Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Black
    2001 WS6

the "what did i tear up" game

I posted a thread the other day about an oopsies. I want to make sure i didnt fuck anything up. Cliff- in shifting to pass a car on the highway, the car wouldnt go into gear, and resulted in a loud bang noise. Shifts fine, no whine. Now i noticed that if im in gear, and let off the pedal, that the car will kind of jerk a little bit as it slows down. like a wer wer wer wer kind of sound/feel. I thought it might be the rear? what do you guys think.?

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by Ramairgod84 View Post
    I posted a thread the other day about an oopsies. I want to make sure i didnt fuck anything up. Cliff- in shifting to pass a car on the highway, the car wouldnt go into gear, and resulted in a loud bang noise. Shifts fine, no whine. Now i noticed that if im in gear, and let off the pedal, that the car will kind of jerk a little bit as it slows down. like a wer wer wer wer kind of sound/feel. I thought it might be the rear? what do you guys think.?
    shame on you for that title..

when it didnt go into gear was it trying to kick you out of the gear..or was it just grinding not letting you in? if it was a 1 time thing i wouldnt worry tooo much. if it starts doing it more we have a issue.

i really think a lot of this is in your head..it happens all the time..something weird happens with our cars and all of a sudden we hear "new" sounds or "feel" new vibrations. id give it a week and see if it is still doing that.

could always be the clutch.

Black
    2001 WS6

it was a one time thing, never happend before or after. it was more like a loud bang, kind like something siezed up. I'm real critical about stuff on the car right now, because i got that rear and everything from the accident back in january. so thats all fresh on there, and idk if its new or used. I wouldnt want to settle with the girl's ins. company and then it go on me and me be stuck with the bill. the car didnt pop back into gear, it was almost as if it went to the wrong gear, but didnt.

Black
    99 WS.6 - Modified

Maybe crawl under and check all the suspension mounts and t/a mounts and such. Maybe a bolt broke or something simple.

Black
    2001 WS6

i noticed that theres a little clunk when i go into the driveway now. I wont have the ability to get under it till monday, so any thoughts on what to look at is helpful. im gonna look at the front sway bar to start.

black
    2002 WS6

sounds like a bearing might have poped on ya, get the tires off the ground and give everything a spin and see what you can find. Can you figure out where the wer wer wer sound is coming from? is speed dependent?

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

If it does it out of gear then its the diff, if it does it in gear then it's transmission related.

More dreams than money... Cobra Killer's Avatar

White
    99 Z-28

This exact thing happed to me the other a few months back. Loud pop almost even jolted the car and I got on the insterstate and noticed the whirring and a little "jerking" sort of when I let the gas off. It was my rearend... Something in the spiders messed up and actually knocked a chunk out of the carrier casing.

Black
    2001 WS6

how noticible was the jerking? ive also noticed a vibration at lower rpms

White
    99 Z-28

Not terribly noticable at first. Although at low RPM's it would jerk or vibrate in 1st and 2nd pretty bad, around 1500 to 2200 RPM. Thats when I really noticed the jerking at first then it got worse and I noticed it all the time. Pop your differential cover off and check out the magnet on it. It sounds too close to what happened to me to not check it out.

Black
    2001 WS6

any tips on popping the cover off? ive never done that before. and when i let off the gas pedal and im decelerating, the jerking is very very slight. like very light, not like hard core

White
    99 Z-28

Sounds like mine at first, it will get worse. Just crawl under the car with a 3/8 drive ratchet and a 12mm socket I think... An extension will help and dont forget an oil pan, you will need a open end wrench for the drain plug, or just an adjustable wrench. Remove the drain plug on the side of the pumpkin and drain the oil... Then take all the bolts off the differentail cover. You might have to pry the cover off a little. After you get it off and around the sway bar you will see the ring and pinion and the carrier. On the inside of the differential cover there is a magnet. Look at it and see if there are chunks of metal or such. Also once you have the diff cover off jack the car up and spin the back wheels to inspect the ring, pinion, carrier especially. Carrier went out on me had a chunk missing out of it.

Black
    2001 WS6

any pics of any of this by chance? just so i know what im lookin for? and i also suppose ill need more fluid as well for the rear

White
    99 Z-28

No I dont have any pics of mine sorry... Trust me, once you get the fliud drained and differential cover off you will be like "oh, duh..." You will see the magnet on the differential cover, it is shaped like a donut and will have little metal shavings on it more than likely, big metal chunks are bad lol... Then inspect the ring gear, pinion, and carrier... Just look for things that look 00gouged, chipped, or even chunks missing. If something is wrong you will see it more than likely. Also when you rotate the wheel when it is jacked up, listen for grinding and feel for "loose spots." It might feel easier to turn in on spot then it did before. It would be best to have a buddy help, he can turn the wheel while you inspect the ring etc, make sure you are listenging to it while he is turning it too... I am not a rookie, definately a amatuer though, I went into this kind of blind too, I managed though. You will be fine. Now I am just waiting to get back to San Diego to buy a used 10 bolt haha for now...

Black
    2001 WS6

how do i drain the fluid thats in there? and what kind of fluid will i need to put back in

White
    99 Z-28

Also the drain plug isnt what I said sorry... Just use the same 3/8 ratchet to take it off. You wont need a socket the sqaure part of the ratchet fits in plug. Also my problem was spider gears, if its the case on yours, it may pop and feel like it is binding when you go around a curve slowly, or hence turn into you driveway...

Black
    2001 WS6

no i dont have any of that. its weird because it was all just a one time thing

White
    99 Z-28

Is it still shuddering at low rpm's? What clunking are you talking about when you pull into your driveway?

Black
    2001 WS6

its more of a vibration at low rpms. the clunking seems to be coming from the rear of the car when i go into the driveway. im guessing its suspension related due to the car flexing as it goes up the curb

White
    99 Z-28

Hmm... I guess just jack it up and crawl under... Checking the torque on all the rear suspension parts down there. Make sure there arent any loose bolts... Thats about all I can think of. Let us know if it gets worse.

Thread Information