What component repairs can be D.I.Y.????

This is a discussion on What component repairs can be D.I.Y.???? within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; How many repairs are within the scope of DIY jobs????? From car im used to it seems harder to access ...

midnight blue metalic
    2001 camaro z28

Red face What component repairs can be D.I.Y.????

How many repairs are within the scope of DIY jobs?????
    From car im used to it seems harder to access things motor and accesories and components all look different.
    my other car was more basic no air bag no a.b.s. no rear wheel disc, no power windows, heater core out, no a.c no cruise went out, no electric fans, manual water pump, all less clutter under hood more accesible to basic components.
    more upright design!
    i,m just concerned of the costs for future repairs , gas tire costs, ect compared to my other car.
    well also i,m not so enthused any more about working on cars as much and am ferful the mechs will kill me with their charges for basic thing like more labor especially cause i feel it will take more tim to do basic repais r7r than my other car thats all.
    Waterpump?
    Alternator?
    Oil pressure sending unit?
    Valve cover gaskets?
    clutch slave and bleeding?
    E.C.M. ?
    Brakes?
    Rack and pinion?
    Fans?
    window motors?
    Shocks?
    and any thing else?
    Last edited by denegrader; 05-01-2011 at 11:00 AM.

Black/ Silver
    98 TA WS6/ 01 C5 Corvette

Quote Originally Posted by denegrader View Post
    How many repairs are within the scope of DIY jobs?????
    Waterpump?
    Alternator?
    Oil pressure sending unit?
    Valve cover gaskets?
    clutch slave and bleeding?
    E.C.M. ?
    Brakes?
    Rack and pinion?
    Fans?
    window motors?
    Shocks?
    and any thing else?
    By component repairs do you mean just replacing the part and installing or actually repairing the component you have?

Pewter
    2000 Z28 Camaro

I'd say all those you can remove and install yourself.

midnight blue metalic
    2001 camaro z28

alright lets put it like this
    i worked on a ford 89 fer years and troubleshot myself, then changed myself, rack and pinon, alternator, water pump, fuel filter, battery, plugs, wires,oil changes, tightened valve covers b.a.p. sensor, took code w/ reader, changed radiator, thermostat, rear brake shoes, front wheel bearings, universal joints on the driveshaft, freeze plug, put a k and n filter,
    i had a shop do the following .... clutch replacement,change brake fluid, tie rod ends, rebuild 5 speed transmission r&r, r&r, fuel pump& heater core.
    This z 28 looks and i fear more difficult to work on pysicaly and mentaly.
    Pysicaly cause of more components, engines further back under cowel or firewall, cars lower, more electronics to go out, seat, window motors, coils on valve covers,
    Whats the black air resorvoir on top of radiator that ya got to remove for radiator removal?
    Oil pressure sending unit ya cant even see cause its behind the intake manifold. things like this. what 4 o2 sensors hat could go out?
    what if ya had to unbolt the cats and replace em in yer garage could ya do it?
    ya got a.b.s. may trigger a dash light, wat about cost?
    my 89 had no air bag, no a.b.s. no rear wheel disc, no power windows, no power seat, no air cond, cruise went out, heater went out, tires were smaller and cheaper, 89 octane instead of 91 octane,
    this z is more safe supposedly littl heavier longer wider than my 89.
    well gues i aint used to all the differences yet. i,m more careful driving this as i feel its just a way more expensive car new than when the ford was new .

Quote Originally Posted by 98TransAmWs-6 View Post
    By component repairs do you mean just replacing the part and installing or actually repairing the component you have?

Pewter
    2000 Z28 Camaro

Well it's pretty much the first car I worked on, and I haven't had any real problems I couldn't fix myself, besides the internals of the transmission.

If you've worked on cars before then definitely don't worry.

midnight blue metalic
    2001 camaro z28

just curious how the hell ya change an oil pressure sending unit when ya cant even see the sucker ???
    with a mirror?
    and isnt it crammed next to the firewall under the winshield w/ only what inches of room?
    i mean c'mon i aint houdini!!!!!
    also dont ya got to get a 1/2 dozen blankets on the motor crawl like a snake on top of it hopin not to break anything and ta see wat yer doin w/ a light and a mirror?

just curious wonder what a mech a shop would charge just to change it, a simple opsu, why did gm have to put it back there??????

Quote Originally Posted by allbaugh_04 View Post
    I'd say all those you can remove and install yourself.

Pewter
    2000 Z28 Camaro

It's pretty easy from what I hear. Plenty of people break them putting in different intakes. I never broke mine so I've never had to change it.

Yes, sometimes I crawl on top of the engine, there's no issue doing it. I put something soft on it and changed the spark plugs, made it a lot easier to do and I changed them all fairly quickly.

Could it be easier? Sure, but it really isn't that bad. After working in tight places on air craft there really isn't much worse out there than that. I did things there that I thought was physically impossible, but 10 hours later I was finished...

Black/ Silver
    98 TA WS6/ 01 C5 Corvette

Quote Originally Posted by denegrader View Post
    just curious how the hell ya change an oil pressure sending unit when ya cant even see the sucker ???
    with a mirror?
    and isnt it crammed next to the firewall under the winshield w/ only what inches of room?
    i mean c'mon i aint houdini!!!!!
    also dont ya got to get a 1/2 dozen blankets on the motor crawl like a snake on top of it hopin not to break anything and ta see wat yer doin w/ a light and a mirror?

just curious wonder what a mech a shop would charge just to change it, a simple opsu, why did gm have to put it back there??????
    Do not have a shop do it they will charge an arm and a leg. Just take the fuel rail and intake off and it is easy. Only took me about an hour to do it. I had a faulty injector and a bad pcv hose and the shop was going to charge me $800 because they had to take the intake off. I did it myself for about $120 and it took me about two hours because it was my first time doing it.

midnight blue metalic
    2001 camaro z28

Red face

well yeh im with ya on that and as long as kept my last car going by doing most all a my own repairs r&r's i'll just have to do the same with this one as well.
    yeah its wat i figure the crookmechs ill kill ya more now than ever over nothing .
    exactly wat gm and ford and all of em want ya to do anyways just as always more so now take it in to them!
    yeah just spoiled cause access for repairs was simpler on my last car that and i probably aint used to hearing how much their charging for r&r these days but ya sound like you know though

Quote Originally Posted by 98TransAmWs-6 View Post
    Do not have a shop do it they will charge an arm and a leg. Just take the fuel rail and intake off and it is easy. Only took me about an hour to do it. I had a faulty injector and a bad pcv hose and the shop was going to charge me $800 because they had to take the intake off. I did it myself for about $120 and it took me about two hours because it was my first time doing it.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/a little mods...

To change the OPSU you don't have to take the intake off necessarily. You should be able to reach and remove it with the proper socket. They make one for the OPSU specifically and mine cost me about $10. You will be doing it blind if you go this way and it is very hard.

The easy and long way is to remove the TB, remove the fuel rails leaving the injectors connected. Don't disconnect the fuel lines. Rotate out of the way. Disconnect the break booster hose from behind the intake, next remove the intake. 10 bolts the last 4 are a pain, you can loosen but not pull out. With some one else lift the intake and hold the bolts up and slowly pull forward. Disconnect the HVAC remember what connection it went to. Now you have free access to the OPSU. Reverse to put together.

If you follow the intake swap threads they will give you exact instructions. Above was more of a breeze through.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/a little mods...

As far as your list goes with what you already have done with prior vehicles it is just a matter of learning how and where everything is for this one. All of those I have either done or could do in my hm garage.

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by SMWS6TA View Post
    To change the OPSU you don't have to take the intake off necessarily. You should be able to reach and remove it with the proper socket. They make one for the OPSU specifically and mine cost me about $10. You will be doing it blind if you go this way and it is very hard.

The easy and long way is to remove the TB, remove the fuel rails leaving the injectors connected. Don't disconnect the fuel lines. Rotate out of the way. Disconnect the break booster hose from behind the intake, next remove the intake. 10 bolts the last 4 are a pain, you can loosen but not pull out. With some one else lift the intake and hold the bolts up and slowly pull forward. Disconnect the HVAC remember what connection it went to. Now you have free access to the OPSU. Reverse to put together.

If you follow the intake swap threads they will give you exact instructions. Above was more of a breeze through.
    same here for the OPSU I bought the socket designed for it and I was able to get it off without removing the intake. As for your concern with this kind of vehicle. This is my 1st muscle car and most modern car I ever owned. I had the same concerns that you had when i bought it. My previous cars were a 88 crown vic and 94 marquis. It was less electronics and more room to work on.

This is what I did, I found a site dedicated to an LS1, which you already found. Get the a chilton book or service manual. They are great to have. Get a OBDII scanner tool, it doesn't have to be fancy. Read alot of material or info on the type of vehicle you own. I used to(and still do) get on this site and read all the new threads just so I can learn about a particular issue. If you can't figure it out you can always post all your questions and we have some great members on this site that can share their experiences and make you get it done. Make sure you have a decent set of tools and I mean necessary tools not brand.

I was kinda of scared about this new electronics and sensors stuff. My best investment has been the scanner. If I have the SES light I plug it and find out which sensors are causing issues. I then do some research on their location and how to replace it. If is a bad sensor is just as easy as finding were is at, replacing it and reseting the SES light. Sometimes it could be as easy as pulling a sensor out cleaning it and problem solved.

This site is great about helping others and getting back to you asap. We even have mechanics in this site that work for GM.

My point is its kind of scary at the beginning but the more time you spend in learning your vehicle you will be more confident and comfortable to get the repairs done and save tons of money. We are here to help!

Pewter
    2000 Z28 Camaro

Does the Chilton's give you step by step with pictures for changing these parts? Because I bought the GM service manual and all it does and tell you how to do stuff and it's pretty vague.

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by allbaugh_04 View Post
    Does the Chilton's give you step by step with pictures for changing these parts? Because I bought the GM service manual and all it does and tell you how to do stuff and it's pretty vague.
    the chilton covers some steps and it has some pictures but it wont show you every single thing. The chiltons can be vague in some areas as well. but they are good references to have.

dark blue metallic
    2002 camaro z28

buy the helms manuals for your car thats what i did . expensive,but worth every penny.the phone number is in the back of the owners manual in your glovebox. plus the people on this website are very knowledgable and will help you with anything you need or tell how to get, or where to find it.

Thread Information