Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

What re our cars really worth???

This is a discussion on What re our cars really worth??? within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Originally Posted by transamtom Loaded, Leather, T's Good condition probably a 7-7.5 overall when I bought it. Body was a ...

Black
    BLK TA modded 12.2@113mph

Beautiful car 4 sure

Quote Originally Posted by transamtom View Post
    Loaded, Leather, T's Good condition probably a 7-7.5 overall when I bought it.

Body was a 7 when I got it, I buffed it,waxed it and removed the moldings and now it looks 8-8.5.

Interior is a 9 no door panel cracks,the bolster on the seat is perfect not even a wear mark, no dash cracks.

Mechanically its a 9. Just a couple squeeks that should get better with the SFC's

I ran a 13.37 at 106 even on street tires with rear seat delete,spare delete,1/2 tank of 91 octane with just a SLP Lid and Blackwing filter.

I got a great deal on it and am very happy with it.
    They are awesome cars that's the reason I want another one I would say mine is an 8.5 to 9 and I never got it buffed just spray wax I know bad but my health doesn't let me buff lol the interior the same but I do have the door panel crack that I fixed with this site "thank you" and I ran a 13.33 at 105.88 so pretty consistent with you :-) You got a deal I think enjoy

midnight blue metalic
    2001 camaro z28

Well 1st off any v8 is a low desired car for the masses for resale and will be harder to sell .
    The 4 bangers are king when it come to resale all the commuters have to have em.
    Another point bearbones buyers want gas mileage 1st and reliability 2nd cheap to own and maintain.
    Buyers want 4 doors these cars dont attract cops so less tickets, smaller tires cheaper to replace ect.
    Bottom line job questionability housing in the dumps gas goin thru the roof has hurt resale of all v8 cars period.
    A beautiful gas guzzlin toy aint what masses are looking to buy, i think with the gas situation even G.M. has seen the writing on the wall hence the sonic being biult for later in the year smal 4 banger turbo smaller than a cobalt .

Well, it hasn't hurt sales for "all V8 cars period". The classic car market is still strong with many desirable models going for 6 figures.

I do agree however the housing market is in the slump, jobs are scarce, and it's affecting what people will purchase for daily commuting. Our family however doesn't fall into that catagory of cookie cutter "lets do what the rest of society is doing" type of thing. We couldn't care less for 4 banger 4 door cars. If that's all the big 3 are going to make in the future, I'll be dead and gone before I buy another new car.
    We have found It's actually more cost effective, more environment friendly, and a better investment to keep the old stuff we have, work on it, maintain it, and do things to those cars for better mileage. A little tweak here, a little twist there goes a long way. For what we drive (all 11 cars are V8's) I have some of them running very efficient that do better than the soccer mom mini vans running around.
    Besides, the cost of a new car (even a cheap one if there is such a thing,,,haha) sure would buy me a hell of alot of gas for the cars I already have. So I just don't see it as a wise move.

SOM
    2001 Z28 (Sara)

Quote Originally Posted by Smittro View Post
    What you put into them and what you get out is 2 differnt things.. Mods = what someone is willing to pay = usually not much.. The vehicle will retain the most value in stock form.. Cars loose 1/2-1/3 of their value in the first year you own it.. Now add 10 years and a 100k miles to that, and take into account 3rd person ownership also devalues a vehicle.. = not worth much. EVEN with the legondary ls1.

Bottom line is they just don't hold the value WE place on them.. They can't...
    I totally agree, any heavily (sp) modded car is going to be a tuff sell, stock you would have a better chance selling it. I have a 2001 Z28 with 30K original miles (garage queen), no dents or accidents, It is basically stock (motor), I do not believe I could sell it for more than 9k, if I could even get that much. Let's face it the vehicle is 10 1/2 years old.

SteveC

Quote Originally Posted by SteveC View Post
    Let's face it the vehicle is 10 1/2 years old.
    SteveC
    And that's a key statement. These cars are right in that time frame where they aren't near new, and they aren't nearly old enough to be a collectable, "IF" they even reach that status. That's the big question.
    My thoughts are that they probably won't really become a huge collectable like we are used to seeing from the 40's-50's-60's classic cars.
    The biggest reason for that, and I'm not trying to insult 4th gens, I've owned enough of them, but they are cookie cutter type cars. Only changes are minor outside and inside appearance packages, none of which have any real character. The worst part though is all the drivetrains were the same ole' LS1 engine with only 2 different transmission options. That doesn't always appeal to the collector car market.

You might see some of the Firehawks gain in value because of limited production runs, and falling behind that might be some well preserved WS6's and SS camaro's. But I just don't look for them to be worth all that much even in the next 20 years. If you want something that is going to continue to appreciate and be a worthwhile investment, buy a classic car that has some merit. They are better than 401K's. The problem now is that anything worth owning is already expensive to buy.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

In short, a car is worth what someone will pay for it.

midnight blue metalic
    2001 camaro z28

Lets face it at this time especially w/ everyone underwater and or gettin pink slips ect.
    I believe that the lower the price for basic transpo the more interest in it.
    Yeah always theres some that like v8's no matter ho high gas goes ect.
    Hell some will ride bart, have liability ins only ect just masses trying to keep head above water.
    Beautiful fast cars are a luxory for the few compared to the econo cars acompanied w word of mouth reliability.
    I mean basics baby basics right now w capital letters its really what s happenning now more than ever!
    Wall mart, moving to smaller places, dollar tree, used corrolas and civics liability only, few restaurants eatin at home, cutting comcast, putting on a coat keepin heater off ect.
    These are the behaviors of america by a wide margin now but talked little about it.
    Hell most dont even have 401k's now.

Our cars are not worth much. They're not collectors items or anything.. You'd be hard pressed to get what you want out of it, especially in this economy.

Sunset Orange Metallic
    2002 Z28 Hardtop

So many 4th gen cars for sale around the area. I don't pay much attention to the 93-97 models, but I look at the prices of the 98-02 cars. v6 cars are running anywhere from 1200 for a high mileage barely running trash can to about 4500 for a low mileage ( less than 50k) super clean car.
    The v8 cars are just the same. startinga t about 3000 and running to about 9000. There are some for sale at higher prices, but they have been for sale for a long time.
    Whatever the reason, they just aren't selling well or at high prices anymore in this area.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information