Voters
343. You may not vote on this poll
  • 99 FRC Corvette

176 51.31%
  • 01 SS Camaro

167 48.69%
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

What should I do... 01 SS or 99 Vette?

This is a discussion on What should I do... 01 SS or 99 Vette? within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; I've test driven many corvettes and own a 99 ws6. But if you think about a normal SS would cost ...

Black
    02 Z06

I've test driven many corvettes and own a 99 ws6. But if you think about a normal SS would cost somewhere around 15-20k depending on mileage. If you buy a corvette it's going to cost you anywhere from 25k-45k. So if you bought a corvette at it's cheapest and a SS at it's most expensive thats still a huge different. You can do a lot with that $5,000 and think about all the money you would save on insurance. There is no doubt you can surpass the corvette in performance and handling abillity with all the money you will save.

Don't get me wrong a corvette is a very nice vehicle. It's luxurious and has nice ademenitys. But I feel very cramped in them (I'm 6'5) and things are kind of awkwardly placed IMHO. But the targa top is very cool.

in f-bodys its so much more roomier ! It's a lot more mean in my opinon too.

Corvettes are segzy bitches don't get me wrong. I think f-bodys look much more agressive and a lot more esteticly pleaseing.

So IMHO fbody>corvette.

I'm sorry for all the grammer errors and spelling errors. I typed that very quickly.

NBM
    98 Z

Quote Originally Posted by TransAmMan
    If you buy a corvette it's going to cost you anywhere from 25k-45k.
    If you pay more than $20k for a '99 FRC you got ripped off. I'm not up to speed on SS prices, but I have a hard time believing $20k. I believe the point of the thread was that they are about the same price.

NBM
    98 Z

Quote Originally Posted by 02z28ls1

Handling is not that good??? You need to watch the SCCA Mid-Ohio runoffs-will be coming up in the next couple of months.The Camaros and Firebirds were out handling and out powering BMWs and Porsches and the Mustangs weren't even a factor.
    Those cars are not stock. The cars we're talking about in this thread are. If we're talking about handling potential, then fbody has a leg to stand on....but then so does the vette. A camaro will never handle as well as vette, all else equal.

The Camaro weighed the same as the regular Corvettes-so who you callin a pig?
    3500>3250

It was a damn good car at an affordable price-some of us can't afford a Corvette. You can sell your "slummin" Camaro to somebody who can appreciate it.
    replace 'good' with 'fast'
    ...and thank you, I will...as soon I'm financially qualified to consider a camaro slummin...which may not be soon.
    Last edited by TGrits10; 09-29-2005 at 09:45 PM.

Black
    02 Z06

Quote Originally Posted by TGrits10
    If you pay more than $20k for a '99 FRC you got ripped off. I'm not up to speed on SS prices, but I have a hard time believing $20k. I believe the point of the thread was that they are about the same price.
    oh ... if they were the same price. I feel like a idiot haha. 20 k isn't really out of the picture though if it's low mileage. I was saying those prices out of the most extremely situations.
    Last edited by TransAmMan; 09-29-2005 at 07:42 PM.

texfire
    THE VETTE GETS 'EM WET!!!!!!
    Can't go wrong with a vette, fastest and best looking by FAR...!!!

Black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

Quote Originally Posted by texfire
    THE VETTE GETS 'EM WET!!!!!!
    Can't go wrong with a vette, fastest and best looking by FAR...!!!

I have raced a 00 Vette A4/with CAI and stall (not sure how big) I took him with my mods down below minus a few.

I raced a 02 Vette M6/with Catback and CAI, and a Short Throw, we both where retarded and hit rev-limiter in 2nd. I had him by about a car length.

I don't know where you are getting the fastest statement. And in best looks, the F-Body (SS/WS6) look far more aggressive. I do like the Vette, it is a good car, but the more practical approach is the good old F-Body. Can't go wrong with either one, both are made by GM. Buy the F-Body. GM
    ┌∩┐(◕_◕)┌∩┐

Man: The Mods you are fighting,
    they are the biggest Men I have ever seen. I
    wouldn't want to fight them!

Me: That is why no one will remember your name!

Quote Originally Posted by GatorSS
    You left off the most important piece of information: price. If they are the same price, I'd buy the 'Vette. Obviously, other issues that may be involved would also factor into the decision. In addition to what has already been mentioned, do you ever plan on towing something, like a small boat, motor & trailer (or something for extra cargo space since you're going back and forth to school)? With the 'Vette, you would not be able to do any towing.

While I agree that the 'Vette is an "all-around high-quality sports car," I certainly do not agree that the Fbody is a "piece of absolute garbage with great engine." Far from it, IMHO.

seriously........putting a hitch or towing anything with a sports car is just wrong......that is what trucks and beater cars are for.

[ It's luxurious and has nice ademenitys.

Did you mean amenities?

Light Pewter Metallic
    2000 Camaro SS M6

Quote Originally Posted by Liquifire

seriously........putting a hitch or towing anything with a sports car is just wrong......that is what trucks and beater cars are for.
    Yes, it is somewhat funny, since sports cars are not the ideal tow vehicles. But if a car has the ability, and someone doesn't own a truck or beater car, then if they want to tow something within the car's towing capacity, why not? It's their choice. Say, someone who owns an Fbody wants to buy a small boat or a jet ski. Should he also have to buy a truck or beater car and also pay for the extra insurance, etc., when he can just have a hitch put on the car for $150?

A small boat or jet ski properly mounted on a trailer can easily have a tongue weight of less than 50 lbs, well below an Fbody's tongue weight capacity. It can handle it. Hey, it's much less strain on the car than some of the fat chicks I see some guys hauling around in Fbodies and Corvettes.

But, as you state, I prefer to do my towing with a nice GM truck. Save the beater cars to give to the fat chicks.

Rhino21149
    I am really surprised at the reactions and responses this generates. WOW, people are touchy and I guess there are a lot of rose-colored glasses out there.
    But I will stock to my guns (I own and love both a vette and an F-body so I think I both know the facts and can be objective:

- F-bodys do not handle well. They CORNER well, but that is not the same thing: put big enough rubber on a wide car with a low center of gravity and a solid axle and it will stock like glue on smooth sweeping turns. But F-bodies don't change direction well, and they do not have a linear, communicative, and nimble turn in combined with a small polor moment of interia -- things needed for good handling like a vette or a Prosche. A Vette will out corner an F-body (or a Prosche for that matter, and handles nearly as well (I have a 2004 Carrera, too, so I know this, too). The biggest difference I notice in handling between them is that our Camaro is a real handful to keep pointed in a straight line when launching hard compared to the Vette, which is just point and shoot (both run drag radials, and both can do mid 10s, so its a valid comparison).

- F-bodies weigh more than Vettes. By 5%-10%. The factory says so and I've weighed them from time to time (stock ours differed by 8.3%). that makes a difference. More difficult to measure but more important- the F-body has a pretty poor polar moment of intertia - the vette's weight is near center so it can change direction much more quickly.

- Finally, vettes are faster, period. Winning a street race or two proves nothing. With few exceptions, in any year since the F-body was produced, the slowest production vette offered by GM was faster in just about any way you would want to measure it than the fastest Camaro or Firebird they offered (Yeah, I know the exceptions, too: e.g., ain 1970 a 300 Hp base AT vette vs. a SD455 Firebird -- would not have been close etc.), but certainly since '95, I can think of no exceptions.

Black
    02 Z06

ok if your talking about the two I agree. The vette is going to out perform the fbody. But I'm still going to stick with my opinon. By the money you save by getting a fbody you can mod your car and far surpass the performance of a vette.

Rhino21149
    Quote Originally Posted by blackSS01
    I have raced . . . .
    . . . we both where retarded . . . .
    . . . and hit rev-limiter in 2nd. I had him by about a car length . . .
    It's cruel but I just can't pass up the opportunity: if you were street-racing (and it sounds like you were), then I agree: you were both acting like you were retarded.

One car length by the end of 2nd gear could just be the launch. Probably would have been different by the end of 3rd gear.

navy blue
    2002 Z-28 Camaro M6

Quote Originally Posted by TGrits10
    Those cars are not stock. The cars we're talking about in this thread are. If we're talking about handling potential, then fbody has a leg to stand on....but then so does the vette. A camaro will never handle as well as vette, all else equal.

3500>3250

replace 'good' with 'fast'
    ...and thank you, I will...as soon I'm financially qualified to consider a camaro slummin...which may not be soon.
    I'll keep this short an sweet-the SCCA run-offs that I'm talking about are pitting stock vs. stock in the pro touring 1 + 2 classes.The Camaro-Firebirds are in a different class from the Corvettes-which do very well I might add.These cars are regulated to stay very stock-watch the race this year if you don't know what I'm talking about.The Corvettes are in a different class from the Camaros-if you can afford a Corvette and a Camaro you are quite financially qualified-but replacing that Camaro with something comparable performance wise is gonna cost alot more.

Rhino21149
    Quote Originally Posted by 02z28ls1
    I'm talking about are pitting stock vs. stock in the pro touring 1 + 2 classes. . . . These cars are regulated to stay very stock-watch the race this year if you don't know what I'm talking about.
    I'm very familiar with SCCA stock racing since I did it some years ago: well it was long ago (drove an Alfa Romeo Montreal 3 liter V-89, if you know what and when that was) but I keep up with it still. They are stock but not "stock stock:" you can do alot within the rules but they keep it fair with everyone allowed to do the same -- changing bushings, tire selection and set up, and some pretty exteme other things I saw and if you don't you don't win, period. F-bodies do okay partly because they are in a class where they are competitive and partly because, as I said, they naturally do well on smooth, sweeping turn tracks.

I'm really not rying to make this a vette is better than a Camaro thing. But in my mind the vette is faster and slightly better quality than the F-body (although, it i s put to shame by the build quality of a Porsche, for example), and I don't know why people can't admit that - I can and I love them both-- never will get rid of either of mine, whereas the Prosche, good as it is will go in about five years (or sooner if I find the money for a Gallardo).

navy blue
    2002 Z-28 Camaro M6

Quote Originally Posted by Rhino21149
    I'm very familiar with SCCA stock racing since I did it some years ago: well it was long ago (drove an Alfa Romeo Montreal 3 liter V-89, if you know what and when that was) but I keep up with it still. They are stock but not "stock stock:" you can do alot within the rules but they keep it fair with everyone allowed to do the same -- changing bushings, tire selection and set up, and some pretty exteme other things I saw and if you don't you don't win, period. F-bodies do okay partly because they are in a class where they are competitive and partly because, as I said, they naturally do well on smooth, sweeping turn tracks.

I'm really not rying to make this a vette is better than a Camaro thing. But in my mind the vette is faster and slightly better quality than the F-body (although, it i s put to shame by the build quality of a Porsche, for example), and I don't know why people can't admit that - I can and I love them both-- never will get rid of either of mine, whereas the Prosche, good as it is will go in about five years (or sooner if I find the money for a Gallardo).
    Wait a minute -you said you were ditching the Camaro-and I would hope that the Porsche,at least double the cost ,would have better build quality.The Vette is more sophisticated and refined-but you paid for it.My fully loaded 02 Z-28 stickered at $26K and the standard Vette stickered at around $40K-that's alot of difference.Weight for my car is listed at 3411lbs.-don't have the numbers on hand for the Vette but from what I remember there was only about 60 lb. difference for the base Vette-the Z-06 was lighter-and faster and more expensive.What's pissin people off is calling the Camaro a POS and saying your gonna ditch ASAP-sounds like your not saying that now.Yes you are allowed to change certain things on the car in the SCCA races I was referring to -but nothing that changes the basic design of the car.The Camaro leans through the turns alot is one thing that you notice-and the power coming out of the turns is awesome by comparision w/the other cars.The Cadillac CTS-Vs are the latest greatest in this class along with the Nissan 350Z track model-again cars costing alot more than the Camaro.I'm not trading mine in on a Cad anytime soon.So what's my point -the Camaro has the best bang for the buck-take the money you save and put it into go-fast goodies and a girlfriend or two and your life will be better. edit-I just remembered the guys name -Thomas Oates-from the race in 02 I believe-spun in the first turn and then went on to lap the field the rest of the race.Burnt out the stock clutch in the last lap just as he was preparing to take the lead away from the BMW which he was clearly faster than.Watch him this year in the Corvette-he's not as good there-the drivers are alot better in that class-but it's very entertaining nonetheless.And no I'm not that familiar with the car you competed in-what class was that?
    Last edited by 02z28ls1; 09-30-2005 at 02:52 PM.

Black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

Quote Originally Posted by Rhino21149
    It's cruel but I just can't pass up the opportunity: if you were street-racing (and it sounds like you were), then I agree: you were both acting like you were retarded.

One car length by the end of 2nd gear could just be the launch. Probably would have been different by the end of 3rd gear.

I really wouldn't call it street racing if your racing in a huge desserted parking lot, but oh well fuck it, I could care less. We didn't lauch, we were going about 10 mph on 3 honks. And to a guy that owns F-Bodys, Vette, and Porsche. A Vette is not faster period. I have raced far more then just 2 races with them. I just didn't want to write all day. The base model is over-rated, a F-Body is under-rated. In fact back in 1989 Turbo TA was by far the fastest of GM's vehicles. In fact, the 89 turbo put up better numbers then a 01 WS6, granted these facts are based on a show that documented the TA since it was released. The show could be wrong, but my personal experiances are not. Yes the Vette will handle better, but that is what mods are for. You can, with enough money can make a fucking pinto handle like a champ. Either way your getting a good car. People have their own opinions, and people will be bias. I have driven Vettes, raced Vettes and like Vettes but I would take my F-Body first. Shit I was even going to buy a 2000 M6 Red Vette loaded but when my friend called me and told me he saw a SS for sale. The paperwork stopped. And you can read my sig, never regreted it or looked back.

Mason 71
    hey thanks for the replies folks!

navy blue
    2002 Z-28 Camaro M6

Quote Originally Posted by Mason 71
    hey thanks for the replies folks!
    See what you started! I think we forgot what this whole thing was about -but right now the poll is dead tied up.Vote people!

Black
    2004 Z06

Its a tough call.

The SS has a pure mean reputation and has the "Ill blow your doors off no matter what you drive" visage and this is a well deserved given .. realistically.
    The only real true weakness is the rearend and its always a good investment to swap for a Moser to keep you bullitt proof and in the race.

The vette has the visage of an all around class act and pretty much blows the doors off anything also and you can't possibly lose with a Z06 ..

The vette is a lot easier to get the most 'hard to get babe' into your car .. and I would love to tell you what happened when I got her in ..

but I'd probably get banned ..

Black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

Eddierox, I like what you just typed. You gave both props with out shooting one down. Congrats.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread Information