Silver
    98 Z28

What to Mod first and Order of Mods?

I think I am like most car-nuts, in the sense that I have a wish list of what I want to put on my car and that this wish list far far far (let me say that again) far exceeds my budget. I have been doing some research and asking some gearhead buddies of mine, but I want some feedback from you guys.

I am not sure what to Mod first. My camaro Z28 has a stock ls1 with A4 tranny. The only mod I have done so far is put a magnaflow catback exhaust on it. My goal is 450-500rwhp, while still streetable on pump gas. Moreover, I really want to get these gains without Nos or Forced Induction.

What I want to do is put the Fast 90/90 setup, with a larger cam, LT headers, and Tune. But, what do I do first since I really only have about two grand to play around with now?

I am thinking about completing the exhaust setup with some LT headers and then putting in a larger cam, and then getting it tuned.

However, should I just get better gears, a shift kit, and a tune and just add more later when I have the extra money.

I know that engine work (better) as a system when modding, but what do I do working with a budget. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

stall, lid, headers, catback and drag radials would be a nice start. That should put you deep in the 12's. That should also put you in the neighborhood of your $2k. I would add a tune in there too after the headers and stall. Depending on the brands you buy and the money spent all of that would be in the ballpark of your budget.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Just to give you an idea I spent ~$3k on my heads and cam with the supporting stuff that goes with a heads/cam such as oil pump, timing chain, lifters,pushrods, underdrive pulley blah blah blah. Add $1100 to that for your 90/90 and if you're shooting for big HP your heads/cam will be considerably more expensive than mine because I went with PRC heads and for those numbers you're looking at AFR heads or equivelant. 450 to the wheels on an LS1 motor NA is not easy to come by and it'll be tougher with an a4 due to parasitic loss. If you're dead set on that HP it'd be a better option to do a stroked motor.

Silver
    98 Z28

Thanks for the input. I think I am going to go with your advice. Also, I looked on ebay for some cheapo headers and there are some stainless ones for about $250. Actually, these headers are being discussed here in the external engine forum. I will definitely pick these up if firemedic says they are good.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Unfortunately I've read about 50 people that said they were getting those headers but I don't really remember reading any reviews on them. If you're looking at straight horsepower I would scratch the catback off that list and go true duals dumped at the axle. Not sure how loud you want the car because dumps are very loud but you'd make a little more hp over a catback with dumps. A good quality catback flows well and will keep the drone out of the car at a cost of a few HP, that number varies depending on who you talk to.

LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

The user Gnictry on here has the eBay OBX stainless headers on her car. They fit well and made good power. To see them in person, they look like they would cost much more. I was very skeptical before seeing them; they are actually very nice.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

glad to hear it. Seems like one of those "to good to be true" deals but I've never read where people had problems with them either. Is anyone making a Y-pipe for those headers? Seems like I saw someone had one for sale in the "for sale" section a while back but I wasn't sure if they bought it or had it made.

LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    glad to hear it. Seems like one of those "to good to be true" deals but I've never read where people had problems with them either. Is anyone making a Y-pipe for those headers? Seems like I saw someone had one for sale in the "for sale" section a while back but I wasn't sure if they bought it or had it made.
    Hers came WITH the y pipe! It was an incredible deal. I am f-body hunting for my GF, and you can cool believe that these will go on her car.

Here, I found her post in another thread where she took a pic of what she got, click it to see it bigger:

Quote Originally Posted by GNICTRY View Post
    k...this is what i haveClick for full sizethen i have lm1...
    More she sent:

Last edited by Frost; 01-06-2008 at 03:59 AM.

Black
    2014 Camaro 1LS

e-mail sent to you

98 Formula
    06 duramax

wonder what she paid for that..... looks like it even has cats with it. Looks like a high quality piece from the pictures.

Silver
    98 Z28

Hey Frost did you say you got those off ebay!!!!

LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    wonder what she paid for that..... looks like it even has cats with it. Looks like a high quality piece from the pictures.

Something like 500 shipped! They aren't cats but I think they may be supposed to look like some? They are empty; they call them resonators. The piping and flanges were much thicker than I expected.

Quote Originally Posted by TommiGunn View Post
    Hey Frost did you say you got those off ebay!!!!

No I said the user GNICTRY did. I got a good look at them when I tuned her car.

Black
    2002 Trans Am WS6

I would do exhaust, headers, and gear first...

black, 05 Roush
    black, 99 T/A WS.6

Sub Frame connectors

Pick me! Pick me!

Sebring Silver Metalic
    2002 Camaro Z28

tommigunn, i couldn't figure out how or why i couldn't PM you, so i hope you don't mind me busting into your mod thread.

I was curious how you felt the sound was after you added the cat back to your stock z28. I've done the LS1 sounds web site but not every one is a great film producer, hehe.

I talked to a local muffler shop and they guy said i wouldn't notice much in the way of sound, volume blah blah blah.

Do you think the cat back change the tone, volume, etc to a meaner cooler muslce car sound?

thanks

Silver
    98 Z28

What up Kool-aid, when I bought the z28 this summer it was completely stock. If you have or had a stock exhaust than you know that it is just too damn quiet. I got some money together and put a cat back system on as quick as possible. The cat back system I put on was a magnaflow system and IMO it made a huge difference. It makes the car sound more "tough" and it made my car a little faster. However, it doesn't make it sound like a race car but regardless it is much better than the stock exhaust. I will be putting on headers soon and I can't wait too hear what it will sound like then. Peace

Sebring Silver Metalic
    2002 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by TommiGunn View Post
    What up Kool-aid, when I bought the z28 this summer it was completely stock. If you have or had a stock exhaust than you know that it is just too damn quiet. I got some money together and put a cat back system on as quick as possible. The cat back system I put on was a magnaflow system and IMO it made a huge difference. It makes the car sound more "tough" and it made my car a little faster. However, it doesn't make it sound like a race car but regardless it is much better than the stock exhaust. I will be putting on headers soon and I can't wait too hear what it will sound like then. Peace
    cool thanks, i really didn't believe the muffler guy. it's a shame because the shop came highly recommended. good luck with the headers.

Thread Information