Red
    2001 Trans Am

What to do about brake lines?

I ordered a set of stainless steel brake lines and I need to get them installed. Unfortunately I am too amateur and don't have the tools to do this myself nor do I want to attempt it. The mechanic I usually go to was gonna charge $200 for the labor and he thinks its not worth it and it wont make a difference. Should I shop around and find a cheaper install price or return them? Are they really worth it? I've heard they're a great upgrade especially since I just did drilled/slotted rotors and pads.

Black
    2002 Trans Am

well i have a friend who will show me how to do mine when i get the money to get them but they are worth it imo because when my friend was installing them on his car he saw that the old rubber hose was cut and he said well at least he knows that wont happen with these

Sold: LS1 '85 El Camino ls1camino's Avatar

2000 Grand Prix GTP
    2000 Trans Am WS6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by patriot1136 View Post
    I ordered a set of stainless steel brake lines and I need to get them installed. Unfortunately I am too amateur and don't have the tools to do this myself nor do I want to attempt it. The mechanic I usually go to was gonna charge $200 for the labor and he thinks its not worth it and it wont make a difference. Should I shop around and find a cheaper install price or return them? Are they really worth it? I've heard they're a great upgrade especially since I just did drilled/slotted rotors and pads.
    1. Installing things yourself is how you learn about your car, and as a result, you appreciate your car more...same concept goes for washing it, you would never take it to an automated car wash, so why have a garage install stuff for you? It may take longer for you to do it and yes, your car will be undriveable till you figure it out, but you'll learn

2. Stainless Steel Brake Lines ARE worth it...the rubber hoses bulge when you apply the brakes, so with the Steel Braided Lines, you get a firmer pedal and quicker response from the brakes.

3. Drilled/Slotted Rotors are garbage. They are more prone to warping under heavy braking and really serve no purpose since you're not running a road course everyday that would require the brakes to cool off that quickly.

4. If you really don't want to pay a garage or do the install yourself, I'll be more than happy to buy the Steel Brake Lines off you

always dirty
    2013 Ram 2014 Caddy ATS

If you dont know what you are doing brake lines are not something you want to take a chance doing yourself. 200 seems high unless they do a flush of the brake system also. Do you have a friend with tools that could help you? If you know what you are doing it is not a hard install at all.

Light Pewter Metallic
    2000 Camaro SS M6

Did you install the rotors & pads yourself? If you can do that then you can install brake lines (easiest if done when you did the rotors/pads).

SOM
    2001 Z28 (Sara)

A local mechanic charged me the one hour labor rate ($55) to swap out the brake lines, and bleed and refill the system.

SteveC

Light Pewter Metallic
    2000 Camaro SS M6

$55 is a fair price.

Thread Information