Voters
343. You may not vote on this poll
  • 99 FRC Corvette

176 51.31%
  • 01 SS Camaro

167 48.69%
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910

What should I do... 01 SS or 99 Vette?

This is a discussion on What should I do... 01 SS or 99 Vette? within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; I just sold my fourth gen Z and looked at a new Z06 recently. Now I thinking of a '02 ...

I just sold my fourth gen Z and looked at a new Z06 recently. Now I thinking of a '02 SS. If your rich go for the Vette. If not consider these points:
    1. No spare.
    2. Usually front and rear tires sizes are different.
    3. Speed rated no flats can only be fixed twice.
    4. These tires go for around $450.00 each.
    I guess you could always buy a case of fix a flat and carry it with you.
    I love the Vette but as a student you better have 3A type of coverage and be in a location where they can get to you quickly. A Camaro might serve you better.

navy blue
    2002 Z-28 Camaro M6

Fix a flat will ruin a tire if it's left in there for any length of time. Then you'll still be buying a new tire. I ran over a steel alignment shim the other day in a freak deal and got a flat. First flat in quite a few years-glad I didn't have to buy expensive run flats. And what about smoky burnouts? With a run flat? If you can afford the Corvette-get one. Otherwise get the F-body. Has it really been a year since this thread started? (Saw a new Z06 the other day-sharp looking car!)

2000 black T/A Vert
    Red 99 C5 Coupe sold

I scanned through most of this thread, and wanted to reply several times, but then I stopped to think that most things said are just opinions, so here is mine. I currently have a 2000 TA vert as my daily driver, and a 99 C5 for my weekend car. I have owned 13 Vettes in the past, some for daily drivers, and some just bought to sell and make money. anyway, I have driven a Vette since I was 16, because my dad got me interested in them. A Vette was my daily driver from age 16 until age 30 (now 35), even after my wife and I had a baby.
    There is no problem with a Vette as a daily driver if you don't need to haul more than one person. If all three of us went together, we just took her car.

Some Vette owners are jerks, just as some F-body owners are too. most Vette drivers don't driver their cars like they were meant to be driver. The 97 Vette that I had was a H/C car with 385 rwhp. I autocrossed it and drag raced it. Most people in the Vette club I was in thought I was crazy.
    I don't understand when people say the F-body is faste, my C5 is an A4 with 3.15 gears compared to my Ta with 3.23 gears, and the Vette feels much more powerful. Both have air intakes, and the Vette has the exhaust mod done to it.
    The Vette accellerates, stops, and handles better than the F-body, at least betweeen my two cars. An A4 Vette with 2.73 gears to a 6sp Ram Air, I don't know the answer to that.
    With that said, I love my T/A. I have LT's ordered and want to do a cam and TC before summer. It is great to put the top down and take my kids with me.
    You can't go wrong with either one of them. There are different cars for different people.
    Shawn
    Last edited by shawn84&92; 12-09-2006 at 07:16 AM.

Black
    2000 Camaro SS

You're 19, insurance will kill you, get the SS and when you have it paid off at 25, get a Vette then, done and done.

Green

Get the vette

Black
    2014 Camaro 1LS

well since i got one gotta say 01 ss

Blue
    1998 Trans am

take the camero

Quote Originally Posted by Mason 71 View Post
    I have been wanting an ls1 for school for a long time now. I am about to have enough money for one. I have looked into a camaro and I am pretty sure I want an 01 SS, and after looking into a corvette, a 99 FRC would be what I would get if I didn't get a camaro. I want to have somthing I can mod and have a good return on its value. Which one would have greater depreciation in value? Oh and I found out that the insurance is cheaper for the corvette than the camaro. So, what should I do? I drive to and from school every two weeks, its about 40 miles one way. Thanks
    you can put you best friend and your girlfriend in the camero!!! only one rides in the vette and you can build the camero to run for 300 dollars you can put nitrous from dyno tune dry or wet I put the 175 shot of dry on mine and ohhh boy what a ride!!

Blue
    1998 Trans am

My 98 trans am spanks vettes at the track baddddd

Quote Originally Posted by shawn84&92 View Post
    I scanned through most of this thread, and wanted to reply several times, but then I stopped to think that most things said are just opinions, so here is mine. I currently have a 2000 TA vert as my daily driver, and a 99 C5 for my weekend car. I have owned 13 Vettes in the past, some for daily drivers, and some just bought to sell and make money. anyway, I have driven a Vette since I was 16, because my dad got me interested in them. A Vette was my daily driver from age 16 until age 30 (now 35), even after my wife and I had a baby.
    There is no problem with a Vette as a daily driver if you don't need to haul more than one person. If all three of us went together, we just took her car.

Some Vette owners are jerks, just as some F-body owners are too. most Vette drivers don't driver their cars like they were meant to be driver. The 97 Vette that I had was a H/C car with 385 rwhp. I autocrossed it and drag raced it. Most people in the Vette club I was in thought I was crazy.
    I don't understand when people say the F-body is faste, my C5 is an A4 with 3.15 gears compared to my Ta with 3.23 gears, and the Vette feels much more powerful. Both have air intakes, and the Vette has the exhaust mod done to it.
    The Vette accellerates, stops, and handles better than the F-body, at least betweeen my two cars. An A4 Vette with 2.73 gears to a 6sp Ram Air, I don't know the answer to that.
    With that said, I love my T/A. I have LT's ordered and want to do a cam and TC before summer. It is great to put the top down and take my kids with me.
    You can't go wrong with either one of them. There are different cars for different people.
    Shawn
    dude go to test and tune night at your local track and watch the vettes against a f body the f body gets way better tracktion and better ET
    I have spanked from old vettes to the new ones they all spin out of the hole and all they see is the lights on the back of my trans am!!!!!

Blue
    1998 Trans am

What????????????

bright rally red
    2002 ss 35th

Quote Originally Posted by blue02Z View Post
    I used to work for a GM dealership and I got to drive corvettes all the time. Compared to my Z I did not like the way that they felt, it was just different. Once we took a 2004 C5 A4 out on the streets when management left. My car was bone stock with the stock Goodyear Gsc's almost bald. I've got 6 speed and we tried a little drag race, i let out of it in 3rd and had at least 2 car lengths on my bud. I love my f-body!
    Just my .02!!
    I can relate very much to your story thats all I have to say.

White
    1999 Camaro SS

Another perspective about Vettes,Camaros and Birds

I like Vettes, but for practical reasons I got my SS. I am not young (just turned 50 last month, but I have always liked quick cars. My brother and I put a Procharger on my SS about 4 years ago. Last summer I had Dragon Race Engineering (they have built several Vettes in the 950 to 1000 plus hp here in Colorado) put in a blower cam, moser rear end, stage 3 clutch, flywheel etc. When they dynoed it they came up with about 506 hp on the Mustang dyno. But the rev limter had not been raised, there for they said it is actually more than 520 and 600 or so at the motor. My SS is pretty fast, not the fastest, but it's quick. I am not going to flame anyone, but I do think all newer Vettes, WS6's, SS Camaros, Trans Ams, and Z28 Camaros are nice cars and the value of them is more than money. It is how you yourself feel about your "ride".
    1999 Arctic White SS #462, ATI Procharger DS1, SLP Headers & Exhaust, 6M, BMR Subframe Connectors,Iridium Plugs Spec Stage 3 Clutch,Moser 12 bolt w/3.73's,Custom Cam,DRE Mustang Dyno 518.3hp @5900, rev limiter raised to 6700.

Iraq money well spent. TRY ME GT's Avatar

Black on Black
    2000 Camaro SS M6

What did he buy? i wonder??

Blue
    1998 Trans am

TransAm

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry's 99SS View Post
    I like Vettes, but for practical reasons I got my SS. I am not young (just turned 50 last month, but I have always liked quick cars. My brother and I put a Procharger on my SS about 4 years ago. Last summer I had Dragon Race Engineering (they have built several Vettes in the 950 to 1000 plus hp here in Colorado) put in a blower cam, moser rear end, stage 3 clutch, flywheel etc. When they dynoed it they came up with about 506 hp on the Mustang dyno. But the rev limter had not been raised, there for they said it is actually more than 520 and 600 or so at the motor. My SS is pretty fast, not the fastest, but it's quick. I am not going to flame anyone, but I do think all newer Vettes, WS6's, SS Camaros, Trans Ams, and Z28 Camaros are nice cars and the value of them is more than money. It is how you yourself feel about your "ride".
    Your right......I like all of them But I favor the Trans Am..its Tough looking I like its curves..and I can ride my wife and my two boys in it!Cant wait to bring it to the track to test all my new mods that I have been installing this last month..last time at the track I ran a 8.4 1/8 on bald nittos spun half way down the track.

Silver
    2002 Z28

I cant believe this thread is still around

2000 black T/A Vert
    Red 99 C5 Coupe sold

98 Trans Am,
    I do go to test and tunes, most Vette drivers can't drive, it is a fact. I consistenly cut 1.88's with my 97 HC Vette A4 with a 2500 Stall. I have had 13 Vetts and know how to drive them. Traction in an A4 is not a problem if you know how to drive. I own both cars, my 99 Vette is faster than my 00 T/A. It is just a fact.
    Shawn

98 Formula
    06 duramax

I believe this is another thread that's pretty much run it's course.

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910

Thread Information