Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

What are the best spark plugs to use?

This is a discussion on What are the best spark plugs to use? within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Wonderful!??! I did a little research a while back and the concesus was that Bosch +4s were the hot ticket. ...

Old Geezer

Pewter
    2000 Z-28

Wonderful!??! I did a little research a while back and the concesus was that Bosch +4s were the hot ticket. After three hours and a pint of blood I finally finished the job and still had a miss. Now, I find you guys and hear the NGK is the only choice. Where were you all when I started this project? Actually, where was I? :-/ So, bottom line, NGK is the way to go? I'm not looking for guarantees, only opinions, and I'm thankful for those.

Sebring Silver
    2000 CamaroSS

Quote Originally Posted by jlhansen
    Wonderful!??! I did a little research a while back and the concesus was that Bosch +4s were the hot ticket. After three hours and a pint of blood I finally finished the job and still had a miss. Now, I find you guys and hear the NGK is the only choice. Where were you all when I started this project? Actually, where was I? :-/ So, bottom line, NGK is the way to go? I'm not looking for guarantees, only opinions, and I'm thankful for those.
    Bosch +4's are a great choice too, just a bit more expensive. Many opt for a plug costing less and the NGK works well for us and are high quality.

As far as your miss goes, you may have a bad ignition wire, or you may just think it's a miss. These engines have a somewhat sloppy idle and are not entirely smooth.

And yeah, where were you?

Bob

Bronx

Cool Bosch +4's here

Bosch + 4's here at 20K. Now at 90K everything seems to be running just fine.

Old Geezer

Pewter
    2000 Z-28

Well, that makes me feel a bit better (re. Bosch +4s). I knew they were higher in price and just bit the bullet and bought them. I'm not sure about the idle either. I get a check engine light and the code showed miss (so my son told me), so I'm about ready to take it in for some professional help. As far as where I was, Bob, well, I was in the dark. Where else? :-) I'm hoping this site, and all you educated types, will give me the details I need to make this beast roar again. I have to fix the bottom end, courtesy of my other son (new k-member and oil pan), but I have high hopes of making it go long and strong.

Thanks for the plug information. I almost changed the wires, but didn't. I'll check them. Just dumping that heat shield will be a plus the next time I have plugs to change.

Smile, all.
    jeff

Sebring Silver
    2000 CamaroSS

New K-member & oil pan??!! WTF did he run over??

What kind of car are we talking about here?
    You didn't say you were throwing a code.

Bob

Old Geezer

Pewter
    2000 Z-28

He aired it out, a bit I guess, and came down on a BIG rock. It looks like it hit at the K-Member because there's no hint of contact forward. From there it took the bottom of the oil pan and exited in front of the passenger rear tire, taking out the ground effects on that side. I think I can epoxy a back piece over the break and fix that, but there's no saving the other two. I'm just hoping that the sump pickup is still intact and there was no contact with rotating stuff.

The car is a 2000 Z28. I don't remember what the code was, but my son said it was for misfire. I know that the intake duct, aft of the airbox, needs to be re-sealed (big air leak) and the vacuum line into the intake track at the air valve is cobbled together (I need to buy an new one). Other than that, the vacuum lines look good and it seems to run fine on the top end, so I'm suspecting EGR or something like that. The bottom line is that it's beyond my meager equipment and is challenging my skills/patience. I'd much rather have a 68 without all the other junk hooked to it.

Sebring Silver
    2000 CamaroSS

That's fairly serious from the sound of it, and costly.
    The oil pan is an integral part of the block on an LS1 engine you know. Might be all kinds of crap in there after that, and the block may have a crack or two.

You might want someone to look it over if you have minimum skills.

You also might want to take the keys from your son before he does himself some serious damage.

Good Luck!

Bob

Old Geezer

Pewter
    2000 Z-28

It's deeper than that, actually. He almost (but for the grace of God) rolled it. I can't believe how much of an incline he went across without flipping it. The truth is that the car belongs to the older son and the younger one trashed it. The politics are pretty dicey at the moment, but the younger is still alive so there's hope.

The dynamics of the event make it look like we should be okay. The K-Member took the brunt of the vertical impact and the rock seems to have sheared the sump. It looks like it was about 1/2" short of clearing, judging from the metal left and the amount of the concave damage. I don't think that part of my skills is too much lacking; I'm mostly lost with the ECUs and sensors since I don't have the diagnostic equipment and a person without directed experience can't really tune by the seat-of-the-pants anymore. Since I don't have the money to pay someone else to do this job I'll just have to hope I can muddle through. It looks like GMPartsDirect will be selling me the pan/gasket, but I think I found a K-Member on here.

Thanks for the well wish.

jeff

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information