Results 1 to 18 of 18

What does this code P0430 mean?

This is a discussion on What does this code P0430 mean? within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; My Service Engine Soon light came on a few days ago out of the blue. Got codes ran and it ...

  1. #1
    I rather be wakeboarding SexyWS6Mama's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Central TX
    Age
    37
    Posts
    1,694

    Sunset Orange Metallic
    2002 WS6

    What does this code P0430 mean?

    My Service Engine Soon light came on a few days ago out of the blue. Got codes ran and it came up with P0430? What does that mean?

    What's wrong with my car?

    Thanks!

  2. #2
    Veteran Hi-Po's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    10,461

    Black
    1999 TA WS.6

    SES Code - P0430 Click here!

    That should help. Get back with us with anymore questions!
    370 CI - Twin 6766 Turbo - Jakes stage 5 4L80E - MWC 9" - Holley Dominator

    Build in progress...

  3. #3
    I rather be wakeboarding SexyWS6Mama's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Central TX
    Age
    37
    Posts
    1,694

    Sunset Orange Metallic
    2002 WS6

    Quote Originally Posted by Hi-Po View Post
    SES Code - P0430 Click here!

    That should help. Get back with us with anymore questions!
    Thanks!

  4. #4
    Veteran 0rion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    ohio
    Posts
    22,520

    98 Formula
    06 duramax

    cat efficiency code....your cats should still be under warranty. We discussed it a lot in THIS thread. Cutlass has all the info in post 13. Most dealerships are unaware of the warranty extension so you may have to have them look it up.

  5. #5
    I rather be wakeboarding SexyWS6Mama's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Central TX
    Age
    37
    Posts
    1,694

    Sunset Orange Metallic
    2002 WS6

    Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    cat efficiency code....your cats should still be under warranty. We discussed it a lot in THIS thread. Cutlass has all the info in post 13. Most dealerships are unaware of the warranty extension so you may have to have them look it up.
    My car has 140K on it, I don't think it's under warranty anymore and I have had my car since 2002

  6. #6
    Veteran 0rion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    ohio
    Posts
    22,520

    98 Formula
    06 duramax

    don't you know you're not supposed to drive and enjoy your car??

  7. #7
    We'll be back... GatorSS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    THE SWAMP
    Posts
    1,446

    Light Pewter Metallic
    2000 Camaro SS M6

    It seems your #2 cat might be somewhat clogged. If that's the case, there is an easy fix for it. (Since you've passed 120k miles, the warranty on the cats has expired.)

    Have you noticed any change for the worse in performance? If performance is still great, then it is probably not clogged and the right rear O2 sensor may not be reading properly.

  8. #8
    Senior Member Too Fast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Age
    54
    Posts
    5,170

    Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

    Quote Originally Posted by GatorSS View Post
    It seems your #2 cat might be somewhat clogged. If that's the case, there is an easy fix for it. (Since you've passed 120k miles, the warranty on the cats has expired.)

    Have you noticed any change for the worse in performance? If performance is still great, then it is probably not clogged and the right rear O2 sensor may not be reading properly.
    Not true. The PCM proves the upstream and downstream O2 sensors before it will allow the P0430. A catalyst efficiency code is just that, it won't scrub the exhaust like the manufacturer wants it to, either because it is degraded and still flows perfectly or partially clogged.

  9. #9
    We'll be back... GatorSS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    THE SWAMP
    Posts
    1,446

    Light Pewter Metallic
    2000 Camaro SS M6

    Quote Originally Posted by Too Fast View Post
    Not true. The PCM proves the upstream and downstream O2 sensors before it will allow the P0430. A catalyst efficiency code is just that, it won't scrub the exhaust like the manufacturer wants it to, either because it is degraded and still flows perfectly or partially clogged.
    By not reading properly, I am not speaking of a malfunctioning O2 sensor, but one that is not giving accurate O2 readings likely due to some type of build-up on the sensor. I've seen O2 sensors with such build-up that although they are "proven" (functioning properly), they are giving inaccurate readings. We have successfully cleaned this build-up off of the O2 sensors by using a propane torch. After re-installing these cleaned sensors, there was no longer a P0430 code given.

  10. #10
    Senior Member Too Fast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Age
    54
    Posts
    5,170

    Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

    Hmmmm, something to think about I guess. You make a valid point about O2 sensor degradation, but in my 25+ years of fixing cars I've never had a problem (yet) with just replacing just the convertor with that code. Actually I've only been working with this code the past 15 or so tho.

  11. #11
    Super Moderator
    pajeff02's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Mansfield, PA
    Posts
    21,576

    Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

    Since you guys are talking O2 tech -- is there a certain time or mileage that you should just replace them at, even if there are no codes? I understand that as the sensor gets older it becomes less accurate. I have also read on here something about installing Corvette O2's as they have a faster switching rate (believe this is what it was called). What's the scoop?

  12. #12
    Veteran 0rion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    ohio
    Posts
    22,520

    98 Formula
    06 duramax

    Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    Since you guys are talking O2 tech -- is there a certain time or mileage that you should just replace them at, even if there are no codes? I understand that as the sensor gets older it becomes less accurate. I have also read on here something about installing Corvette O2's as they have a faster switching rate (believe this is what it was called). What's the scoop?
    you will most likely get a few different answers to this. Frost will tell you to change those O2's fairly regularly ( 30k-40k) I think. I think most are rated for 80k I believe. My stock set went 80k but when I did the headers I swapped them then. Then I swapped them again to go with the vette rears (bosch 13111) because they supposedly have a better heater in them although I've read things to the contrary. I was getting heater codes with my other sensors but haven't had one with the bosch so something worked.

  13. #13
    Super Moderator
    pajeff02's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Mansfield, PA
    Posts
    21,576

    Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

    Thank you. LT's and a catted Y are next on the list -- pros and cons of deleting the rear O2's from the system?

  14. #14
    Awaiting Activation
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    635

    SOM
    1998 T.A.

    You wiil need to delete the rear o2's with LT's as the cats are too far downstream and WILL throw a code.

  15. #15
    Super Moderator
    pajeff02's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Mansfield, PA
    Posts
    21,576

    Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

    Quote Originally Posted by SOMbitch View Post
    You wiil need to delete the rear o2's with LT's as the cats are too far downstream and WILL throw a code.
    That's the answer I was looking for.

  16. #16
    Senior Member Too Fast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Age
    54
    Posts
    5,170

    Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

    And, the only reason for rear O2s is to check for catalyst efficiency.

    I recommend replacing O2 sensors in the 60-80k range for my customers, depending on what the car is in for.

  17. #17
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Clarkston,mi
    Posts
    11
    I just pulled this code. The reader said Bank 2. I have read this post but am still not sure what the bank 2 is?

  18. #18
    Senior Member Too Fast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Age
    54
    Posts
    5,170

    Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

    Bank 2 is the passenger side of the engine. That front cylinder is #2, the even numbered cylinders are on that side, the odd numbered cylinders are on the drivers s1,3,5,7). So, bank 1 lean, or catalyst efficiency, or anything bank 1, would be the drivers side of the engine, and the bank 2 would be anything related to the passenger side of the engine.



    Or it could be the second bank you have your $$$ in.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Help: P0430 code ?
    By MyY2K in forum External Engine
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 02-22-2012, 02:16 PM
  2. P0430 code
    By 98TransAmWs-6 in forum General Help
    Replies: 51
    Last Post: 10-13-2010, 09:05 AM
  3. code p0430
    By taz2 in forum Computer & Tuning
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-15-2008, 11:25 AM
  4. Obd Code P0430
    By wnmech in forum General Help
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 11-29-2007, 08:08 PM
  5. Code Help P0430
    By wnmech in forum Firebird / WS6
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-31-2007, 02:31 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •