Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

What brake pads?

This is a discussion on What brake pads? within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Originally Posted by aerojt Nothing crazy, just the sound of the pads working... tough to explain... nevermind.. I understand :-) ...

Ticket Red
    M6 1998 Z-28

Quote Originally Posted by aerojt View Post
    Nothing crazy, just the sound of the pads working... tough to explain...

nevermind..
    I understand :-) especially when you are on a road coarse!

Black
    1998 Camaro SS M6 #1871

Thank you.

Sunset Orange Metalic
    2001 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by raysz28 View Post
    I understand :-) especially when you are on a road coarse!
    I must always have my music too loud

Red
    2000 Camaro SS #3574 A4

So I think I've narrowed it down to EBC yellow pads at all 4 cornors, and some Brembo slotted rotors for the front. all together it's about $400 shipped.

As far as comparison. I've always used plain rotors, and still do on all the other cars. But when it came to our 4th gens I wasn't too happy.
    Seemed the ceramic pads from Bendix produced so much heat it would warp the OEM rotors and the Bendix replacement rotors within 50 miles.
    Even warranty came through and replaced the pads and rotors, but I just couldn't get passed the 50 mile mark without pulsations.
    My 02 had this problem when it was new as well before it even needed a brake job, and GM warrantied the entire rotor and pad setup TWICE!!! Within 1,000 miles. Factory uses Ceramic pads by the way.
    We are talking very easy street driving here too.

That's when I got fed up and decided to try a different route. I needed to vent and/or cool these rotors somehow. I wasn't willing to go to a metallic pad so I tried the drilled and slotted rotors and I couldn't be happier.

Both of my 4th gens now stop better than they ever have in the past. With over 4,000 miles now and not even a hint of rotor warpage. One of the best things I could have done to both cars.

Check out R1Concepts. I got an entire drilled and slotted rotor package with their ceramic pads on all 4 corners for $280 shipped to my door. The price was so reasonable, that after I was certain they would hold up on my wifes daily driver I went ahead and put the whole package on my 02 as well.

PEWTER
    2001 TRANS AM WS6

hawk pads are awsome

Sebring Silver
    2000 CamaroSS

I got Raybestos rotors & ceramic pads for less than $270 shipped + a $16 rebate from rockauto a couple of months ago

Red
    2000 Camaro SS #3574 A4

Quote Originally Posted by rbob93 View Post
    I got Raybestos rotors & ceramic pads for less than $270 shipped + a $16 rebate from rockauto a couple of months ago
    for all 4 corners?

Sebring Silver
    2000 CamaroSS

Yes....all 4

SOM
    2001 Z28 (Sara)

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by bluefields88 View Post
    I am going to freshen up my brakes since they haven't really been looked out for the past 4 years. I need new brake pads. I'm not wealthy, so I am sort of on a budget. I don't need any racing pads, just some that are good for daily driving in stop and go traffic. Anyone have any advice on which to get? I'm also going to get some new front rotors as well.
    I would go with the Hawk HPS pads, I just sold my original brake components (4 stock rotors, 4 sets brake pads, 5 brake hoses) that were taken off of my vehicle @ 5K original miles for $100, that would have been an excellent deal for you.

SteveC

Red
    2000 Camaro SS #3574 A4

Quote Originally Posted by SteveC View Post
    I would go with the Hawk HPS pads, I just sold my original brake components (4 stock rotors, 4 sets brake pads, 5 brake hoses) that were taken off of my vehicle @ 5K original miles for $100, that would have been an excellent deal for you.

SteveC
    Damn, I could've even driven to pick it all up. haha

That's the same rotors and pads I tried using on mine for 2 different occasions. Couldn't keep the rotors from warping. They were nice enough to warranty everything, but after the second time I got sick of tearing it apart and went a different direction.

Sebring Silver
    2000 CamaroSS

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    That's the same rotors and pads I tried using on mine for 2 different occasions. Couldn't keep the rotors from warping. They were nice enough to warranty everything, but after the second time I got sick of tearing it apart and went a different direction.

I've just barely got 4k on them so far & I am loving them.....they seemed like a very durable rotor compared to the OEM

I've just barely got 4k on them so far & I am loving them.....they seemed like a very durable rotor compared to the OEM
    I like the quality of Raybestos as well. I still use them on all the other cars. When I compared them to the cheap chinese rotors they sell at half the price, the difference was night and day. Raybestos had more fins per inch, thicker construction etc...just a better rotor all around.
    I can't say for sure why they wouldn't stay under my car. I used Ceramic pads as well, just like GM does. Funny though, GM warrantied 2 sets of brakes on the car for the same issues. That's before I warrantied 2 sets of Raybestos brakes on the car as well. And I'm extremely easy on brakes.
    I can't explain it. All I can tell you is that when I switched over to a drilled and slotted rotor (still using ceramic pads) the brakes have been phenominal ever since. As if there was a problem with disipation of heat??? I really dont' know for sure.

Sebring Silver
    2000 CamaroSS

I'll keep an eye on them.
    I'm not at all easy on my brakes, I use them hard & no signs of warpage.
    Beats the hell out of the OEM shit they replaced.

It's always something I guess!
    Had a 1978 1/2 Harley engine that loved Champion RJ12YC plugs & 1966 Chevy 6 cyl. points only. Couldn't change her mind for shit!
    Maybe it had to do with the fact it was supposed to have electronic ignition

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information