Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Building My Ride

Black/Black
    2000 TransAm WS6

What are the best spark plugs to use?

I'm going to change the plugs and wires on my 2000 WS6 (for the first time) and was looking for some recommendation on the best ones to get.

All recommendations are appreciated

Thanks!

Sebring Silver
    2000 CamaroSS

Quote Originally Posted by KillerWS6
    I'm going to change the plugs and wires on my 2000 WS6 (for the first time) and was looking for some recommendation on the best ones to get.

All recommendations are appreciated

Thanks!
    NGK TR55

Keep your stock wire set unless you have a bad wire.

Welcome to the board.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

NGK TR55...unless your running FI or nitrous...then NGK 6's....
    Wires...I agree with the ol boy above....unless your wires are worn....keep em...

camaro_ss_97_
    i use ac delco rapid fire. they work well in my lt1 and i have a set of msd 8.5mm wires.

LeMans
    2005 Corvette 2005 GTO

Quote Originally Posted by rbob93
    NGK TR55

Building My Ride

Black/Black
    2000 TransAm WS6

Thanks for advice everyone. Looks like NGK TR55 and keep the same wires!

Excellent!

NGK TR55

Keep your stock wire set unless you have a bad wire.

Welcome to the board.
    ? How many miles can one get with the NGK TR55s before you have to change them. (? not plattum)

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

For fuel/air burning efficiencies I recommend changing all your plugs every 10K miles regardless.....cheap and a good maintenance exercise.....

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge
    For fuel/air burning efficiencies I recommend changing all your plugs every 10K miles regardless.....cheap and a good maintenance exercise.....
    ? cheap car repair shops want $ 400 to 500 bucks to change plugs on my 99 ss looks like a pain in the ass to me.

Number 8 is the only hard one, but gets easier after you've done it a couple times....don't pay a shop, do it yourself. I replaced my stock wires so I don't have to deal with the heat shields.

KillerWS6 - don't forget some anti-seize.

Black
    99 SS

Quote Originally Posted by skar
    ? cheap car repair shops want $ 400 to 500 bucks to change plugs on my 99 ss looks like a pain in the ass to me.

um it costs me $75 to get them changed, WTF!!!!!???

wow I will have to look around some more.

Black
    99 SS

i found an LS1 shop and it only took them an hour to do they said and the included the changing of plugs and wires.

Sunset orange
    01ss,85 pu,04ramdsl

# 8 you do from underneath the car you can also reach #6 too from there.Undo the air tube check valve to do #2&4, 1,3,5,7 are very easy.Don't forget a little antisieze on the plug thread and electrolyte compound in the wires ends.I recommend ngk if you've done some mods but if no mods stick with AC plugs.

Since the topic is "best plugs to use", I'll say model number E-3.62 from E3 for NA or H/C cars. More expensive than NGK TR-55's though.

Black
    2002 WS6

I just did mine. after taking off the coil packs and the passenger side air tube install was very easy. took about an hour. I would suggest tr55 gapped at 55

Sebring Silver
    2000 CamaroSS

Quote Originally Posted by LS1-450
    Since the topic is "best plugs to use", I'll say model number E-3.62 from E3 for NA or H/C cars. More expensive than NGK TR-55's though.
    At $6.00 apiece you're darn right more expensive!

How often do you change them?
    I've heard alot of people tell me how great they are, but have yet to find someone that actually has them in thier car and give me some straight dope on them.

Bob

Here's the dope; in many of my threads, have always complimented & defend NGK's as they are a proven inexpensive spark plug. The few times I've mentioned E3's it's been in an "if you want to try something different" type of suggestion. The first time I use the E3 as a response to a direct question asking my opinion on the best spark plug, am called out. Yes, I use them. Haven't changed them as this car is driven about 2K/yr maximum. When it gets to the point that they need replacement or I think they need to be replaced, will post the mileage. As for now, I don't know. Am always intersted in finding & using quality products. From information on the E3 site, decided to give them a try as it's the only true way to find out if it's marketing garbage or a good product. Have not had any trouble with them. What else would you like to know? How 'bout this one, "dyno results showed a 25 HP gain after using them." Seems as though you're looking for an internet experts' answer, so there it is. Am sure you've visited their web site. The information as to why it is an excellent spark plug is there. Does it perform better than other plugs; apparently so. Is it the design standard for future spark plugs. I believe so or wouldn't have tried something other than NGK's.

Funny how people will over spend on bolt ons, but, skimp on gas, plugs, wires...etc..
    We're talking about $48.00 here, come on.

BTW, I remain a fan of the NGK. Those I had changed about every 10K or so. However, plan to use the E3 in all of my cars. Will likely stay with E3's from here on until there is another available technology advantage.
    Last edited by LS1-450; 10-24-2005 at 09:09 PM.

Sebring Silver
    2000 CamaroSS

Quote Originally Posted by LS1-450
    Here's the dope; in many of my threads, have always complimented & defend NGK's as they are a proven inexpensive spark plug. The few times I've mentioned E3's it's been in an "if you want to try something different" type of suggestion. The first time I use the E3 as a response to a direct question asking my opinion on the best spark plug, am called out. Yes, I use them. Haven't changed them as this car is driven about 2K/yr maximum. When it gets to the point that they need replacement or I think they need to be replaced, will post the mileage. As for now, I don't know. Am always intersted in finding & using quality products. From information on the E3 site, decided to give them a try as it's the only true way to find out if it's marketing garbage or a good product. Have not had any trouble with them. What else would you like to know? How 'bout this one, "dyno results showed a 25 HP gain after using them." Seems as though you're looking for an internet experts' answer, so there it is. Am sure you've visited their web site. The information as to why it is an excellent spark plug is there. Does it perform better than other plugs; apparently so. Is it the design standard for future spark plugs. I believe so or wouldn't have tried something other than NGK's.

Funny how people will over spend on bolt ons, but, skimp on gas, plugs, wires...etc..
    We're talking about $48.00 here, come on.

BTW, I remain a fan of the NGK. Those I had changed about every 10K or so. However, plan to use the E3 in all of my cars. Will likely stay with E3's from here on until there is another available technology advantage.
    Called out?? What are you talking about??
    I have offended you by asking for some help in making a decision?

I’m not looking for an “internet experts” answer, just some basic info on replacement frequencies, mileage improvement, HP increases etc.
    I’m looking for real user info, not some websites claims.

If you can provide me with that, great, but don’t take offense in me asking questions about a product you recommend.
    I thought this site was for sharing info, and discussing cars and such.

For me, $48.00 is a lot of money; I may not be as well off as you may be, and prefer not to be taken in by false claims in advertising.

Have a beer and chill.

Bob

BlackHawk T/A
    Called out?? What are you talking about??
    I have offended you by asking for some help in making a decision?

I’m not looking for an “internet experts” answer, just some basic info on replacement frequencies, mileage improvement, HP increases etc.
    I’m looking for real user info, not some websites claims.

If you can provide me with that, great, but don’t take offense in me asking questions about a product you recommend.
    I thought this site was for sharing info, and discussing cars and such.

For me, $48.00 is a lot of money; I may not be as well off as you may be, and prefer not to be taken in by false claims in advertising.

Have a beer and chill.

Bob
    I think you need to read his post a little more carefully and chill yourself...

Thread Information