red
    2002, trans am

Exclamation What makes oil sit in the throttle body?

I have been having problems with oil coming through the pcv valve into the throttle body everytime i drive. What causes this and how do i correct it?

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

It is drawn through the PCV system. You should install a catch can as the simplest remedy.

red
    2002, trans am

Thanks will check it out.

Pewter metallic
    2001 Pontiac Trans Am

Been thinking of fabricating a better baffle for indie the valve covers. Seems to me I would get more oile passing through as a result of drifting and wild donuts or alot of high torque launches. Thought maybe oil was getting sloshed around and too much would get passes the chinsy baffles from the factory. But that may just have been the herb thinking for me

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

This is the Elite Engineering catch can set up I installed on our car. Another option is to convert to the LS6 system, however, I have read mixed feedback on that one.

Pewter metallic
    2001 Pontiac Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by Ain't Right View Post
    Been thinking of fabricating a better baffle for indie the valve covers. Seems to me I would get more oile passing through as a result of drifting and wild donuts or alot of high torque launches. Thought maybe oil was getting sloshed around and too much would get passes the chinsy baffles from the factory. But that may just have been the herb thinking for me
    You are on the right track, what would work even better is if GM put the hose connections up toward the front of the valve covers instead of the very back where oil tends to migrate most of the time.
    GM always had the PCV connections up towards the front of the engines since the 60's, and oil consumption was never an issue. Why they changed to the back when the LS engines came out is beyond me. I think they realized this and that's why the revised LS6 valley pan was introduced to try and remedy the problem.

The easiest way to fix it is just like Jeff said, install a catch can. Even the revised LS6 valley pan still pulls a little oil through and requires a catch can. So you may as well do a catch can first.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

I'm not hear to preach because I have done the LS6 VCT mod & catch can but I will testified that my oil consumption has dropped to almost nil since I've done it. I agree with FBJ that GM realized it was a mistake and did a correction.

Nor will I how my of a POS the OEM PCV system is.

OP you can't go wrong with a catch can. You can make it like Ted did or you can get them from as low as $60 to as high as $200. Depends on what you want, style, & applications.

Quote Originally Posted by SMWS6TA View Post
    I'm not hear to preach because I have done the LS6 VCT mod & catch can but I will testified that my oil consumption has dropped to almost nil since I've done it. I agree with FBJ that GM realized it was a mistake and did a correction.

Ya I saw your pics of your LS6 conversion. I have to admit I was a little surprised at the amount of oil you were still getting in the catch can with the LS6 valley pan. What little you had in your cup is what I'm getting in my catch can using the stock PCV system. But that could be contributed to a few difference things.
    Either way, that catch can is a must have on an LS engine. I installed one on my 2004 6.0 truck engine that I just swapped in my blazer, and even that PCV system which is revised over the LS1 is catching a little bit of oil in the catch can. But again, it's still at the back of the valve cover,,,,UGH!!!

Pewter metallic
    2001 Pontiac Trans Am

I've also placed lawnmower fuel filters iny pcv lines to help cut down on oil flow but also as a visual inspection aid since my can his hidden away.

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

I have the LS6 valley cover/pcv system and still got as much oil in the throttle body as before. Catch can is the way to go.

Sunset Orange Metallic
    2002 Z28 Hardtop

Get a catch can. Once you have it installed, pull the throttle body and clean it and as much of the intake manifold as you can reach with lint free towels. That should solve your problem.
    And don't forget to empty the catch can once in a while.

Thread Information