Red
    2001 Trans Am

What to look for?

Going to check out 3 different LS1 cars this weekend that I might purchase and I was wondering what I could look for specifically to make sure that they are in good shape and I'm getting a good car? Are there any big things that stand out that I will notice? Any advice on buying a used car is good. I do plan on having a mechanic check them out but I would like to figure some stuff out first. Thanks guys

Visualize°Design°Create SSwt00SS's Avatar

'18 CTS-V
    '13 ZL1

make sure there are no leaks, esp the oil pan, transmission, and rear end...

window motors...

trans shifts smoothly - both for an A$ or M6...

look for any electrical problems...

grab the VIN# and door codes to see what options they have...

stay away from any that have had damage...

strongly consider the lowest milage car of the 3...

and just check the car over completely inside and out. you'll know if something doesnt feel right. if you arent sure take along a camera and snap a few pics to post up for us to help you out any way we can...

Red
    2001 Trans Am

awesome thanks man i really appreciate that. the pics idea is a good one too i will do that. are there any little secret things that no one typically looks for that i can maybe look for?

Blue
    2002 Z28 Camaro M6

Check every switch, button, and gizmo (don't forget the horn and cig lighter )you can. I try to keep it systematic from left to right.

After you check the radio turn it off and let the car sit there running with the AC on for 10 minutes or so. Recheck for leaks etc and take a good look at the temp gauge.

After you have gotten used to the car a bit and have driven it around listen in for any weird sounds. I would try and get on a freeway if you can and do it aggressively so you can see if anything appears under full throttle. I would also do a strong break check.

In addition, I would also go there with a list of things you want to check, otherwise you are very likely to forget something (I just bought one and forgot to check the windshield wipers.. one did not work, luckily it was just a loose wire).

white
    2002 z28

if you can also bring a body man, carfax dont mean nothing when it gets fixed under the radar. but if you cant find a body man, look at the gaps on all the panels to see if they are not uniform with each other, and look for different shades of colors, meaning if it got repainted. ( its somthing to threw in there face if they say its never been hit)

another thing you can tell huge on if the motor bay is spotless, it shows that the owner takes good care,

and if it is a fresh start there might bil a lil motor knock, all of our cars have it when its cold, just make sure its not knocking when you come back from the test drive

Thread Information