Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

what got you most HP

This is a discussion on what got you most HP within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; I also have a 93 T/A.....you need to dump the speed density for mod friendly mass-air, that was one of ...

Black
    00 WS6

I also have a 93 T/A.....you need to dump the speed density for mod friendly mass-air, that was one of the best mods I did. A good cheep mod is a cut out, once I put my headers on the cut out gave me 2 tenths at the track. If you want good track times get some DRs....all the HP in the world does nothing if you can't hook. Also look into control arms and a TA.

pewter
    2002 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by hutch1999 View Post
    Id vote for a small shot of nitrous
    Hey does nitrous hurt the engine or not in the long run please let me know.Thanks.

1998 Firebird Formula WS6

a bigger throttle body is supposed to help those lt1's out a lot

Black
    00 WS6

Quote Originally Posted by 180ls1 View Post
    a bigger throttle body is supposed to help those lt1's out a lot

I've a stock TB and run low 12s.........

My Neighbors Hate Me!!! lvbroham1's Avatar

Artic White
    2001 Chevy Camaro SS

I would suggest the LT4 hotcam from GM, ported and polished heads, new rocker rollers and springs, a small shot of gas, and lastly a computer tune. You could probably get a cheap tune from an online sight. My buddy went with this setup and his 96 LT1 flies! I don't remember spending that much either, somewhere around 1700 to 2000.

orange
    99 z28

n20, cam and heads. go lsx swap it you have lots of $$, but lt1's cost half as much as ls1's to mod...so sad check out the price diff for heads for lt1 vs ls1

if you want a real nasty engine for cheapish look into a 383 stroker

Silver
    2002 WS6 Trans Am

Nitrous makes good power, but at the expense of your internals lifespan. To run nitrous properly, your engine needs to be built for it. Best bang for the buck is a good cam, and a set of heads if you have the cash. They'll make excellent power without blowing out your rings and eating the tops of your pistons.
    2002 WS6 Trans Am, A4, SLP lid, P&P TB, 3500 stall, 24K GVW tranny cooler, HPTuners, Pacesetter LTs, Bassani dual exhaust with 'x' crossover, coolant bypass, sealed airbox to hood.

http://www.cardomain.com/id/jag42420

Sunset Orange metallic
    2002 Camaro SS #303

STICKERS!!!!! LOL ricer nation!!!

Pewter
    02 Z28

get nitrous
    2002 Z28 Auto (3.23 gears)
    Mods
    Lid, UD pulley, Shift Kit, 160 Thermo, Y-pipe, Panhard, TB bypass, Bellow, K&N, Strut Brace, Flowmaster, weight reduction.

I know everyone suggests nitrous,,,and that can be a great power adder if done properly,,,but I generally don't like to go that route. Some people say it's a cheap bang for the buck,,,But I have never seen it that way. Some people get away with cheaper entry level kits that work fine, and thats where the phrase,,,,best bang for the buck comes in.

I on the other hand prefer to setup a nitrous system with a seperate fuel system, pump regulator, etc,,,,just for the nitrous side of things, plus a timing retard control, a progressive controller for a small tire car is almost a must, even with a smallish 150 shot,,,,and it's much easier on the motor and it's internals,,,and the rest of the drivetrain as well,,,so it doesn't have to bear the brunt of the initial hit all at once. All of this is not included in the entry level kits of $500 or less. As you can see,,,setting up a nitrous system in my eyes is not cheap,,,as these parts can easily raise the price well over $1,500 and beyond for me, and I didn't even get into the details. This really puts a dent in the phrase,,,,,"best bang for the buck" Doesn't it?

For this kind of money I would rather do heads and camshaft upgrades,,,and keep it naturally asperated. To me it's always been more impressive to see a fast car on the motor only,,,,,a car with nitrous,,,,well you expect that to be fast anyway. Don't get me wrong, it can be a great addition if done properly.

One thing that stands out to me is that 93 model year your have. That would be a speed density car with no MAF. I would first do as suggested earlier and switch that over to an MAF design that is a little more friendly when it comes to bolt ons. With the right camshaft and heads,,,and a good tune you can have an easy 11 second LT1. Just depends on how fast you want to go, and how fat the wallet is.

orange
    99 z28

i agree with jones on the nitrous deal... there's a reason i don't have it... it gets really pricey if you wanna do it right. sure you can slap a 150 dry shot on in under an hour and see what happens, but to do it right you really do have to spend upwards of 1500$ to get all the safety equipment and a good tune. my vote still goes to 383 stroker! they can be had for cheap in lt1 form! ls1 is over rated for that reason alone, no rich bastard is gonna mod an lt1, meaning lt1's performance parts came wayyy down in $$!

knowing what i know now i would've bought an lt1 camaro and modded the hell out of it for the same price as my ls1 camaro stock (plus there are soooo many scam artists using the ls1 as bait, easy work seeing as there's no easily accesibly info on em from gm...)

Quote Originally Posted by Orange99z28 View Post
    i agree with jones on the nitrous deal... there's a reason i don't have it... it gets really pricey if you wanna do it right. sure you can slap a 150 dry shot on in under an hour and see what happens, but to do it right you really do have to spend upwards of 1500$ to get all the safety equipment and a good tune. my vote still goes to 383 stroker! they can be had for cheap in lt1 form! ls1 is over rated for that reason alone, no rich bastard is gonna mod an lt1, meaning lt1's performance parts came wayyy down in $$!

knowing what i know now i would've bought an lt1 camaro and modded the hell out of it for the same price as my ls1 camaro stock (plus there are soooo many scam artists using the ls1 as bait, easy work seeing as there's no easily accesibly info on em from gm...)
    I agree,,,,if the heads and cam didn't get you fast enough,,,,then a stroker assembly would be the next step in my opinion.
    If a total rebuild is in order,,,than a stroker rotating assembly makes more sense,,,,as these are barely more than the cost of a standard stroke rebuild,,,,why spend the money for a 355 when you can have a 383 for virtually the same money.

Red
    Vette,240sx,ls1 camaro

I am in the process of building a 383 stroker Lt1. Internally crank, Pistons, Rods, All the machine work, clearances, Oil pump, ETC is costing me about 2100$. With your cam, heads, headers, Already with a tune you will be in the 500+Hp Ball park easy!!! According to the combo/tune you can be in the 600+Hp range also!! So like the guys have said earlier its according to your budget. You can do the cheaper stuff that you already have done, but if thats not enough. Time to tear down and start building a stroker.

As for the Nitrous if your not willing to spend 1500$ to do it right don't attempt. For that kind of money throw an extra 500$ in there go stroker and gain 100+ N/A Hp!! Just my O2 about the No2!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information