe, Ohio
    Age
    28
    Posts
    438
    - F-bodys do not handle well. They CORNER well, but that is not the same thing: put big enough rubber on a wide car with a low center of gravity and a solid axle and it will stock like glue on smooth sweeping turns. But F-bodies don't change direction well, and they do not have a linear, communicative, and nimble turn in combined with a small polor moment of interia -- things needed for good handling like a vette or a Prosche. A Vette will out corner an F-body (or a Prosche for that matter, and handles nearly as well (I have a 2004 Carrera, too, so I know this, too). The biggest difference I notice in handling between them is that our Camaro is a real handful to keep pointed in a straight line when launching hard compared to the Vette, which is just point and shoot (both run drag radials, and both can do mid 10s, so its a valid comparison).
    LCA's SFC's, Panhard bar, and a STB will take care of all that.

  3. #43
    Modding is an Addiction bww3588's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Chillicothe, Ohio
    Age
    28
    Posts
    438
    Quote Originally Posted by dotcom2000
    2 really nice cars. just a matter of personal preference i guess. i'll stick with my trans am.
    IMO, the corvetts are for middle aged men who can finally afford it because they couldnt afford it when they were 20.

  4. #44
    old timer blue02Z's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Texas
    Age
    30
    Posts
    3,805

    Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Z28

    I used to work for a GM dealership and I got to drive corvettes all the time. Compared to my Z I did not like the way that they felt, it was just different. Once we took a 2004 C5 A4 out on the streets when management left. My car was bone stock with the stock Goodyear Gsc's almost bald. I've got 6 speed and we tried a little drag race, i let out of it in 3rd and had at least 2 car lengths on my bud. I love my f-body!
    Just my .02!!

  5. #45
    Rhino21149
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by 02z28ls1
    Wait a minute -you said you were ditching the Camaro- . . .?

    I did? Nope, never get rid of the Camaro. Geez,m it is much too cool. And we have som much in the chassis and engine now. Its just the most marzelously anti-solcial, politically incorrect street car in the world. Nasty, brutal, rough and tough. Handles like a pig, but my God it goes in a straight line. We will get nines out of it, while still a street car, before its over.

  6. #46
    Rhino21149
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by bww3588
    LCA's SFC's, Panhard bar, and a STB will take care of all that.

    No, they'll help. But an independent rear suspension, lose of about 300 pounds, and a reduction in polar moment of intertia will help more.

    Look guys, its a big, heavy, fast car. It handles well for a 3600 lb car, about as well as a Ferrari Maranello (another big, heavy car). But that is NOT good handling: have you ever driven a Lotus Elise? Now there is HANDLING. A vette with various upgrades is almost that good, but not quite.

    Its all relative. The fact that an F-body does not handle as well as really good handling cars is inconsequential: they are good cars. I just don't understand why people want to keep making them what they aren't.

  7. #47
    Senior Member 02z28ls1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    near St. Louis
    Posts
    1,205

    navy blue
    2002 Z-28 Camaro M6

    I said you need to sell that Camaro to some one who will appreciate it-your reply was "I will" and something about when you can afford it.It sounds like you can afford it.Anybody that can afford a C5R-427 Z-06 and a Porsche and a highly modified Camaro can afford alot more than the average Camaro owner.I'm not claiming it's the best handling car in the world-just not poor handling-for the money it handles great.Again -my car lists at 3411 lbs.22 more w/auto.I'm not going to accept your numbers for the Corvette because you've changed your numbers for the Camaro now.Anybody else got numbers?The solid rear axle does have limitations-but it has positives-it weighs less(think GTO vs. Camaro)it's stronger(think drag racers)and it costs less to make(think GTO,Corvette vs. Camaro).It has higher unsprung weight-won't handle the bumps as well but I'm not going offroad with mine anytime soon.The Camaro is in the same class as the Boxster at the SCCA races that I spoke of.Sure they do good at Mid-Ohio but these guys race all over the country and in 03 they overwhelmingly chose F-bodies ,not the Boxster,not the BMW 3 ,and sure as hell not the Mustang.3 years later it will be a different story but it's not fair to compare a 3+year old car in a highly competitive series like that but I'm betting you will still see F-body cars out there.And in closing I would like to point out that I've been home sick with the flu since thursday so no I don't have anything better to do than to rage at perfect strangers.Thank you.--OK last edit-If your Camaro is set-up for 10 sec. runs it's going to compromise handling on the street and the track.I'm talking about a car set-up for the road course.
    Last edited by 02z28ls1; 10-01-2005 at 06:40 PM.

  8. #48
    Rhino21149
    Guest
    Okay pal, whatever you say. Maybe my F-body was the only one that never handled well. And my #s change because we're constantly working on the cars. The vette picked up 8 RWHP today with that trick of moving the crossover point in the H pipe-- would not have believed it if I had not seen it on the dyno. the Camaro jumped up alot this week with new nitrous and some fuel retuning.

    Very interesting though. Nothing really changes. I was a member of LS1.com in '98, right after I got the vette. Even a "senior member" after a while. But I got really tired of it. Too much juvenile street racer BS and a whole bunch of people who would jump all over you unless you admitted their car was the best in the world. Hell, even a vette isn't perfect -far from it in fact. they are just cars, not your ego, guys!!!

    So I'm tired of it again.

    I won't be back.

  9. #49
    Resident F1 Guru TGrits10's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Age
    34
    Posts
    270

    NBM
    98 Z

    Quote Originally Posted by 02z28ls1
    I said you need to sell that Camaro to some one who will appreciate it-your reply was "I will" and something about when you can afford it.
    Um...that was me. I'm a college student.

  10. #50
    Modding is an Addiction bww3588's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Chillicothe, Ohio
    Age
    28
    Posts
    438
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhino21149
    No, they'll help. But an independent rear suspension, lose of about 300 pounds, and a reduction in polar moment of intertia will help more.
    I heard that the IRS will rob more horsepower than a solid rear axle.

  11. #51
    Senior Member 02z28ls1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    near St. Louis
    Posts
    1,205

    navy blue
    2002 Z-28 Camaro M6

    Quote Originally Posted by Rhino21149
    Okay pal, whatever you say. Maybe my F-body was the only one that never handled well. And my #s change because we're constantly working on the cars. The vette picked up 8 RWHP today with that trick of moving the crossover point in the H pipe-- would not have believed it if I had not seen it on the dyno. the Camaro jumped up alot this week with new nitrous and some fuel retuning.

    Very interesting though. Nothing really changes. I was a member of LS1.com in '98, right after I got the vette. Even a "senior member" after a while. But I got really tired of it. Too much juvenile street racer BS and a whole bunch of people who would jump all over you unless you admitted their car was the best in the world. Hell, even a vette isn't perfect -far from it in fact. they are just cars, not your ego, guys!!!

    So I'm tired of it again.

    I won't be back.
    You guys were trying to say Camaros are a POS with a great engine.That's an insult-don't make insults if you don't mean it and don't debate things if you're gonna get insulted yourself.Apparently you did-notice my last post where I said I never meant the Camaro was the best handling....etc. What do you expect to hear from people on a site like this?That we hate our cars?Alot of what you had to say was true-just keep the insults to yourself.You think anybody over at Ferrari.com is saying it's a great engine but a POS body or something-what kinda response do think that's gonna get?Ya go take your bat and your ball and go sulk on home.Seems your ego needs to be checked--pal.

  12. #52
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    159
    I don't want a Vette because they are WAY to common around here. Hell, you will even see them driving in the winter with 6ft of snow. I see at least 5 Vette EVERY day, and maybe 1 LS1 4th gens a week. I have been trying to get a 00-02 TA for about 7 years now. I currently have a great job that I can afford one, and I hate the fact that people always say they are a "POS". I love them in everyway.
    I hate the "Vette mentality" that think their car is superior, which is almost every Vette owner I come accross.
    My dad used to have an orignal 1968 4 speed BB427 (was the second owner, had it for about 12 years), when I was growing up. I liked it alot, and then he sold it about 7 years ago. He says he will never own another Vette again because of their attitudes.

  13. #53
    I don't sell out! blackSS01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    5,558

    Black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

    Quote Originally Posted by 02z28ls1
    You guys were trying to say Camaros are a POS with a great engine.That's an insult-don't make insults if you don't mean it and don't debate things if you're gonna get insulted yourself.Apparently you did-notice my last post where I said I never meant the Camaro was the best handling....etc. What do you expect to hear from people on a site like this?That we hate our cars?Alot of what you had to say was true-just keep the insults to yourself.You think anybody over at Ferrari.com is saying it's a great engine but a POS body or something-what kinda response do think that's gonna get?Ya go take your bat and your ball and go sulk on home.Seems your ego needs to be checked--pal.

    Could not have put it better myself.
    ┌∩┐(◕_◕)┌∩┐

    Man: The Mods you are fighting,
    they are the biggest Men I have ever seen. I
    wouldn't want to fight them!

    Me: That is why no one will remember your name!

  14. #54
    Resident F1 Guru TGrits10's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Age
    34
    Posts
    270

    NBM
    98 Z

    Quote Originally Posted by _JB_
    I hate the "Vette mentality" that think their car is superior, which is almost every Vette owner I come accross.
    But........it IS superior....

  15. #55
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    159
    Quote Originally Posted by TGrits10
    But........it IS superior....
    To the owners, but how does it match up to like a Lamborghini?

  16. #56
    Resident F1 Guru TGrits10's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Age
    34
    Posts
    270

    NBM
    98 Z

    Quote Originally Posted by _JB_
    To the owners, but how does it match up to like a Lamborghini?
    Huh?

    Of course lambos, especially the new ones, kick the crap out of vettes...so the owners can go ahead and think their lambo is superior to a vette...because it is. By the same token, a vette is superior to a Z28...so vette owners can think so without being wrong.

    However, I think what you're talking about is the attitude. A vette is better than a Z28, but that does not mean a vette driver is better than a Z driver, or that a Z is necessarily totally unworthy. Anyone with an expensive sports car is susceptible to that feeling, wrong as it may be.

  17. #57
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    159
    Quote Originally Posted by TGrits10
    Huh?

    Of course lambos, especially the new ones, kick the crap out of vettes...so the owners can go ahead and think their lambo is superior to a vette...because it is. By the same token, a vette is superior to a Z28...so vette owners can think so without being wrong.

    However, I think what you're talking about is the attitude. A vette is better than a Z28, but that does not mean a vette driver is better than a Z driver, or that a Z is necessarily totally unworthy. Anyone with an expensive sports car is susceptible to that feeling, wrong as it may be.
    Yep, totally agree with ya.

  18. #58
    01vette
    Guest
    ok my brother has a 99 f body i got a 01 vette- i drove his car more then a few times - and i can tell you that yea the camaro ss has that bad ass look to it while the vette is more flowing with its looks- but "i" like the looks of the vette better cause even still i look at the car from time to time and say wow what a beautiful car-
    also it just sounds alot better if you say vette then camaro when some one askes you what car you got .- ok other then looks the vettes alot easier to drive ( not as bumpy) and its pretty confy and roomy ( im 6'2 ) - as for racing i beat more then enough ss ws6's and what not to say they are deff not faster stock for stock. and also the power is alot smoother in the vette then the camaro -- im not even gonna get into handling-- and yea vettes insurance is also cheaper - now the camaro is a funn car to drive and all and its still pretty fast but if you could get in a vette go for it-

  19. #59
    01vette
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by _JB_
    I don't want a Vette because they are WAY to common around here. Hell, you will even see them driving in the winter with 6ft of snow. I see at least 5 Vette EVERY day, and maybe 1 LS1 4th gens a week. I have been trying to get a 00-02 TA for about 7 years now. I currently have a great job that I can afford one, and I hate the fact that people always say they are a "POS". I love them in everyway.
    I hate the "Vette mentality" that think their car is superior, which is almost every Vette owner I come accross.
    My dad used to have an orignal 1968 4 speed BB427 (was the second owner, had it for about 12 years), when I was growing up. I liked it alot, and then he sold it about 7 years ago. He says he will never own another Vette again because of their attitudes.
    i cant even count the number of f bodys i see a day - sure they might not be ss or ws6's but theres still f bodys-
    and about the vette atitude it just depends on the people iv met more then enough nice vette owners when i was driving around in the camaro - it just depends on the person you run into. most people just dont know alot about there own cars soo of corse some 40 year old that just bought a vette from the dealer because it looks nice is gonna look down at a camaro or trans am because he has no idea what they have in there and what they can doo.

  20. #60
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Illinois
    Age
    30
    Posts
    22

    Red
    02 Firehawk

    Quote Originally Posted by TGrits10
    I own one because it's the fastest, funnest car I can afford at this time. Rest assured the moment I can afford to, I'll upgrade.

    OK it looks good and has a great engine and tranny. It's also has the chassis rigidity of a 1982 z28. And that's the beginning of the long list of weaknesses. I mean c'mon power windows, ergonomics, stock suspension, to name a few. It was designed to be a cheap car with a big engine, and that's what it is, even today 20 years after it was designed.
    Thats rediculous my car handles extremely well. There is a set of turns by my house with a recommended speed or 25 that i have taken at 70 and i raced a C5 through there and i totally beat him. Not that anything is wrong with a vette cause i do like them but F-bodies are good handleing cars and definately not a POS by anymeans. I have the 02 and had a 96 WS6 before this and i havent had a single problem with either one except for the window motor one time, thats it. Look man which ever you get just make sure you want it because the people posting on this already have their cars and wont be seen in yours so make sure you like the car you buy. SS or Vette both are good cars and either one can be made faster then the other with money. So which ever you chose have fun with it.

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. FS: STS Turbo complete set up ...getting a Vette
    By buldogg in forum Parts For Sale / Trade
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 02-25-2008, 10:02 PM
  2. went vette hunting last night
    By sscrazy in forum Kill Stories
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 10-22-2005, 05:30 AM
  3. FS: 1985 Vette - 66k miles - (West Texas)
    By matler23 in forum Vehicles For Sale / Trade
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 10-04-2005, 07:38 PM
  4. Out of state vette.
    By cstang68 in forum Corvette
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-26-2005, 05:46 PM

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •